Music Producers / Studio Thread

naturaljax

I've got a friend who plays drums (way more than I) and I was thinking about picking him up some cheap-o vintage electric stuff for fun and ran across these -

DSC02876.JPG

DSC02877.JPG

I have no idea how electronic drums like this work - I was looking at an older drum brain and it looks like each 'sample' has an input / output that's just the usual stereo jack so im guessing there's some sort of contact sent through the stereo to the brain that triggers the sample output which runs to the amp? Will newer drum brains work with these older drum heads?

• 1 month later...

For a very poppy track, it's good. But, the snare and drums are very "dry", which doesn't really blend with the piano very well. I suggest bussing all of the drums tracks into one channel and then creating a room reverb effect (1-6 second reverb decay, 100% wet) to go behind and add a little air to the track. Overall, it's a very nice pop track and mix.

Yes, add the reverb behind. That way, it acts as if you had each individual drum piece mic'ed and a room mic. Adds a whole new feeling of depth to the track. You'd be surprised at how much good a few room reverb channels can do to a track.

Sort of... That might be a bit overkill. Basically, what you want to do is solo the bus track and tweak the settings so it sounds as though you had a mic in the room and you were just listening. Do this carefully though, and keep enough "muddy" frequencies in there for it to sound natural. You certainly don't want your bass sounds reverbing, as it will muddy up your mix a lot, but low-mid is OK. Personally, I like for a drum track to feel "intimate", and therefore I put a short decay time around 1 second or smaller and set the "size" to a small-medium setting. This makes it feel like it was recorded in a small drum room, rather than a stadium like in the sample you showed me. Once you have all of this sounding the way you want, drop the volume of this channel down enough so that it mixes with the "dry" drum hits enough to sound sharp and punchy yet still natural. You could then bus these combined busses into one and compress for an even more "processed" feel, and with some careful EQing have a warm and full sounding drum track that matches the mood of the piano.

Now, of course, this is just a suggestion. Some tracks sound better with "dry" drums, while others tend to sound better if the drums are over-processed. Its simply a matter of letting the mood of the track come out.

Oh that's a lot better man, it has a much more poppy feel and the snare really cuts through the mix.

On a side note, check out my latest track that I'm working on. Sort of a club track, which I normally don't go for but I really like the way this is coming out.

HERE

Here's some stuff I've made in the past few months. If you're into Chromeo'ish electro-funk 80's funk/dance/pop vibe you might like it. The tracks are really meant to have vocals on them but I haven't recorded any yet. It's 31mb, 6 tracks. They're all only roughly mixed but should sound decent enough.

I played all guitars, synths, etc., etc.

http://www.deadlysounds.com/ryanjams.zip

i went back and widened/verbed the hats because they were too up-front, so i should keep the current sounds and add that reverb channel behind the current drums? if so i'll give it a go, thanks brah!

As a general rule you should always keep your reverbs on buses, set the mix to 100% and use the bus level to add reverb behind your original sounds. This allows you to a) share reverbs between tracks and not rape your CPU (Space Designer is terrible for this) B) gives you a better sense of how deep (forward/backward) tracks are placed in the mix than if you had individual plugins with individual mix settings on each tracks and c) allows you to add further EQ/processing to your reverb sound without affecting the original track.

^ looking forward to hear that once i'm out of the computer lab and have some headphones on me.

i changed my "project" name, and a new song can be heard on myspace (link below). feedback is appreciated!

i'm going to learn how to use a turntable, i think

super quick beat for ya'll 2 check (in managable mp3 size now, sry bout the .wavs before!)

feedback appreciated like whoa, I'm disappointed how dead this thread is

http://www.throwthisaway.org/2-26-10.mp3

the beat sounds dope, that panning sound is very clicky/poppy/dirty though, first thing i noticed, unless you were going for that low-fi sound, nice work either way!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What do you guys think I should get: iZotope Alloy Mixing Suite or save up for a UAD-2 Solo/Laptop? I've been using Live's stock processors and EQs and I'm not very satisfied.

I bought a bunch of shit off of Sweetwater today... Damn, that's some good customer service. Received an email from someone who will be my sales associate stating that I can ask any question about a piece of gear or shipping or anything. It wasn't an automated email, either.

Dunno, just a little piece of information that I thought was pretty good.

Sooooo... I made my first bit of music today.

Used Ableton and my new m-audio axiom 25.

It may suck, because i've listened to it so many times today it could just be familiar to me.

I took some old Julie London samples and warped/cut them up a considerable amount.

It's chilled out, I feel the bass in one section is quite heavy but that was in the sample so it was hard to get out.

Anyway, it has grown on me. Just wanted to see what you guys thought.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gztzyyyk2xd

For just beginning, I'd say fantastic job. Many beginners are unaware of the concept of clipping and therefore everything sounds horrendously distorted, but you've captured the laid-back groove really well and the mix is pretty good. I'd suggest maybe adding a bit of swing or "groove" to it though, it sounds a little stiff.