Vintage Denim?

johnmc

When I was at the Levi's archives in the Spring I brought up the pocket bag stampings on the 30's - 50's jeans and they were completely unaware of them so we pulled a couple pairs of 40's jeans and low and behold there they were. They had no idea what the number could represent and speculated it could be the bag factory (the pocket bags were sourced) and the bag size. On all of my 30's, 40's, 50's vintage Levi's they are on there on the backside of the bag, either in black or red ink and with an "x" between the two sets of numbers for example "155x24". Up until seeing Paul's jeans I have not seen them on Levi's past the early 60's. Curious if they switched to a water soluble ink.

FYI - The new Lightening "All About Vintage Denim" has to be one of the best vintage denim resource books to come out in a long time. Worth it at any price.

$16.65 at Kinokuniya. Lots and lots of coverage of lesser known brands.

Here is a photo of a spread from it that I just posted on the Jeans of the Old West thread showing Mike Harris and some of his collection:

2010-09-13017.jpg

When I was at the Levi's archives in the Spring I brought up the pocket bag stampings on the 30's - 50's jeans and they were completely unaware of them so we pulled a couple pairs of 40's jeans and low and behold there they were. They had no idea what the number could represent and speculated it could be the bag factory (the pocket bags were sourced) and the bag size. On all of my 30's, 40's, 50's vintage Levi's they are on there on the backside of the bag, either in black or red ink and with an "x" between the two sets of numbers for example "155x24". Up until seeing Paul's jeans I have not seen them on Levi's past the early 60's. Curious if they switched to a water soluble ink.

interesting that it could be the source of the pockets. i have seen pocket stamps before, but I haven't seen sizes or code numbers marked on the denim.

I am overdue a visit to a friend with a couple of pairs of deadstock 50s... (he's an ex employee, and knows a lot about production quirks). He will know, or hopefully know someone who knows what they meant circa 1970. And I can check his

Sad, of course, that all of that expertise has been dispersed. There was a head of production I chatted to (or argued with) at Valencia St in 1995, I wonder if he's still around. I'll make a few enquiries.

Nice post paul, interesting information and great photos of your Levi's. Would rep but I have to spread it around. I'm Interested in what you were arguing about, with the Levi guy????

They were producing the Capital E reissues; I was wearing a pair of Lee Riders, and of course Levi's Japan and Evis had produced excellent repros too, and the Capital E were inaccurate; wrong pocket shape, just a generic repro, which they sold in a box for lots of money. I was suggesting they lose the box and get the detailing right. It didn't go down well. Now I wish I'd been less confrontational, got more details about production, and taken photos, I'm sure there was loads that guy could have told me.

forgot to take pics, but found some almost vintage jeans at the thrift store this weekend... some little e redline 501s. huge size... 44 waist on them... but luckily i have a friend who is 300+ lbs, and they fit him perfectly. still fairly dark, with the only fading some lines on the legs from machine washing.

best part? one pair was 5$ and one was 2$

Wow! Hard to say wihtout seeing the back, or the fly stitching. 55-65? I had some early 60s that were the same black-ish colour and stitching faded to that color. What's really amazing is that there are four pairs with such similar fades, which haven't been washed that much...

'50s work apron

Solid indigo and red selvedge edge.

IMGP7047.JPG

The apron strung up. Hanging chest pockets. Selvedge at the bottom. The ropes are tied through grommets and cross behind the back, kind of like overalls suspenders.

IMGP7174.JPG

More selvedge niceness.

IMGP7177.JPG

Grommets at the top of the bib...

IMGP7178.JPG

Includes a little hidden selvedge.

IMGP7180.JPG

Fit pic.

IMGP7208.JPG

My first post, I hope you find it interesting.

My Type III LEVI'S jacket, bought from deadstock in Switzerland some 25 years ago I believe it to be from the late 60s. The denim still is in pretty good shape with a lot of very dark areas but the stitching is falling apart. I would like to restore it to its previous condition, any recommendation on who can do it correctly?

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As promised

Some nicer shots of the early 101LJ posted before. I wanted to get these on before I sell it (sleeves too short) - although the pic quality is marginal (bit new to the GF's EOS). There is nothing better than vintage denim. Apologies for those of you fed up with my lee 101LJ posts.

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

Troy mills lining info label

IMG_1042.jpg

Real bakelite buttons (plastic buttons used from 1959 onwards)

IMG_1035.jpg

:)

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is just amazing, have spent the best part of the last hour reading every page...Didn't know there was this much appreciation for vintage here. The storys about the old shops in the 70's and 80's are brilliant, shame they no longer exist!

I actually run a blog about the difficulties finding vintage denim in the UK, trying to locate the very few places that still stock this stuff. Have posted it on the LVC thread with good response but I really should post it here.

check out http://www.bluegoldblues.com

ps just got my hands on a 50's type 2 levi jacket will post details over the next few days.