Music Producers / Studio Thread

naturaljax

uh.... everything that is non-melodic that someone irl would hit with a stick to make a noise. redo those parts.

the timing is off, and not in a cool "hey, my beatz aren't perfectly quantized" way. it just sounds bad and needs to be fixed.

Ha well I don't usually make dubstep so that's probably why it sounds shitty.

Here's a great tip for everyone:

For a fat sounding kick... Take your normal kick, roll it off at like 60hz or whatever sounds good, then underneath layer an 808 kick with a long tail that you low pass at 60hz. It bumps the track and fills in the sub bass region with a really fat sound that normal kick sounds don't have. You can hear an example in "Super Corn" on my soundcloud. After like the two minute mark I bring layered 808 in.

Pretty useful, but not if you have humongous dubstep/dnb/hiphop subbass which tends to occupy that region of the spectrum, in which case you're going to get a lot of frequency interference, overcompression and shit like that.

Great if you're doing Detroit techno or some shit with a higher frequency bass though, try slapping in a high passed, distorted 808 in there to give some top end presence too.

Here's a great tip for everyone:

For a fat sounding kick... Take your normal kick, roll it off at like 60hz or whatever sounds good, then underneath layer an 808 kick with a long tail that you low pass at 60hz. It bumps the track and fills in the sub bass region with a really fat sound that normal kick sounds don't have. You can hear an example in "Super Corn" on my soundcloud. After like the two minute mark I bring layered 808 in.

are you using Logic? ever play with SubBass under the Specialty section? there's presets for several different kicks, "Deep Club Kick" instantly gives it that BOOM. you can also change the EQ parameters as well as Dry/Wet for the perfect amount of OOPMH

are you using Logic? ever play with SubBass under the Specialty section? there's presets for several different kicks, "Deep Club Kick" instantly gives it that BOOM. you can also change the EQ parameters as well as Dry/Wet for the perfect amount of OOPMH

No I use Live, even though I sort of want to make the switch.

http://soundcloud.com/sift/1345-1

little song im working on.

i had a listen to it dude, i love to see activity in this thread, ive only just realised it myself.............did you put that together in a tracker?....sounds like it....thats some angular electronica if i ever heard some.....i appreciate all the work that goes into making stuff, and i recon that must have took a while, but music??? what would you call it?

i had a listen to it dude, i love to see activity in this thread, ive only just realised it myself.............did you put that together in a tracker?....sounds like it....thats some angular electronica if i ever heard some.....i appreciate all the work that goes into making stuff, and i recon that must have took a while, but music??? what would you call it?

Was put togethor in ableton. No instruments beyond sampler(along with percussion obviously).Basically just Alot of sample processing and tweaking. As for what I would call it, maybe drone? Sorta that drone crunchy bass. But I duno I havent really thought about it lol I just kinda made it. It isn't finished either, also the quality you are hearing right now is substantially compromised from converting to mp3.

http://soundcloud.com/sift/1345-1

little song im working on.

Like the concept... But I think the lead sound should be brighter and wider. The kick kind of sounds very bad no offense. In a track where the kick "drives" it... the kick must really sound big and full (IMO).

EDIT: don't try to pull that "it sounds bad because it's mp3... It's just bad mixing. mp3 reduces quality, but not THAT mcuh.

Was put togethor in ableton. No instruments beyond sampler(along with percussion obviously).Basically just Alot of sample processing and tweaking. As for what I would call it, maybe drone? Sorta that drone crunchy bass. But I duno I havent really thought about it lol I just kinda made it. It isn't finished either, also the quality you are hearing right now is substantially compromised from converting to mp3.

all good bro, i like it how its good to just chuck stuff together, now with cpu studios everybody can make 'music'.....when i started out i just used to make beats and weird soundscapes, then i got on to hip hop beats, electronica,....but now imho i think the best thing to do if your serious about making music is to get some knowledge about scales, chords, table of 5s etc etc. also getting all your tracks in key......even drum sounds can be tuned.....nowadays i love music in key, vocals, hooks and all that good stuff.....

edit,....i think it all sounds ok though, for experimental stuff, i wouldnt worry about trying to widen the lead etc etc.....get it in key.

