Looking to get a suit (advice?)

stunna7516

It will be my first real suit. I had a shit one that I have worn in the past but the fit is awful and I look like an old man rather than a 22 y/o. I need one for job interviews and the occasional wedding, funeral, and maybe some more casual gatherings, but probably won't need to wear a suit to work.

I'm hoping to take advantage of some post Xmas sales and get a nice suit with a more modern cut for between $500-$700. I'm a consistent 40R (and 32 waist) and have an athletic build. I am set on getting a 2 button suit, and I am thinking solid dark navy or charcoal color will be most versatile since I doubt I will purchase another suit for at least 4-5 years. Any advice on where or what to look for or avoid as I shop around? Thanks.

PS: Also, can someone tell me if Jil Sander, Dior Homme, Raf Simons (etc) suits tend to run small enough that I would be OK with a 42R instead? I know their other clothing runs small and I might be forced to order online since I don't live in a great shopping area.

go to a brooks brothers to try some stuff on. they have a modern slim 2 button notch lapel suit called the fitzgerald. come sale time, i think you can spend $300 or less for a suit jacket and pants.

if you're in ny, check out the uniqlo jil sander collection. i'm a 40R and the large suit jacket fits me well for $130 before tax. including pants separates, which is $50, you can get a jacket and pants for <$200

don't order suits online. suit measurements are tricky and it's always better to try it on in store. jil sander and current raf simons run true to size. 40R should fit right

in your case, it's all about getting a suit that fits as close as you want it, and then spend another 50 - 100 bucks tailoring it. That should do the trick.

As others have said I've heard great things about Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald Suit, but another suggestion I do have is Ralph Lauren Black Label: Anthony Suit

pics:

pPOLO2-4925632_lifestyle_v330.jpg

pPOLO2-3745079_lifestyle_v330.jpg

ralphlaurenblacklabel12.jpg

Broke the DJ, there's nothing wrong with my advice.

Made to measure is another option with some ones I would recommend such as:

Thick As Thieves (http://www.thickasthievesla.com/)

Steven Aver (http://www.stevenaver.com/)

Thick as thieves is half canvassed while steven aver is full floating canvass construction. There have been many happy customers from both.

Despite this, MTM does not guarantee the perfect fit, and often your first suit will not fit perfectly. It make take up to 2 or 3 suits before it gets done spot on. Shipping back to forth can also rack up the cost a bit.

There's nothing wrong with off the rack, especially the ralph lauren black label suits - on discount which i hear is quite frequently they are absolutely beautiful suits, and a great slim cut!

I would love to hear what others would think as well!

Superhero, TAT is fully canvased. You're right about it taking a few tries to get the perfect fit though. I had to get my first jacket tailored once and sent back the measurements. For a good year, I also found the fit of the pants a bit strange but got those tailored as well and everything's perfect and TAT has all of my new measurements in file if I need a new suit.

Also, I take back what I said about OTR. I've been really impressed with the Jcrew suits lately, and they're very cheap.

that anthony looks pretty good in the second pic too. i read the posts too hastily.