supermusic: because music is style too.

naturaljax

Queensryche's operation mindcrime was an OST when I was at school. Wasp's the headless children had some bits that still make my spine tiingle ( the bridge in 'The heretic' is awesome) and peculiarly, 'Number of the beast' hovers in my all time top 40 peripheral on a permanent basis. My collection is the aural equivalent of a of a spider trying to spin a web on LSD.

Milspex: you like Ministry? I see your outfits in WYWT and often think of Al Jourgensen

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my head blown open really young when it comes to music. For whatever reason, the first three pieces of music I ever bought were bootleg tapes of Wu Tang's 36 Chambers, Gwar's Ragnarok, and The Bodyguard soundtrack. I was something like eight or nine, and I remember tripping balls over those three... what a fucking weird kid!

I still think Ragnarok is an awesome album- jokes aside, Gwar is a great metal band. Wu Tang's still legendary. And, as for The Bodyguard soundtrack... I love Dolly Parton. Her early stuff is so raw, it's funny how over-the-top her music and image became.

By the way, I totally forgot about this: onemancult on Soulseek. I'm in the process of throwing all my music onto a external hard drive I just bought, so pickins' are slim right now, but I'll mention when I open up shop.

I LOVE MINISTRY.

And PAILHEAD... that shit is amazing. AL Jourgensen with Ian MacKaye from Minor Threat. CRAZY.

But in other news.

I HATE NUMETAL. IT'S FOR 17 YEAR OLD GOTH RAVERS WHO'S MOTTO IS "FUCK YOU MOM AND DAD U DON'T KNOW ME!" WORST PLAGUE UPON OUR PLANET!!!

IT GETS WACKER BY THE SECOND!

yeah, i hit the nu-metal trend right when i was in middle school and at the most influential horribly ridiculous phase of my life.

i was a tool in middle school.

oh man, gwar as a first album, that's some good stuff. they've come here twice and i've missed it both from external situations. still... maybe there's next year.

man... i guess i had it good music wise growing up... my dad was into "alternitive" in the mid 80s, so i always heard violent femmes, dead milkmen, english beat, joe jackson, ministry, etc.... then i got into hip hop early, i remember getting it takes a nation of millions back in 4th grade, bdp, tribe... never got nu-metal, but i was almost out of school by then and stopped listening to the radio altogether.

one thing i dont think ive seen here is dancehall... any sizzla or capleton fans here?

denim is the new crack

Quote:

was a musician back in the day. was awful.

sybaritical-- battles man. booyah.

fixoid-- i like kenji kawaii's work on ghost in the shell the most. avalon was pretty decent.

does anyone know city of caterpillar? been really diggin malady of late, i enjoy it's differences from city of caterpillar.

anyone check out envy? my friend said they're going to drop a new album in japan this summer. also eastern youth is touring the west coast. if you're around in march, check'em out. wonderful heartfelt 'emotional' punk rock. those dudes have been around forever.

--- Original message by dystaind on Mar 7, 2006 08:49 PM

i used to listen to a lot of what was going on in the richmond scene a few years back (i.e. pg99, majority rule, city of caterpillar). ever since those bands all split up its been a pain in the ass trying to keep up with all the offshoots and ex-member-core. haram are playing here in a few weeks so i might check that out.

lately :

tragedy

joni mitchell

john denver

meneguar

in constant rotation :

public enemy

black sabbath

thin lizzy

two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

Guest Fade to Black

Man...right now I'm listening to Prince - "If I was your girlfriend" ... i think this song is a total work of genius, it sounds bleak and empty, the instrumentation sounds almost clinical yet the whole song feels sexual at the same time. Easily my favorite Prince song ever.

Edited by Fade to Black on Mar 9, 2006 at 12:02 PM

Quote:

I question the current tastes of all ex-nu-metal fans. Inexcusable!

As for myself, I don't seek out new music, like...ever. I get my aural excitement from NPR. I'm not proud of that.

--- Original message by neawts on Mar 9, 2006 11:14 AM

npr is good shit... im proud thats where i get all my news...

denim is the new crack

Quote:
Quote: one thing i dont think ive seen here is dancehall... any sizzla or capleton fans here?

not dancehall, but i seriously love 70's dub King Tubby, some Upsetter stuff, even some of the early Scientist, or Prince/King Jammy

--- Original message by haptronic on Mar 9, 2006 01:06 PM

tubby is the king... unreal shit... man made all of his equipment himself... invented so much

denim is the new crack

Anyone here feeling JUSTICE?

