supermusic: because music is style too.

naturaljax

Quote:
Quote: Papa M

Heh...i smoked a joint with him last summer in some abandoned warehouse in Louisville. He and some other guy were working on there "metal" band. God it was awful.

Probably top 3 people ive ever smoked with though, pretty cool dude.

Edited by Carl on Mar 7, 2006 at 04:07 PM

--- Original message by Carl on Mar 7, 2006 04:06 PM

you in louisville? i grew up there. love the city and a lot of the music coming out of it righ tnow.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

qoute: "BEST LIVE SHOW EVER: LIGHTNING BOLT. In terms of fight for your life to brainfuck noise metal kind of show of course..."

yeah... i missed them when they played here, but my friend almost lost his eye... dude was wearing an eye patch for almost a year!!

denim is the new crack

Quote:

Any musicians in here?

Own up.

I ran a tiny CD-R label for awhile called 23 Virii. It was solely for releasing my and a friend's electronic noise music... did pretty decent for awhile, got good feedback, but life got in the way.

--- Original message by onemancult on Mar 7, 2006 07:04 PM

i am.

check it out if you care for a listen.

http://www.myspace.com/nebakanezzah

its some poretty crazy shit, we do live drums and live guitar and the rest of the shit is all done via laptop, and we rock out.

chwa?

True, but much of what is considered 'good' actually isn't.

It all depends on what your perspective is.

I feel that people too often jump on the substance over style

side of the argument without realizing that the most substantive

of artists are some of the most incredible people stylistically- but,

that doesn't necessarily mean they're fashionable or trendy,

they just have a particularly unique way of being that becomes

iconic. Whether or not that becomes a part of fashion

is something else altogether- Neil Young had style, but he wasn't

stylized or stylish. There's a difference.

You can't really say that any of the music we've all talked about here is

stylized or lacking substance... so what, exactly, your point is, I'm not sure.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: Papa M

Heh...i smoked a joint with him last summer in some abandoned warehouse in Louisville. He and some other guy were working on there "metal" band. God it was awful.

Probably top 3 people ive ever smoked with though, pretty cool dude.

Edited by Carl on Mar 7, 2006 at 04:07 PM

--- Original message by Carl on Mar 7, 2006 04:06 PM

you in louisville? i grew up there. love the city and a lot of the music coming out of it righ tnow.

--- Original message by mlproject on Mar 8, 2006 07:46 AM

Naw, im originally from Oregon.

I go to school at WKU down in Bowling Green. All my best friends from here grew up in Louisville so i spent a decent amount of time there this summer.

and for epic battles with swedish viking death metal bands.

fintroll and mayhem and let's not forget the D&D favorites, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Dragonforce and Rhapsody.

hammerfall- hearts on fire (video made with the Swedish GOLD medal CURLING team. i'm sorry, the WOMEN's curling team. epic.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MmN3ChQ2H8Q

rhapsody-unholy war cry (epic crane shots, a dark warlord, and Christopher Lee. yes, saruman.)

finntroll - trollhamaren (viking death metal. beards. accordians and bear skins. oh yeah, human bone instruments too)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8674378383274620772&q=finntroll

Edited by dystaind on Mar 8, 2006 at 01:48 PM

I really can't deal with all that power metal stuff, clean vocals, D&D-inspired lyrics... I can't find the inner geek in me to get all feisty over it and cast Level 5 Fire on people.

Mayhem are classics, though... come on, they've got a song called "Chainsaw Gutsfuck"!

On a slightly more serious note, how much of your like/dislike for music is influenced by the musicians themselves?

I mean, Lou Reed is perhaps an obvious example - he's a twat, but his music is great. As much as I feel that music should be judged on its own merit without the bells and whistles of on-the-road stories, drug overdoses and general personas, it's sometimes hard to distance the musicians from their music. Take someone like Pete Doherty or Kurt Cobain - both average musicians with a sprinkling of talent, but the only thing that thrust them into the mainstream was the fact that they were/are junkies. In the case of Nirvana, the stories seem to last a lot longer than the music - the next 13 year old you pass in suburbia wearing a Nirvana hoody is not a fan because the music "speaks" to him.

