Martin Margiela - jacket sleeves WTF?!

Tyler

Hey all

Have done a search but can't find anything on this and thought this would certainly be the place to ask. Bought a gorgeous Martin Margiela jacket this week - two button, grey. Fits perfectly apart from the sleeve length - which is very long and comes almost to my thumb knuckle on both sleeves. Now the Martin Margiela boutique said that this is how Margiela jackets are meant to be but now I'm home I'm not so sure it looks right. But i don't want to get the jacket altered at the shoulder to shorten the sleeve as have had this done before and it's ruined the fit on the shoulder. The button details mean that taking up from the cuff is a no no.

So my question is (know it's hard without pics) has anyone else been told that Margiela jackets should be worn with the sleeves slightly longer (i.e. to the knuckle) and will the cuffs wear and fray quicker as they are worn so low?

Anyone have any thoughts on wearing jackets of this type (i.e smart/two button) with a longer than normal sleeve? Looks a bit like this guy's sleeve length (but only the sleeve length the jacket style is different): http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/2006/10/at-martin-margiela_03.html

Thoughts? Wear? Fit?

And if consensus is it looks a bit shit - anyone know of a brilliant tailor in London you can hook me up with?!

Thanks all

T

you bought a line from the shop assistant - it's not unusual for jacket sleeves to be on the long side so they can get shortened. i assume you have functioning buttonholes so yes, shortening at the shoulder is really the only option unless you're talking a half inch or so. just find a really good tailor and cross your fingers, i'm sure there's a thread for this on styleforum

in the future you should factor these costs (financial, emotional) into whatever you're paying for the jacket. IMO RTW jackets should not include functioning buttonholes for this reason