Music Producers / Studio Thread

naturaljax

i'm having trouble getting that deep, heavy 808 bass. if it's deep enough, it's not loud enough, and vice versa.

for example this one sounds decent on headphones but not on speakers: http://soundcloud.com/ph3n/goclone

it initial thump at like 60hz is there but i have to turn up my monitors a lot to hear the tail end, the release isn't long enough or it's not loud enough, maybe try this: http://www.magesy.eu/audio-samples/incredible-808s-wav.html

• 2 weeks later...

111166913-1-650x650.jpg

http://www.purpletap...ree.com/?p=9054

I produced this entire album. Lemme know what you think, and share it around if you feel it

kool thread bro

I use:

computa

Ableton Live 8

Korg padKONTROL

daz it!

I've been teaching myself what to do for a little over a year. Here is a beat I made last month, excuse the rough export! http://www.throwthisaway.org/10-7.wav

u come a long way hommie, good 4 u

whoever was asking about sub basses there are some nice sample packs floating around that take a lot of the guesswork in post-processing out of using soft synth basses, would recommend ital tek sub basses and heavy weight analogue sub basses, you can find them floating around the net :)

whoever was asking about sub basses there are some nice sample packs floating around that take a lot of the guesswork in post-processing out of using soft synth basses, would recommend ital tek sub basses and heavy weight analogue sub basses, you can find them floating around the net :)

wait wait wait....people use sample packs for making Subs???

Wowowowow that's sorry, is it really that hard to add another oscillator in a matching lower frequency? -___-

is it really that hard to add another oscillator in a matching lower frequency? -___-

it's never this easy, especially if you're dealing with bass heavy music, not to mention it's better practice to mix them separately anyway. i'm sure you know how sine bass changes in perceived volume across octaves, it's one more thing to deal with along with compression, etc...and because it's just sub bass anyway why deal with it? simply adding another osc wouldn't pass the car or club system test.

nah but seriously i'm tryna learn, what are the pros/cons of a sampled sub vs a synth sub?

sampled subs are usually processed through hardware, for the most part all you have to adjust is the overall level and play it through your sampler like you would a soft synth, soft synths generally need compression, EQing and some adjustment in volume depending on the range you're using to avoid losing certain notes in the mix when you want them to all be present at the same level, but there's also no standard in sample packs, they'll both require some fine tuning either way.

yea generally a sampled sub will just be louder and fuller than a VST note. people (hopefully) wouldn't go through the process of exporting, sharing, and putting their name on huge amounts of .wav files if they sound like shit. but it's nice to know how to get both audio and midi to sound how you want. one's just quicker.

the only reason why a sampled sub would be louder than a vst one would be b/c the sample was normalized. a sine wave is a sine wave regardless of what is producing it. very basic physics. now, if you want to argue that an analog sub is fatter than one that has been converted to digital bits, thats a whole different matter entirely.

for larger subs, everyone needs to realize that its not usually the sub freqs u need to increase in order to get a fuller sound, but the harmonic content tricking the ear into thinking its hearing more sub than it actually is. usually a touch of saturation can accomplish this, but if you're in massive, for example, pulling up the feedback of the low pass or band pass you are using to filter your sub can greatly "thicken" and make the sound heavier. another great way to do this is to slap a few limiters on the bass track and set them in such a way that they produce harmonically-musical artifacts. most basses can be touched up using some combination of the above to get the desired result.

while i agree it's good to know how to do things both in the plug in domain and the sample domain, each has their pros and cons that you must weigh in relation to how you want your track to sound. generally, for more "organic" bass, i'll use a highly-processed sample of some sort so that i can get more "texture" from the artifacts that come from transposing the audio's pitch. If i need a bass to be tight, full and BIG, i will almost certainly use a synth bass.

keep in mind the only technical difference between a sample bass and a synth bass is that one is bounced to audio...

Edited by haploid

wait wait wait....people use sample packs for making Subs???

Wowowowow that's sorry, is it really that hard to add another oscillator in a matching lower frequency? -___-

Don't be adding an extra osc. Add the sine wave as a separate instrument so you can process the two individually... adding extra oscs is horribly messy in my experience.

campnorth that's cool. just keep practicing, not much else to it besides putting in work.

here's something i've finished up recently. sent it out to a few labels with no response. would self release it but i dont think i have the ill promo skills for it to reach enuff people. any tips on that?

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/22nyx4gr9wmzi1p/Science.mp3

Edited by eequalsmcbrill

^ that's the hardest part usually, hearing something in your head then trying to figure out how to recreate it in your DAW.

and equals that track has nice vibes but i think the first synth kind of kills it, sounds like it came from Oddity or some other lo-fi synth, i think something more lush and full would sound better but it's your track, nice work!