Post a photo of your bookshelf...

Baeyer-Drewson

There is occasionally an unintentional glimpse of the odd bookshelf in the various WAYWT threaks (honorable mentions; farmer, erk), and I always enjoy this when it happens.

Whenever I visit someones home I usually check out their bookshelf, typically without even thinking about doing so. I guess a bookshelf is a sort of character compass in many ways.

Please post a photo

displaying your love of books;

a thread for your shelf.

cant really see much at this image size but whatever. going to college in a different country (and having access to an incredible campus library) means i didnt take many books with me, so it's mostly stuff i had to read for class, and magazines.

p1010266k.jpg

nice shelf, man!

I'll post up one of mine when I go back to my house tomorrow.

This thread is fantastic!

• 3 months later...
with the advent of e-books i wonder what libraries 50 years from now will look like...definitely don't think physical books will be as common as they are today.

I think books will always exist in much the same way that photographs do today. The rise of digital photography means that printed photographs are not strictly necessary, yet people will always continue to print and display photos for various reasons.

As soon as an ergonomic, multi-format e-reader is available I will almost certainly buy it and it will replace a large portion of my current bookshelf. But at the same time I do like holding a physical book in my hands as I read it. I own various first editions, library bindings, and signed copies of certain books and they are some of my most treasured possessions.

I think you're right cyberPUNK, books will always exist in the future, but they will be much less common and therefore more valuable. I think digital books will almost entirely replace the whole mass market publication industry.

will post later, wanted to save this thread, beginning my book collection. I wanted to get all classics but i got sucked into others, as well as putting my art shit in shelves where they dont belong and take up to much room.

• 1 month later...

On ebooks yh, obviously doesnt feel the same as a real book. (Got the iriver story recently as a gift and i'd much prefer ink on paper.) They're also supposedly a good ice breaker with the opposite sex, and so that'll be no longer viable if we all start using tablets.

Anyway, i like bookshelves around the place. Makes for good decoration. i'll have to remember to post pics once i move and hook up internet.

i echo landho on this thread deserving more life.

im a bit of a transient so i dont have a bookshelf, the books i have loved are scattered here and there, so here is a list of books that would be on my shelf if i had one:

the prophet - kahlil griban

a sand county almanac - aldo leopold

the condition of postmodernity - david harvey

moby dick - herman melville

poems 1923-1954 - e e cummings

remnants of the first earth - ray a young bear

black eagle child - ray a young bear

lone ranger and tonto fist fight in heaven - sherman alexie

imagined communities - benedict anderson

be here now - ram dass

dialectical materialism - henri lefebvre

hagakure - yamamoto tsunetomo

love in the time of cholera - garbiel garcia marquez

the andromeda strain - michael crichton

the waste land - t s eliot

a small place - jamaica kincaid

and a bunch of mens fashion magazines, of course

hm not a lot of books here like you guys have but theyre books i could read any time. theres a lot of books out there i like like american psycho or invisible man but i dunno if id buy them

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...