Music Producers / Studio Thread

naturaljax

Hey, good to see people still posting in here.Haploid/Destructo I am liking the latest stuff.

Havent done much music in a while, but here is a track that I was working on a while ago.

http://soundcloud.com/sift/grey-area

Feedback appreciated.

Yo man pretty cool, nice ravey synth. Would try to have the snare stand out a little bit more but other than that pretty good mix too.

say guys wats up. got a question.

I have a padkontrol laying around that i want to use. im using ableton live 8 and haven't found out how to fully take advantage of the drum pads (for example having selected sound on the pads i want)

now is it possible to achieve the control i want out to the padkontrol or should i invest in a MPC type device or keyboard?

Yo man pretty cool, nice ravey synth. Would try to have the snare stand out a little bit more but other than that pretty good mix too.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I agree about the snare listening back on it, what snares do you guys like to use? I like 909 for kick but have yet to find a go to snare.

Royalefatale, when I get a chance I'l listen to your track on my monitors and give some feedback.

I wouldn't replace the sample entirely, just give it a bit more weightyness and presence with some effective EQ and compression. Saturation does wonders as well for near everything. You might also try bussing all of your drum elements into one bus and compressing that for a tighter drum sound as well.

I wouldn't replace the sample entirely, just give it a bit more weightyness and presence with some effective EQ and compression. Saturation does wonders as well for near everything. You might also try bussing all of your drum elements into one bus and compressing that for a tighter drum sound as well.

Ah. Ive never been really big on saturation on drum elements,not really into that driven sound, Il give the bus/comp idea a try.

In general what snare samples do you like?

I'm not talking about "driven" I'm talking about "thickening". Slight saturation or overdrive will do wonders to any sound if done correctly. Try some parallel saturation by bussing part of your kick's signal to a return and lightly saturating (so nothing sounds noticeably driven) the high mid freq "snap" of the kick for example.

As for samples, I tend to combine stuff from old breakbeats with claps and snares from 808s, Claptrap samples and that kind of stuff. I have like upwards of 3 sounds layered for each major element (kicks, snares, toms) in order to get things the way i want. Most of the snares you hear in produced music are layered, either various drum machine samples or breakbeat samples or some combination. The trick is learning to make the snare (for example) you'd like from your selection of samples. Sorry if it sounds like I'm beating around the bush, but I don't have a specific snare sample I rely heavily on other than the basics (808s etc) I'm assuming you have.

http://www.acapellas4u.co.uk/10692-gucci_mane_-_im_the_shit_dirty_acapella

Alright, this one is pretty good quality and would be interesting. You have to make an account but its worth it cause there are a lot of good acapellas on there anyway.

So I guess I'll touch base in like a week to see when the deadline should be?

Oh alright. I'll set up a soundcloud account and put it up as downloadable on there and post up the login info once everyone's ready so they can upload their track to it too.

word word. i got a long way to go before producing something real dope. those are my first few beats ever made. alot to learn. let's see what i can come up with next to brush up. thanks for the input, disk!