Sushi in Tokyo

asifo

i was watching a japanese tv show once, and apparently, you could get some of the best tuna in japan (as well as numbers of other fish) if you go deep into chiba, btw. i'd love to try this for myself one of these days.

it's also pretty well known that seafood is generally better in colder weather, so sashimi in hokkaido is supposed to be the shitz. especially with uni.

but in tokyo, along with daiwa in tsukiji like others have mentioned here, you generally get better sushi in downtown (like kanda and ueno) as opposed to other areas. i guess that's where sushi in tokyo started.

I've had fish in hokkaido, while ridiculously cheap and good, I feel like their best catch gets sent to restaurants in Tokyo. Then again I was eating shitloads of uni not in season.

just pmed you some links

i had the Tsukiji sushi at like 6 in the morning. too drunk to even remember it though.

mmm...i remember my tsukiji experience. except i opted for the "traditional business man breakfast" recommended by my friend which consisted of:

1. steamed fish (unknown variety)

2. white rice

3. raw egg

4. nato

5. tea

let's just say it was an adventure.

mmm...i remember my tsukiji experience. except i opted for the "traditional business man breakfast" recommended by my friend which consisted of:

1. steamed fish (unknown variety)

2. white rice

3. raw egg

4. nato

5. tea

let's just say it was an adventure.

I miss those breakfasts

if you want to catch some of the auctions you'd want to be there anywhere from 5 to 7 in the morning. if you're just there to eat, like spoona said you want to be there before noon. and i also recommend checking out the area around the market -- especially scallops roasted on half-shelves. mm mm.

one way to do it is to party in ropongi all night, then take an early train to tsukiji.

• 2 weeks later...

I was always a Tskiji Honten afficionado as I have been going there for years (second right hand turn off of Center Gai when entering from Shibuya crossing) but I ate at this spot in Meguro yesterday and I was really really good.

First floor of the Meguro Atore building (across from the JR station) in the very back. Looks like they have long lines some times, but we got seated in about 15 minutes. Zuke Maguro was amazing. Highly recommended.

I was always a Tskiji Honten afficionado as I have been going there for years (second right hand turn off of Center Gai when entering from Shibuya crossing) but I ate at this spot in Meguro yesterday and I was really really good.

First floor of the Meguro Atore building (across from the JR station) in the very back. Looks like they have long lines some times, but we got seated in about 15 minutes. Zuke Maguro was amazing. Highly recommended.

same spot I posted the link for earlier on this page. good quality sushi for cheap prices.

one way to do it is to party in ropongi all night, then take an early train to tsukiji.

I did this during one of my first weeks in Tokyo... on a saturday night. Learned the hard way that it was closed on sundays. Ended up never going back.

For cheap kaiten zushi, I remember there was a decent place in sangen-jaya, at the very end of すずらん通り.

ill check that out

that's like a 3 min walk from my new place

it's my parent's place to be exact...

they live on tokyu oimachi-line. 12 minutes to shibuya if i take a tokkyu train.

they just bought a new place in meguro near atre. they figured that it would be up-and-coming and property value would stay the same or go up.

Guest jmatsu
it's my parent's place to be exact...

they live on tokyu oimachi-line. 12 minutes to shibuya if i take a tokkyu train.

they just bought a new place in meguro near atre. they figured that it would be up-and-coming and property value would stay the same or go up.

sufu sleepover tomarikai at herp's momma's. obasan killa!!!!

happy birthday mrip.

for the OP: Sushi Kan in Yoyogi-uehara is my fav. place...when i go i pretty much order to my heart's content and end up payin roughly 12,000 yen a head. Not too bad considering the quality is very fresh. i'd also recommend to stay away from Roku Roku at the Grand Hyatt. While it's not exactly bad, it was pretty bland especially for the price.

• 1 year later...
here are my 2 cents.

in roppongi, my favorite ramen are:

ippuu do (my all time favorite tonkotsu ramen -- just recently voted #1 in japan)

tenka ippi (might be a little too hearty, but i like it sometimes, especially after drinking)

there is a very small tan-tan men shop that is run by chinese immigrants (it's actually in nishi-azabu, next to roppongi). they have the best tan-tan men i have ever tasted. i can ask my wife what it is called if anyone wants to know.

if you want to eat for cheap, go to hanamaru udon. you can eat a great bowl of udon with toppings for a few dollars.

sushi:

i agree that early morning sushi at the tsukiji fish market is probably the best sushi in the world. if you want the best sushi place at tsukiji, go to Sushi Daiwa.

however, if you want cheap and good sushi, go to the kaiten sushi shops in Ueno. although ueno is not known for its sushi, my wife and i found a couple places that were awesome. one place had "hon-maguro"--"true maguro" which is tuna that has not been frozen. it's a very rare treat. it was the best tuna i ever had.

what can i expect to spend on sushi in tsukiji? obviously an ambiguous question but any ranges?

what kind of restaurants are these? just trying to visualize it before my trip.

Sushi-dai 6am is the best $40 hangover cure on the planet

w2hdmo.jpg

last time I was there, met an equally hung-over korean girl in line who I ended up visiting in Korea, was weird because she didn't speak english and i didn't speak korean, everyone was wondering why we were speaking Japanese

2dj2g3.jpg