Vintage Denim?

johnmc

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

At last I managed to upload some pictures from my vintage Levi's collection.

12022010134.jpg

From front to back:

505-0217 Big E 'F' #5 - Talon zipper, no redline denim

501 '66' #6 - redline denim

501XX Big E 50's - v-stitch, hidden rivets

501XX Big E early 60's #J - v-stitch, hidden rivets

501XX Big E late 60's - v-stitch (Sold)

11022010101.jpg

501XX Big E #J

501 '66' #6

517-0217 #2 Single stitch back pocket

501XX Big E 50s

505-0217 Big E 'F' #5 Talon zipper

505 #5 Talon zipper, Single stitch inseam

Those my vintage Levi's denim collection, not LVC.

Here is picture of my previous LVC collection. Almost all of these jeans already with new owners.

11022010103.jpg

From left to right:

501XX Big E 1947 LVC

517-0217 Big E LVC

551ZXX Big E LVC

201XX Big E 1937 LVC

501 Big E 90's Anniversary

You know that #J is Japanese repro right?

J22 is the early Lvc japan repros, 'J' is a letter often found on the back of the button fly on 501's around the very early part of the 1960's (also the letters - K, L and W are sometimes used (circa 1959-64).

Just took 517 jeans from the shop for chain stitching. Previous owner cut this jeans to about 30" inseam and not done it nicely. This is my second mint condition 517 in my collection but got chain stitch in side back pockets instead of single stitch on my first sample.

12072010526-001.jpg

Nice 557 Wywh,

Need more pics!

Could I get some details from you?

From the pic, the pocket flap hasn't got the early shirt-weight material (it feels thinner and also wears differently over time)?

Also can you tell me if the number/letter on the button-backs is an O or a D or the number 17?

Thanks in advance

:)

You can find more pics and other details in my blog here:

10-B-0004: Vintage 60s Levi's 557XX Big E Jackets W40

Yes, it hasn't got the shirt-weight material you mention but surprisingly it's heavier and thicker than you thought. The denim was almost identical to my 501XX with #J previously and I predict it will end up with almost the same fading effect.

The button-backs were #D and also small #17 on pocket buttons.

I also have #O jackets here:

10-B-0007: Vintage 60s Levis 70505 Big E Jacket W40

Since the small label was missing, it's slight confusing whether it is a later 557 sample or an earlier 70505 sample. The bar tack on the pockets were lemon/orange color that indicates a 557 jacket but that's not necessary the case I think. Could you or anyone help here?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Fardin! Chucko! Stormrider fans everywhere...

Was 'uming and 'arring over which thread to post my latest aquisition (vintage/WAJean jackets/Leepro?), but in the end decided that it had to be the Vintage one, as in my opinion, true vintage is anything over 50 years old.

This wonderfull jacket can be definatively dated to 1953-56.

Early Lee 101 LJ

sufu101LJ006.jpg

Second phase black tag ('53-56)

sufu101LJ015.jpg

Lining is hemmed with shirt-weight material and is seperated from the waistband of the jacket (I believe this changed around 1958)

sufu101LJ008.jpg

sufu101LJ014.jpg

sufu101LJ013.jpg

Has a seperate piece of denim attached, for added strength when the button is punched through (later models simply had more material to fold over thus eliminating said extra denim squares)

sufu101LJ012.jpg

Union workers guarantee ticket is placed in the opposite pocket than later models too-

sufu101LJ011.jpg

Sooo happy with it!

:D

this jacket is insane dr, where did you find it and how much did you pay???? i am stunned, STUNNED, but i think this is even an older one, must be from the late 40s dr.

warehouse made a repro of this jacket ths year

http://ware-house.co.jp/index.php?page=item&ic=31066

this jacket is insane dr, where did you find it and how much did you pay???? i am stunned, STUNNED, but i think this is even an older one, must be from the late 40s dr.

warehouse made a repro of this jacket ths year

http://ware-house.co.jp/index.php?page=item&ic=31066

Thanks Fardin, knew you, of all people, would appreciate this awesome jacket. I am too - stunned, cannot believe my luck. I just sit there laughing (manically) for hours while looking at it.

I bought it from USA via ebay, and my highest bid was $185, it sold for $182.50!

It is complete, with no holes/rips or stains, and is definately a 53-56 model (the Lee/warehouse version is also 53-56). Plus, it's a size 46 so fits great !

To recap

Remember that this lee 'riders' type jacket came out in 1945- the first label was the plain black tag with Lee embriodered in gold, with red outlining (1945-53), then this type -

sufu101LJ015.jpg which was the first to have the lot # (embroidered in red here)

Then in late 1956, the lot # was embriodered in gold, and the words 'sanforized denim/shrunk lining' first appeared, like this.

sufu101LJ016.jpg

This label preceeded the first Lee 'stormrider' white neck tag, with the rider in-the-storm motif, around 1958.

:)

182,50? thats incredible. yes it is a beautiful jacket and its even nicer that its your size. just think how much the warehouse repro cost? as paul said so many times there are still some nice original lees to buy. maybe its because your size is 46. i salute you mate and have fun with this jacket. i can feel how lucky and happy you are. and thanks for sharing!!! wish i could rep you

182,50? thats incredible. yes it is a beautiful jacket and its even nicer that its your size. just think how much the warehouse repro cost? as paul said so many times there are still some nice original lees to buy. maybe its because your size is 46. i salute you mate and have fun with this jacket. i can feel how lucky and happy you are. and thanks for sharing!!! wish i could rep you

Thanks Fardin, took eight years to find one.

I will do a little 'comparison essay' in photos when the GF brings her nice camera down again, really show off the details.

These are getting rarer. So very pleased with it. I'll not wear it too often, as the lining is very fragile and not very thick (the 1960 one is slightly thicker and will get more wear)

Will be taking some more pix for this thread soon - Original 506xx, 557xx and some 501's, so watch this space.

photo-1-1.jpg

all vintage.

Top row all 501xx

mid 50's (wife's), late 40's (wife's), late 40's, late 40's

Middle row all 501xx

early 60's (wife's), mid 50's, early 50's

Bottom row - all wife's

late 40's 701xx (worn from deadstock), early 60's 503bxx (worn from deadstock), 30's 701xx

Side

40's 506xx

all of my wife's are in regular rotation and washed every time she wears them.

The likelihood of finding NEW vintage denim is slim, or even worn vintage denim.

I've found a handful of vintage pieces, most are nothing to speak of... but I have a pair of youth 501's from the early 60's that I wore for a while. After 3-4 wears I realized I was putting a lot of strain on the jeans, and had damaged the paper tag.

so wearing vintage stuff sort of kills the things about the pieces I appreciate.

And like whats been mentioned Repros are easier, if you find a cut you like you can wear the hell out of them knowing you'll be able to get another pair should something happen to them.

with actual vintage, if you screw them up their screwed up and its highly unlikely you'll be able to find what you want at as reasonable of a price.

all that being said, millions of 501's were made. I say if you can find them wear them... don't be that guy who buys a MINT copy of the first pressing of a beatles album and puts it on display and doesn't give it a single listen.

=rF=

I say if you can find them wear them... don't be that guy who buys a MINT copy of the first pressing of a beatles album and puts it on display and doesn't give it a single listen.

Yeah, I agree with you. I've yet to find a 40s or 50s vintage that I could really wear them like the '47 repro that I wear now.

I just scored this early 60's 501XX vintage hidden rivets but still not long enough for me. And I don't really like roomy back and tight like this.

05082010593.jpg

05082010607.jpg

05082010603.jpg