Music Producers / Studio Thread

naturaljax

If I wanted to start creating music of my own, what hardware should I be starting with? I've been toying around with FL for about a year now but I want to get some hardware and actually create something worth releasing.

If I wanted to start creating music of my own, what hardware should I be starting with? I've been toying around with FL for about a year now but I want to get some hardware and actually create something worth releasing.

There are way too many different types of tools out there for making music that you'll have to narrow it down. Do you want hardware to use with your computer and software or hardware that works completely by itself? 

First random suggestion off the top of my head is an OP-1. 

Edited by hooper

There are way too many different types of tools out there for making music that you'll have to narrow it down. Do you want hardware to use with your computer and software or hardware that works completely by itself? 

First random suggestion off the top of my head is an OP-1. 

OP-1 is a waste of money for what it does, yes the engineering and GUI is nice, but for the price you'd be better off with something else, or going all software even.

OP-1 is a waste of money for what it does, yes the engineering and GUI is nice, but for the price you'd be better off with something else, or going all software even.

The reasoning behind my suggestion is that for someone who's never used hardware before, the op-1 is a great educational tool to learn about and understand LFOs, ADSR envelopes, effects, sequencers, sampling, mixing, etc. It's full of enough fun and unique gimmicks to keep you mentally engaged compared to how exhausting some other hardware can be. And if you were to get bored of it, it's second hand value is very strong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still absolute garbage by a long shot, but I'm figuring out what kind of music I like to make, and learning a lot along the way. Every time I make a quick 30 second clip of something, it turns out to be really good practice. Here's the latest thing I made, a little ambient and almost game OST type of thing; Harbor

edit: feedback/advice/criticism appreciated.

Edited by charisma

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanna get into DJing and making mixes, do you guys think the APC40 is a decent tool for that? I don't know much about DJing yet, but i've seen it used during live sets (by groundislava and other dudes). I've always wanted to get one for production, so it would be nice if it could be used for DJing as well. also because I can't afford a traktor

Just downloaded Renoise after listening to a bunch of breakcore. As simple as the mechanics are, I just cannot wrap my mind around the vertical tracking. Anyone else run into this problem?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

made this a few weeks ago: https://soundcloud.com/alexamiles/ii-i-v-1

with this sample: 

figured id drop it for any cats who are big on flips/frequent the flip this thread of FP because i see it being mentioned alot in here

i like this.  clean.

made this today:  https://soundcloud.com/mike-roberts-76/life-is-round

getting a little better with samples.