Uniqlo S/S 10 (incl +J)

readytoignite

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone seen this jacket in the Soho store?

http://www.uniqlo.co.uk/catalogue/men/outerwear/404390-blue-cotton-linen-slim-fit-jacket

Super cool but I don't want to end up proxying it.

i wouldn't know, i went by yesterday and they had closed early for inventory - wankers.

i would try calling them, it looks like the style # is in the URL if they can't grok the description

Got my UJ T-000. As everyone has said, they feel pretty cheap. And as everyone has said, the cut is very good. They're very similar to my Geller denim/twill, which is exactly what I was hoping for after I saw a fit pic on NF One.

I was able to size correctly as opposed to the regular t-000 where I had to size up one.

? the JP shirt sizing is exactly the same for me after sizing up vs US size, at least prior to this season.

they have a bizarre sign out that says a JP XL fits like a US M

i didn't even ask about the second drop since it'll be on explorer ahead of time - i would expect it to be summer stuff - polos, shorts, s/s linen shirts etc.

From the WSJ:

Retailer Shops For Deals

By MARIKO SANCHANTA and JURO OSAWA

TOKYO—Fast Retailing Co. Chairman and Chief Executive Tadashi Yanai said the operator of Japanese retailer Uniqlo is on the hunt for acquisitions and plans to spend as much as $11 billion to strengthen its global presence.

View Full Image

Associated Press

'We could grow organically, but it would take a long time,' says Tadashi Yanai, chairman and CEO, shown at the opening of the Paris branch of Uniqlo last year.

Mr. Yanai, who founded the purveyor of cheap-and-chic clothes in 1984, has made no secret of his ambitions to transform Uniqlo into the world's leading global apparel retailer, leapfrogging the likes of Gap Inc. and H&M operator Hennes & Mauritz AB. He said in an interview Thursday that acquisitions would be necessary, particularly in the U.S. and Europe, to reach that goal.

"For a company like ours, it's not unusual to spend 1 trillion yen (about $11 billion) or more," he said adding, "We could grow organically, but it would take a long time."

"It's like getting married," he said, adding, "we need to find the ideal bride for us."

Although Mr. Yanai didn't mention specific acquisition targets, "the bigger the better," he said. The target company wouldn't have to be similar to Uniqlo in terms of products, but it would have to accept Fast Retailing's management philosophy, he added. "We shouldn't buy a company that we can't control," he said.

Mr. Yanai didn't detail how it might raise 1 trillion yen, though the company is in secure financial position. In the year ended in August it had roughly $1.8 billion in cash and about $2.8 billion in net assets.

View Full Image

Associated Press

Fast Retailing chief Tadashi Yanai at the opening of the Paris branch of Uniqlo last year.

Fast Retailing, Japan's No. 1 apparel retailer by sales, contrasts with other major Japanese companies that are seeking to expand abroad but have less access to cash amid the economic decline in their home market. Its ambitions come as Japan's traditional icons, such as Toyota Motor Corp. and Japan Airlines Corp., face quality questions and financial difficulties, respectively.

"We are a new kind of Japanese company," said Mr. Yanai, who is one of Japan's richest men. He added, "What happened to Toyota is a great shame. The company is a source of pride for the Japanese."

Mr. Yanai said the company has learned from its past expansion mistakes. Earlier in the decade Uniqlo closed some U.K. stores and closed its small number of U.S. locations amid disappointing sales. Mr. Yanai said the success of its lone remaining U.S. store since it opened in 2006, in New York's trendy SoHo district, convinced him further expansions should center on major urban areas that are more accepting of foreign brands.

He said the company's acquisition strategy includes finding a foothold for its Uniqlo brand, which is known for simple offerings such as tunics and leggings, and getting more global brands.

In 2007, the Japanese retailer made an unsuccessful $900 million unsolicited bid for upscale retailer Barneys New York.

It has carried out smaller purchases, such as buying the Princesse tam.tam lingerie brand in 2005, and the French Comptoir des Cotonniers brand in 2006.

"We are looking for a company that can become Uniqlo's platform in the U.S. and Europe," Mr. Yanai said. "At the same time, we want to increase the number of global brands in our portfolio."

Fast Retailing also operates other brands such as Theory, which originated in New York.