Their EP came out on Vice Records.

Shit is fucking bananas. If u like electronic music.

They are like the new Vitalic. Their remixes are killing the clubs right now.

Quote:

Anyone here feeling JUSTICE?

Their EP came out on Vice Records.

Shit is fucking bananas. If u like electronic music.

They are like the new Vitalic. Their remixes are killing the clubs right now.

--- Original message by RedFoxxworth on Mar 9, 2006 06:15 PM

I hope you are talking about the fucking awesome hardcor eband from Belgium.

Cause they are honestly one of the best bands out right now, hands down.

If you dont know who they are, get on it http://www.myspace.com/justicehc

Quote:

Queensryche's operation mindcrime was an OST when I was at school. Wasp's the headless children had some bits that still make my spine tiingle ( the bridge in 'The heretic' is awesome) and peculiarly, 'Number of the beast' hovers in my all time top 40 peripheral on a permanent basis. My collection is the aural equivalent of a of a spider trying to spin a web on LSD.

Milspex: you like Ministry? I see your outfits in WYWT and often think of Al Jourgensen

--- Original message by sybaritical on Mar 9, 2006 06:51 AM

I`m new to the Metal. My best friend was a metal head in high school and flicken thru his metal mags back then always thought guys like Ministry had got looking baddass down to an artform - maybe it subconciously influenced what I like to wear?! Always wanted the long metal hairdo also. Next time Im unemployed Im gonna do it!

Iron Maiden are so fucken corny sometimes and obviously an inspiration for Spinal Tap but they`re fucken great too - Its all good but a big fan of the powerslave album at the moment. 2 minutes to midnight and Powerslave kill it!!

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

I've been listening to a lot of classic punk lately, mainly the Clash.

While I don't really like what the genre has evolved into, I LOVE the stuff from the 70's. Especially the Clash, they're really, really good.

My favorite tracks by them have to be Complete Control, Train in Vain, White Riot, Clash City Rockers, I Fought the Law, and some others.

Whoo, they're good

I been rappin' for about 17 years..

I don't write my stuff anymore,

I just kick it from my head you know what I'm sayin I can do that.

No disrespect... but that's how I am.

Coil?

Coil is fucking GOD. i would inject Unnatural History Vol. 1 intravenously if i could install a fiber optic digital toslink input into my arm.

apocolyptic nihilism. thats whats up. get some doom metal in your head to further spiral yourself into suicidal depression.

like Sunn((o)) and Khanate or maybe some Isis

can anyone stand Merzbow? its like the audio version of taking 14 hits of LSD at once. it's reverse zen meditation and i find it actually very therapeudic at times. there is one incredible merzbow-related compilation i forgot what its called but it had an amazing roster of artists from Pan*sonic to Autechre.

brian eno - shutov assembly and apollo is a must

def Throbbing Gristle, Killing Joke and some Swans.

Aphex twin (ambient works, even some early afx/analog bubblebath series). Autechre (chiastic slide, anvil vapre). Squarepusher (Big loada, feed me wierd things), Plaid, Kinesthesia, and the rest of those wacky Warp/Rephlex IDM people. if you like that schizophrenic LSD glitchy shit theres a guy on myspace by the name of Terminal11 that does some incredible computerfucking.

to make your blood even saltier dont forget about these classics:

Slayer - reign in blood, Sepultura - arise.

and other such 80s thrash metal... Annihilator, Nuclear Assault, Kreator, and a lot of bands with the word ANGEL in it? i like it all, thanks.

plus of course the usual suspects... late 70s-early 80s punk, post-punk. Siouxsie - the scream is truly a brilliant record, right up there with unknown pleasures and the substance compilation.

hey i really like Death from Above1979 for some reason.

any post-punk new wave kids like Tones on Tail anymore?

icon_smile_blackeye.gif

Coil?

