Oxford Shirts

the_state

Shit, i know there's a decent thread about oxford shirts somewhere around these parts, but the new search functions are absolute garbage and I couldn't find it.

I figured we could make a new thread to cover the jawn coppers and us peasants that need to debate Uniqlo purchases and such. Pros/Cons, accessibility, wear-ability (long tails, etc), price-quality-fit ratios, and so on.

Brooks Bros Black Fleece is probably the most underrated shirt around these parts. I'm not sure if the stodgy stigma of BB throws off the SuFu contingent, but these can usually be copped at discount, and the quality/fit are both very spot on.

The new Brooks Bros extra-slim fit has gotten some shine here but i haven't had the chance to check them out in person. BB's oxford shirt quality is always top notch and these look very impressive for the price. Based on previous posts, it seems they shrink up nicely after a wash or two but sadly are only fit for the tucked in look due to the shirt tails.

Enough's been said about the Uniqlo oxford. They've really dumped it the past few seasons by trimming productions costs to maintain/lower the price point. Fit and price are great but the fabric is absolute garbage since the first spot-on run a few years back..

I just stumbled upon the Land's End Canvas Collection, which pretty much looks like a half-assed attempt to cash in on the trad/Americana wave of the past 3 years. They have a cheap oxford that looks promising, for the price. Anyone here have experience with it? Based on the model's pics, they might have mucked up the cut, especially in the sleeves. If i can find a free shipping code or something i might order myself one.

Feel free to add your findings/comments.

club monaco oxford sizing is shit

size XS fits like a M, tent sleeves for real

AA oxfords have a horrible collar roll

the fit is slim but not flattering. and the collar button is wierd

j. crew 'tailored' fit is okay. i think you could only order XS online though

not sure about those Lands End oxfords... probably fits like shit. is 'canvas' the same shit that is carried at the lands end section at sears or something?

not sure about these kent wang ones yet. supposedly they fit really, really slim. someone please kop and throw up a fit pic.

or you could do a MTM oxford for like $65 bux @ like mytailor.com

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=177418 for the Oxford thread I started. I ended up getting myself a few Fred Perry oxfords. They fit amazingly and since I work for the company I got them for next to nothing. With I could have found something that fit right with no logo on it though.

yoooooooooo....

it's about the details and fit, nothing to do with fabric, tbh, because ox's wash out and treat themselves like denim. you get the choice between 20's, 30's, 40's ox's and those don't necessarily represent quality over goal. An ox isn't supposed to be a fine broadcloth shirt, there is separate fabric for that and it is made in different grades to according costs. Oxford though, is around the same cost whatever thread count you choose.

BBBF has mad details, I'd wear them too, but they're like $300 around my way, Gitmans are like 2 bills, Uniqlos are $10 a piece and sit halfway up my forearms, so I had to make my own. I think that shit like buttons, chest pocket and placket construction, and placket attractiveness play bigger roles in wearbility over time. Ox's are to be washed many times, tumble dried, to get frayed around the edges, and worn on Sunday afternoons and given to nude girlfriends in the mornings.

the BB Black Fleece is on sale too right now

too bad the sizing has been totally wierd lately.

BB0 used to fit me well; tried on recently, now for some reason it fits boxy, and has really short sleeves.. (think like 14.5/31)

perfect length for untucked though

i think fabric matters a bit cause i have the steven alan oxford from this season (sample sale on the cheap). fits well and all but the fabric is really hairy and i'd come home after wearing it and thered be pilling all over the area near the hem because thats where my bookbag sits. i tried on a h(y)r gitman oxford at nom de guerre and it was really nice: really smooth but thick.

Tbh you just want your oxfords to fit well and last. Youre not gonna baby your oxfords like they were a fine charvet shirt, I wear my oxfords everyday and to parties and they get trashed sometimes. They need to be replaceable, so nothing too expensive.

Rugby is good for everyday wear, Polo aint bad if you dont mind the logo, I love the collar and fabric on brooks shirts but theyre cut too big for me. Gant rugger is not bad, i have a couple shirts that i really like, theyre cut kinda short so they come untucked, which might be good for people who like them untucked. BoO is way too expensive, cut for tiny people and you cant tuck them. JCrew oxfords i dont love for some reason, the colors look a bit washed out, they need to be more vibrant imo, good for cheap i guess.

I still need to try black fleece on for fit, i do love the fabric on them, good buttons and collar too, on the pricier side but can be had with for a little less

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

dunno what happend to the other oxford shirt thread

here are some more mercer and sons 15.5 32/33 available on ebay

great deal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Mercer-Sons-blue-shirts-professionally-laundered-folded-15-1-2-origin-97-/320770533697?pt=US_Men_s_Dress_Shirts&hash=item4aaf69e941

i like BBBF although like someone else mentioned, it seems sizing has gotten bigger. On the other hand, it seems there's almost always someone with tons of shirts on StyleForum selling them for like $50-$60 so there's an amazing bargain to be had there

• 2 weeks later...