Uniqlo is focusing its organic growth efforts on Asia, where it has stores in China, Hong Kong, South Korea and Singapore. "Asia is still an underdeveloped market, whereas in the U.S. and Europe there are already competitors," he said. "It is less likely we can expand as rapidly [in the U.S. and Europe]."

Mr. Yanai said Uniqlo was planning to open a store in India within the next two to three years, as well as outlets in San Francisco, Los Angeles and more shops in New York City.

The retailer is planning to open its fourth store in Shanghai this spring, as well as its first store in Moscow. It opened another shop in Paris's Opera district last year.

At a time when consumer spending in Japan is in the doldrums and deflationary pressures are returning, Fast Retailing reported a net profit for the year ended in August of 49.80 billion yen, up 14% from the year before, while sales rose 17% to 685 billion yen.

Mr. Yanai also said he wants to make Uniqlo products available world-wide through electronic commerce channels within a year or two.

Questions have been mounting regarding Mr. Yanai's successor, and he said that the individual didn't have to be Japanese, as long as they had "Uniqlo DNA" in their bloodstream.

The company is currently training about 200 people for management positions, he said.

Write to Mariko Sanchanta at [email protected] and Juro Osawa at [email protected]

for the people who thought it was tl;dr :

Mr. Yanai said Uniqlo was planning to open a store in India within the next two to three years, as well as outlets in San Francisco, Los Angeles and more shops in New York City.

The retailer is planning to open its fourth store in Shanghai this spring, as well as its first store in Moscow. It opened another shop in Paris's Opera district last year.

has anyone dealt with the "nylon bomber jacket"

t2nbxxevxxxxxxxxx196993.jpg

what's your opinion on it, and does it actually come with a hood ?

i.e http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/396/dsc05846a.jpg

and would you say +J and standard uniqlo shirts in S fit true around a 46?

I live out in NZ where I can't try the shit on.

Cheers

I haven't checked for a hood (although I do believe that one is included), but the nylon material is more shiny than you expect from this picture (3 degrees less than a trash bag, maybe?). For me, that was a deal breaker, but I''m sure someone more extroverted could pull it off.

A +jJ small would probably be the best size, or a regular Uniqlo xs, but I'd try for more opinions

ha! so the NJ stores were failures and not disposable stepping stones... onemancult, i demand a full apology.

Those NJ stores were destined to fail.

They put them in really suburban lily white parts of NJ like Freehold. They could have put them in like Edgewater\Fort Lee where there is a lot more Japanese folks living there who are familiar with the brand. They didnt have any collaborations, skinny jeans, or stuff like heat tech. Most of the models in the store photos were asian which are aliens to suburban white people. They just had the most basic plain tshirts, underwear, sweatpants like the most boring ass stuff you would find in the Uniqlos in the most rural parts of Japan.

has anyone dealt with the "nylon bomber jacket"

t2nbxxevxxxxxxxxx196993.jpg

what's your opinion on it, and does it actually come with a hood ?

i.e http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/396/dsc05846a.jpg

I live out in NZ where I can't try the shit on.

Cheers

There are some pics of the nylon jacket on the Japanese site showing it with a zip out hood.

http://store.uniqlo.com/jp/CSaGoods/299897-69

I haven't tried the nylon jacket, but the other +J items in S fit pretty true for a 46. Standard Uniqlo shirts, however, are quite large on a 46.

while the std uniqlo (whatever that means) is cut more generously than +j, you don't necessarily have to size down. in fact i would advise against it since it may screw with other proportions (shoulders, sleeve length, neck etc)

Those NJ stores were destined to fail.

They put them in really suburban lily white parts of NJ like Freehold. They could have put them in like Edgewater\Fort Lee where there is a lot more Japanese folks living there who are familiar with the brand. They didnt have any collaborations, skinny jeans, or stuff like heat tech. Most of the models in the store photos were asian which are aliens to suburban white people. They just had the most basic plain tshirts, underwear, sweatpants like the most boring ass stuff you would find in the Uniqlos in the most rural parts of Japan.

yes - they were initially positioned like old navy and put mostly into low end malls, a total misread. you missed the last discussion of this but omc said some dude claimed this was done on purpose and the business plan was always to wind down the NJ stores - now disproven by the CEO himself!

WHERE IS MY APOLOGY>??>

for the people who thought it was tl;dr :

those aren't important. The fact that they want an online shop is big news for the US at least.