Like the concept... But I think the lead sound should be brighter and wider. The kick kind of sounds very bad no offense. In a track where the kick "drives" it... the kick must really sound big and full (IMO).

EDIT: don't try to pull that "it sounds bad because it's mp3... It's just bad mixing. mp3 reduces quality, but not THAT mcuh.

I find for most of my songs,converting to mp3 hardly effects the song at all, with this certain sections really came out quite different but w.e this is my problem. And yes Im sure what you dislike in my song had nothing to do with the conversion.

I find for most of my songs,converting to mp3 hardly effects the song at all, with this certain sections really came out quite different but w.e this is my problem. And yes Im sure what you dislike in my song had nothing to do with the conversion.

"The conversation?" You posted a link to a track you made. It's not like you said, "what do you think about the mix" or "what could be improved" you just left all possible points of critique open so I figured I'd put my two cents in.

if you convert your soung to mp3 and you dont notice no difference in quality what does that tell you about the quality of the peice???....it could be that your listening on poor monitors and that way you wouldnt notice anyway.....i hate mp3s....i can tell them a mile away, cruncy overcompressed fuzzy, waffly bottom end no frequencys over 12k, hyped mids.....mp3s suck!!!!!

"The conversation?" You posted a link to a track you made. It's not like you said, "what do you think about the mix" or "what could be improved" you just left all possible points of critique open so I figured I'd put my two cents in.

true enough,I figured it was implied when posting in this thread lol. and i appreciate your two cents. Right now my kick is a really short decay click, a 300 ms punch with 30hz hp filter, and 1.90 decay low tone sound. though the issue may be in the layering,I think its probably in how ive compressed everything .Also even before you said anything I agree that the kick is not coming through as well as it should.

if you convert your soung to mp3 and you dont notice no difference in quality what does that tell you about the quality of the peice???....it could be that your listening on poor monitors and that way you wouldnt notice anyway.....i hate mp3s....i can tell them a mile away, cruncy overcompressed fuzzy, waffly bottom end no frequencys over 12k, hyped mids.....mp3s suck!!!!!

yea at this point im just using JVC stereo headphones lol, Im guna get some monitors for xmas.

true enough,I figured it was implied when posting in this thread lol. and i appreciate your two cents. Right now my kick is a really short decay click, a 300 ms punch with 30hz hp filter, and 1.90 decay low tone sound. though the issue may be in the layering,I think its probably in how ive compressed everything .Also even before you said anything I agree that the kick is not coming through as well as it should.

Do you have a compressor doing a lot of work on your master? This can make your kick sound dull.

Do you have a compressor doing a lot of work on your master? This can make your kick sound dull.

i dont totally agree with this quote....to get a real clean kik, everything needs to be sidechained to the kik,.....something which is the norm anyway,...i sidechain everything, well most things with the kik, that way you can keep lots of frequencys in the kik, and it wont take up too much room, also a low cut on the kik is a yes yes,.......well high pass filter on the master of about 20/30hz is always a good idea to get a clean kik and to get the track louder....

At this point I am really unsure, advice would be great lol. People have told me to look into something by KRK. Doesnt seem ridiculously expensive but again I don't really know what to look for.

krks would be a good choice for the money, they arnet the most 'flat' sounding speakers ive come across though, they are very good for the money, and can get the job done, with practice,..but i would go for one of the more 'higher' priced ones as they have a better frequency response.......personally i say you cannot beat a ns10. if it sounds good on ns10s it will sound good on everthing....they are bloody hard work though, and can fatigue the ears, you have to really brighten the top end with mastering too, also they have nooooo bass,..but why does every studio use them!!!!!....cos they the sh1t.;)

i dont totally agree with this quote....to get a real clean kik, everything needs to be sidechained to the kik,.....something which is the norm anyway,...i sidechain everything, well most things with the kik, that way you can keep lots of frequencys in the kik, and it wont take up too much room, also a low cut on the kik is a yes yes,.......well high pass filter on the master of about 20/30hz is always a good idea to get a clean kik and to get the track louder....

