Music Producers / Studio Thread

naturaljax

^^ Ya

Not a Gaga fan at all but I'm really diggin that remix ROYALEFATALE

This isn't a new track but I just made a soundcloud. Any comments or critique welcome, dance/electrofunk kinda shit:

http://soundcloud.com/ryanreid/i-get-by

It's actually meant to have vocals and be a full song but for now it's just the track.

thanks man, I use Logic Pro, a midi keyboard, Fender Stratocaster, and Apogee Duet. I had a Juno 106 for a while but ended up selling it to a friend. Now I pretty much use Logic and some plug-ins. I really like those free Togu/TAL plugins like Elek7ro, U-No-62, and Bassline. A long time ago I went through various MPC's (2000xl, 4000), Ensoniq ASR-10's (2 of em), Roland MV-8000, Yamaha Motif ES, Motif rack, and other hardware but basically I'm so lazy I like to use as much software as possible. ha!

Well whatever you're using you're using well because that's a great little jam. I'm gonna start following you.

And...

orly?

Yes? It's not as limited as Live is when it comes to working with audio (advanced comping features, bussing, editing).

LiberationFrequency I listened to all your tracks. Some of the concepts are pretty good but you need to select better sounds, including drums, imo. Especially the first track that lead synth makes the entire track sound kinda cheesy. Its okay to use drum machine drums (sometimes) but they have to be good sounds to begin with. Adding some reverb and other effects to your drums might make them blend with the rest of the track better, specifically on Unstable Rain.

jake/ your link doesnt work

I uploaded 2 more tracks if anyone wants to take a listen. The first is a slow 80's New Romantic / New Wave genre inspired track. I was up super late one hot summer night listening to Bryan Ferry's Boys & Girls album and it inspired me to make something like this..

http://soundcloud.com/ryanreid/night-line

second one is another 80's electrofunk dance type of track:

http://soundcloud.com/ryanreid/ready-4-tonight

critique comments etc all welcome

LiberationFrequency I listened to all your tracks. Some of the concepts are pretty good but you need to select better sounds, including drums, imo. Especially the first track that lead synth makes the entire track sound kinda cheesy. Its okay to use drum machine drums (sometimes) but they have to be good sounds to begin with. Adding some reverb and other effects to your drums might make them blend with the rest of the track better, specifically on Unstable Rain.

jake/ your link doesnt work

Thanks for the criticism. Ill definitely experiment with some reverb.

Oh and listening now, jake. Pretty cool stuff but feels a little lacking in terms of the bottom end. With so much going on, you need a really strong and stable bottom. As for multiband shit... Learn how to compress really really well before even touching a multi. They are extremely powerful and can flat out ruin your track if used improperly. Especially if you're going to be sending it out to be mastered, keep the dynamics intact naturally and don't focus on the volume because that can be done way better by an expert. If you do slap one on the master, keep it gentle.

thanks for the insight haploid. I think you are definitely right the song is lacking bottom end, lowest bass is more of a low mid and is arpeggiated upward. The multiband i was using on this track was to apply certain effects (utility,light compression) to certain frequencies so nothing too dangerous.I hear the terms parallel compression, upward compression, and de-essing and they intrigue me but I think you are right that I shouldn't be messing with too much multiband atm.I liked your new track, the glitchy chords sound cool.

http://kiwi6.com/uploads/hotlink%3Fid%3Dr1jw4bcm4e&h=a664e

New one. Also very heavy. More of a "beat" I guess in that I'm trying to find someone to do some sort of grime-anthem over top idk.

all of the synths you used here are painful to my ears mayne:eek:

and on that oochie wallie one, I understand it's just a preview, but it's seriously lacking some sort of element to connect the vocal samples to the rest of the beat. additionally, the vocal sample from 0:33-1:01 is not working well with the beat you created at all. that rhythmic pattern for the voice makes the drums lose all of their groove-- they seem to be operating in different pockets.

• 2 weeks later...