Considering that this is first and foremost a fashion/clothing website, when you talk about style in music are you talking about the music itself, or the style of the musicians? Is it about indie music or indie haircuts?

Quote: Take someone like Pete Doherty or Kurt Cobain - both average musicians with a sprinkling of talent

I disagree. As someone who was around when Nirvana appeared I'm inclined to believe that the angle that he approached 'Nevermind' at did change rock music. It destroyed Heavy metal - which remained listless for years afterwards before it started to pick itself up again - and united legions of indie kids the world over.

A lot of that might well have been down to the marketing department, but they didn't write his songs. And in terms of fashion, I doubt they told him how to dress either.

Quote:
Quote: Take someone like Pete Doherty or Kurt Cobain - both average musicians with a sprinkling of talent

I disagree. As someone who was around when Nirvana appeared I'm inclined to believe that the angle that he approached 'Nevermind' at did change rock music. It destroyed Heavy metal - which remained listless for years afterwards before it started to pick itself up again - and united legions of indie kids the world over.

A lot of that might well have been down to the marketing department, but they didn't write his songs. And in terms of fashion, I doubt they told him how to dress either.

--- Original message by sybaritical on Mar 8, 2006 04:11 PM

Not sure I agree with that - the way I see it, all Nirvana did was to follow in the footsteps of the punk ethos that had destroyed prog and metal a decade earlier. Killing off the likes of Iron Maiden is certainly commendable, but not exactly groundbreaking.

I'm not proud I was wrong. Thanks Carl icon_smile_blackeye.gif

Yiiiiiiiieeeah ... Cobain actually admitted writing teen spirit while listening to the Pixies ... But in my defense, I saw both bands a couple months apart in London in '91, and they where totally different from each other live.

Edited by sybaritical on Mar 8, 2006 at 04:55 PM

Quote:

And lets not forget that Come As You Are is actually 80s by Killing Joke, and Smells Like Teen Spirit is More Than a Feeling by Boston.

Territorial Pissings was original...

--- Original message by blindlemonjefferson on Mar 8, 2006 04:49 PM

YEAH! I noticed that and I flipped out... The Come As You Are/Killing Joke connection. Is the general public educated on this?

IT GETS WACKER BY THE SECOND!

Compare the opening 10 seconds of "U-Mass" to the opening 10 seconds of "Smells Like Teen Spirit"...

Nirvana were great and will go down in the canon of rock music (as will the Pixies probably) but what they did was hardly original, they just made it accessible to the masses.

Quote:

I'm not proud I was wrong. Thanks Carl icon_smile_blackeye.gif

Yiiiiiiiieeeah ... Cobain actually admitted writing teen spirit while listening to the Pixies ... But in my defense, I saw both bands a couple months apart in London in '91, and they where totally different from each other live.

Edited by sybaritical on Mar 8, 2006 at 04:55 PM

--- Original message by sybaritical on Mar 8, 2006 04:55 PM

That's because one consisted of intellectual UMASS grads and the other was just a bunch of doped-up teenagers.

to take on things into a different perspective

music has trends, ups and downs, and eclectic all-overs just like fashion. think of a band like a designer... i mean it's not much of a wonder that abercrombie and hollister go hand in hand with pop music. it's a form of expression. and sometimes a lack thereof :)

in my mind i try to stay open minded about music. in a lot of way i like to be the same about fashion. i mean yes there's a certain type of music i gravitate towards, and a certain look i head towards, but i think there's a large parallel between how someone dresses and the music they listen to. i mean, we still put our pants on pretty much the same way as they did a century ago. in that ways fashion is still similar and so is music. the good news i'd say is that nowadays there's no one specific style or one specific music genre that really defines and characterizes our decade. as a whole it varies from year to year, where there's the boyband boom, the discovery of "pop emo", "indie" becoming the new cool, gangster rap, or the latin craze. all of these happened within a few years of each other and in some ways at the same time.

however i think that if you become dogmatic about one thing-- whether it be fashion, music, or *coughreligion* then perhaps you fall into a dangerous category. that's for a whole nother topic and debate though.

bouncing around to lightning bolt. spring break is pretty much here.