Music Producers / Studio Thread

naturaljax

all self taught here, learning from people in the know was a big help, also forums dedicated to your sequencer are helpful, it also takes a bit of time to train your ears to mix properly, you'll know when you realize you can't just listen to music anymore without really LISTENING to it, hearing every seperate instrument within a mix/picking it apart with your ears, the one thing that cannot be stressed enough is EQing, it's absolutely essential and probably the number one reason why several instruments don't seem to mix together well for you

Youtube has thousands of videos of how-to's. yo FL sucks so move onto somethign else before you end up only able to find tutorials of "How to make hardstyle in FL!!!!"

It's a pretty competent DAW but the community of users is mostly made up of chubby german kids monitoring out of computer speakers exclusively.

I dunno wut

Make a basic drum pattern you're familiar with, bounce it down (record it to audio in your DAW) and then chop/re-arrange randomly. Listen to the result and you should understand how to recreate the pattern in the piano roll/step sequencer format.

Dunno if this is what you're asking but couldn't hurt.

live seems pretty ass-backwards to me as far as composing goes, probably because i never took the time to learn it, but are the track window and arrangement window always seperate? like you have to go back and forth between creating tracks/adding fx chains and the actual arrangement/piano roll esque window?

another question after seeing that, is there a set of tools in live for the arrangement window? i was messing with it last night but couldn't find them anywhere, such as logic's scissors tool, glue tool, velocity tool, etc, etc? how do you mess with audio regions, the mouse is simply an audio previewer for me

It's sort of hard to explain. You make edits by selecting and cutting, and from there you can consolidate clips etc. Volume automation can take place both in the automation window and the clip window for even more control.

Also, I'm not sure if marketing is taboo in this thread so mods feel free to call me out on this if I'm crossing any lines and I'll remove it but the studio I'm interning at has suggested I reach out to artists I know in case they're looking for affordable yet professional mixing/mastering. We can work through file-transfer/email to give you a product that you're satisfied with. If anyone's interested in having their tracks professionally mixed or mastered to a more "finished" product to send to blogs and labels, feel free to PM me and I'll fill you in on the details.

I'm relatively new to making beats and such but I'd like to get an MPC or some sort of beat making hardware. I want a decent one so that I won't have to upgrade when I start using it seriously. Any recommendations? Oh, I'm getting an apple laptop soon so preferably something compatible with macs, but any advice is welcome.

anything with midi/usb will work mac or pc, before you spend alot of dough on an MPC i would also look into samplers without any internal drive or memory, like the MPD, unless you're dead set on creating beats within the hardware unit itself, since you're getting a mac, you could run all of the samples through the EXS in logic or any number of other virtual samplers in ableton/pro tools

Any MIDI controller such as an MPD or PadKONTROL will suit you as you progress so I'd suggest checking those out as royale suggested.

Edit: Buy Battery by Native Instruments. Tons of great samples to get you started and lots of options to manipulate them once you get more in-depth. Importing whole banks is possible and efficient too if you decide to go that route.

Has it occurred to you that you can simply loop a smaller part of a larger loop or cut the bits you like and comp them together? Or are you talking one hits?

personally i wouldn't mess with loops if you're going to be using a sequencer, unless you don't mind not being able to fully control your sound, if you're looking for drum machine one hits i can hook you up with a site that has high quality samples of just about every machine ever made, if you want a bunch of loops definitely look into www.primeloops.com , they have alot of genre-related loop packs that you can play with, you can preview them on their website and get most of them via torrent/rapidshare

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLfYT6yXgEc&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLfYT6yXgEc&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

To all the DAW users on this threak, watch this and laugh. Who would have thought the computer would be come so big in music?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLfYT6yXgEc&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLfYT6yXgEc&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

To all the DAW users on this threak, watch this and laugh. Who would have thought the computer would be come so big in music?

crazy how far we've come, yet we're still using an archaic form of hardware communication.