Was just playing around with a low cut on the kick and it was definitely helping.

krks would be a good choice for the money, they arnet the most 'flat' sounding speakers ive come across though, they are very good for the money, and can get the job done, with practice,..but i would go for one of the more 'higher' priced ones as they have a better frequency response.......personally i say you cannot beat a ns10. if it sounds good on ns10s it will sound good on everthing....they are bloody hard work though, and can fatigue the ears, you have to really brighten the top end with mastering too, also they have nooooo bass,..but why does every studio use them!!!!!....cos they the sh1t.;)

lol ok thanks a bunch, will definitely take this into consideration

lol ok thanks a bunch, will definitely take this into consideration

if moneys an issue, well, if i had to spend the money wisely i would get samson rubicon r5a's, they come in at about £235, and are worth every penny, ive used them countless times, if i had to buy new monitors and thats all i had, they would be my choice;).....they are active aswell, so no amp.

No I'm talking on the master track. Sidechaining is incredibly important, as is parallel compression etc but on the master, you don't want to squash the kick down to the rest of the volume of the track, you want the rest of the volume of the track to come up, while still retaining the punch of the kick. Mulitband compressors are very useful for this.

multibands are usfull for that yes........but they take years to master......in the wrong hands they are leathal,....sidechain the master with a kik, ala eric prydz, thats a good way to get round what you said

Anyone have any information on how to use a multiband compreser? I've heard so much about it but I can't seem to find any good videos or anything

Anyone have any information on how to use a multiband compreser? I've heard so much about it but I can't seem to find any good videos or anything

a multiband compressor is the same as a 'normal' compressor, only there are 4 of them in 1......if you are just starting out, or just getting into mastering, my advice would be to steer clear of them as you will only screw everything up..... of course multibands come with presets, which are all good and well, but if you have no idea of what they are actually doing, are you learning anything???.....waves and izotope multibands have real good 'starter' presets, and can get the job done, depending on what it is........as for where to learn how to use them, i would say check all the current mags, and make sure you have a subscription to them every month, mags can only teach you so much, but its a start......the best way to get good with multibands is to sit in on some mastering sessions with a engineer,......just making him the tea, and watching and learning........you can master them yourself, but its the long road.......if you was going to take this road i would suggest mastering a 1 band compressor, then moving on to multibands, turning them on the band at a time...........................a good mastering engineer never touche3s them though;).........they are oftern called quick fixes, ;) when the mix is screwed, just slap a multiband on.

edit. with subscriptions to all the mags, you get dvds with them, these are full of info and advice;)........im in the uk, but the mags i have subscriptions too are FUTURE MUSIC, COMPUTER MUSIC, SOUND ON SOUND, MUSIC TECH. im sure these mags are worldwide and i know they have websites:)

Monitors: Depending on the music 'flat' monitors aren't necessarily the be all and end all... if you're working with bass heavy music I'd go for something that favours the low end more (such as KRKs). In regard to monitors that don't break the bank I'm more than happy with my Fostex's.

Multibands: Wouldn't touch presets with a bargepole. Every mix has a different frequency profile and as a result a preset setting will react completely differently to different songs/mixes.

The most important thing when using a multiband is to know exactly what you want to do with it before you go slapping settings on left right and centre. Generally the main use of a multiband is to compress 'peaky' areas such as the bass without affecting the other parts of the spectrum. Fox example, if you stick your mix straight into a limiter any extreme peaks in your kick drum/bass will make the whole frequency spectrum pump, wheras a multiband allows you to compress these frequencies without affecting the treble/mid.

The other use is a kind of EQ-alternative that doesn't affect the overall sound of the mix in such a way... by compressing an area less than other areas you effectively make it louder, but not in a manner as crude as adding 5db of gain.

For the most part, just as many producers keep the bass and kick drum in separate areas of the frequency spectrum, I tend to dedicate two bands just to the lower and upper bass (0-80 and 80-150ish) with strong fast-response compression, followed by moderate compression on the low mid and negligible compression from 2-20khz.

Whilst this works for me it could well be completely bloody awful on another mix... like I said, don't touch multibands unless you know what you want to achieve. Getting the hang of reading frequency meters is an important part, as a) it allows you to identify 'problem' frequencies and B) it allows you to try and imitate the frequency profile of other songs.

Final note regading 'problem' frequencies... try to deal with them BEFORE mastering, either through EQing, compressing, side chaining or even just outright lowering the gain on the offending track.