Coil is fucking GOD. i would inject Unnatural History Vol. 1 intravenously if i could install a fiber optic digital toslink input into my arm.

apocolyptic nihilism? Sunn((o)) and Khanate for that slow, painful doom metal where every song has to brutally drone on at subsonic-bowel-agitating-brown-noise-frequencies for at least 20 min.

can anyone stand Merzbow? its like the audio version of taking 14 hits of LSD at once. it's reverse zen meditation and i find it actually very therapeudic at times. there is one incredible merzbow-related compilation i forgot what its called but it had an amazing roster of artists from Pan*sonic to Autechre.

brian eno - shutov assembly and apollo is a must

def Throbbing Gristle, Killing Joke and some Swans.

speaking of acid, Aphex twin (ambient works, even some early afx/analog bubblebath series). Autechre (chiastic slide, anvil vapre). Squarepusher (Big loada, feed me wierd things), Plaid, Kinesthesia, and the rest of those wacky Warp/Rephlex IDM people. if you like that schizophrenic LSD glitchy shit theres a guy on myspace by the name of Terminal11 that does some incredible computerfucking.

to make your blood even saltier dont forget about these classics:

Slayer - reign in blood, Sepultura - arise.

and other such 80s thrash metal... Annihilator, Nuclear Assault, Kreator, and a lot of bands with the word ANGEL in it? i dont give a fuck, i like it all, thanks.

plus of course the usual suspects... late 70s-early 80s punk, post-punk. Siouxsie - the scream is truly a brilliant record, right up there with unknown pleasures and the substance compilation.

hey i really like Death from Above1979 for some reason.

any post-punk new wave kids like Tones on Tail anymore?

icon_smile_blackeye.gif

Edited by Meth Huffer on Mar 13, 2006 at 06:07 AM

I love Tones On Tail. Thought they did better after Bauhaus than Peter Murphy, except for the album Dust, which was some epic stuff- the heavy Middle Eastern influence crossed with the industrial-lite sound made it a gem.

Horse Rotorvator is my favorite Coil album, hands down. I'd huff it.

I regularly drop the needle on some Merzbow for when I need my head cleaned out.

It's not reverse zen at all, if you get into that little spot where all that shit thrashing

out your eardrums is like little pick-axes destroying your ego, you've got yourself a

very zen-like state of mind.... and some bloody ears.

Throbbing Gristle/Genesis P-Orridge are a big influence on me. And Swans/Michael Gira.

His short stories are so fucking disgusting that they double back and are actually beautiful.

I think Juju is a better Siouxsie & the Banshees album, but that's just me.

It's more refined, and darker yet than The Scream...

Quote:

and for epic battles with swedish viking death metal bands.

fintroll and mayhem and let's not forget the D&D favorites, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Dragonforce and Rhapsody.

hammerfall- hearts on fire (video made with the Swedish GOLD medal CURLING team. i'm sorry, the WOMEN's curling team. epic.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MmN3ChQ2H8Q

rhapsody-unholy war cry (epic crane shots, a dark warlord, and Christopher Lee. yes, saruman.)

finntroll - trollhamaren (viking death metal. beards. accordians and bear skins. oh yeah, human bone instruments too)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8674378383274620772&q=finntroll

Edited by dystaind on Mar 8, 2006 at 01:48 PM

--- Original message by dystaind on Mar 8, 2006 01:42 PM

That Finntroll video is awesome!! Thanks for posting that.

It doesn't beat my all time favorite though.

Satyricon- Mother North

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_-XFy0DheUg

When he blows fire on the upside down cross... that's a classic!

the last batch of stuff i bought consisted of:

matinee orchestra - s/t lp

the research - breaking up cd

belong - october language cd

the young knives - here comes the rumour mill cdep

the rakes - all too human pt1 cdep

graham coxon - standing on my own again 2 x 7" & cdep

Quote:

jesu is amazing.

today consisted of:

chain of strength - what holds us apart

108 - holyname

one last wish - viva le liberte

gray matter - thog

ignition - complete services

swervedriver - raise

red sparowes - at the soundless dawn

m83 - before the dawn heals us

--- Original message by headtowall on Mar 13, 2006 07:15 PM

i fucking loive before the dawn heals us. i dont have any track titles cause i got it burned but whatever the last tract is, i heard it is something like close your eyes adn die with the sun or somethign like that. but fuck that shit rocks beyond msot.

lately, more broken social scene

ive started listening to dave matthews a bit again

a bit of bloc party

some Go! team

anyone here heard of gavin bryars "the sinking of the titanic" its some abient shit but its very relaxing.

chwa?