MEGA-DEATH (RIP) THREAD

seksu!

this is from steve wozniak's wikipedia

"In addition to being popularly nicknamed "Woz", Wozniak is also sometimes referred to as the "Wonderful Wizard of Woz" and "iWoz" (a reference to the naming scheme for many Apple products). "WoZ" (short for "Wheels of Zeus") is also the name of a company Wozniak founded. He is sometimes known as the "Other Steve" of Apple Computer, the better known Steve being co-founder Steve Jobs. He watched his best friend/ co founder of apple die by his side. This DICK HEAD DID NOTHING!"

Steve Jobs took more away from the world of technology than he contributed. He ran a company based on patent trolling, idiot friendly products, locked applications and hype. Imagine if the entire internet had been controlled by someone like Jobs... it would be extremely limited in freedoms and every single website would probably cost money.

^ agree 100%. Never bought into the apple hype, stopped buying them in 1996.

I have two anecdotes that I use to describe my problems with apple:

1) I consider using a computer on the internet at least as dangerous (if not more so) than driving a car. When people want to drive a car, we give them literacy training, supervised periods of hands-on training, written tests, and a formal license which has to be periodically renewed. If someone were to say "I just want to buy a car and have it only have 3 buttons and drive around after only having read the user manual" we would say HELL NO!

2) I take care of over 200 machines at work, 120 PCs, 80 macs, approx. Plus about 20 servers. The macs have constituted by and away the largest security risk. Sure they "don't get viruses" instead MacOS's security holes allow the russian mob to compromise your machine and do things like run prostitution rings from your system without your knowledge. Or some estonian hacker uses it to send spam emails and act as a launchpad for DDoS attacks on paypal. Both of those things actually happened on macs on our network. Whereas windows gets viruses. Oh no.

He also pretty much changed phones forever. And the way we purchase music. And made aesthetics in technology important (something that should resonate with this board). And I take huge issue with people acting as though having user friendly computers is a bad thing. You shouldn't have to read a manual to use the internet - that's the beauty of it. It's what makes things like the Arab Spring possible. If you had to be incredibly well educated to access a computer none of these groups of people would be able to unite simply because they wouldn't even understand the means by which they were trying to connect. That's some elitist shit that the world can do without. This is why libraries and wikipedia exist - to fight this type of thinking.

^^^ exactly clopek.

I have friends that are android people, and thu love telling me about custom rams and stuff like that, and I don't give a fuck. I want something that looks good, works well, and I don't have to fight with it or change it.

Also I'm not a computer person at all. I think I finally figured out how to use a printer last year. I don't trust myself with computer tinkering. Therefore I am fine with a group of genius engineers locking down a system to prevent me from fucking it up.

He also pretty much changed phones forever. And the way we purchase music. And made aesthetics in technology important (something that should resonate with this board). And I take huge issue with people acting as though having user friendly computers is a bad thing. You shouldn't have to read a manual to use the internet - that's the beauty of it. It's what makes things like the Arab Spring possible. If you had to be incredibly well educated to access a computer none of these groups of people would be able to unite simply because they wouldn't even understand the means by which they were trying to connect. That's some elitist shit that the world can do without. This is why libraries and wikipedia exist - to fight this type of thinking.

how did he revolutionize either of those? he created an OS on a shitty phone with limited capabilities that required you to use his locked program to do anything with it.

then he took mp3's and packaged them in the same program so that he may sell it to people.

he revolutionized home computing in general. that's it.

^^ all of the points you made about the iPhone are exactly why I love it. It's smooth, it's polished, it was developed by someone way more intelligent than I am. It uses one cable that connects to one program. It's incredibly easy and convenient. If I want music on it. I plug it in, the program pops up, and it transfers my music. amazing.

I also see no limits with it. I use my iPhone as my main computer every day. I can download music on it, surf the web, email, talk everything. It does everything I need it to do. I don't understand what you mean by limits. Hell, I can even print with it.

^^^ exactly clopek.

I have friends that are android people, and thu love telling me about custom rams and stuff like that, and I don't give a fuck. I want something that looks good, works well, and I don't have to fight with it or change it.

Also I'm not a computer person at all. I think I finally figured out how to use a printer last year. I don't trust myself with computer tinkering. Therefore I am fine with a group of genius engineers locking down a system to prevent me from fucking it up.

this attitude is true for most people. if you really wanna nerd out on tech shit, then yeah apple isn't the best option. doesn't everyone know that?

this argument pops up all the time on internet forums with computer-savvy nerds that always seem to forgot about everyone else that buys computers/phones/tablets/etc.

From Stephen Fry

"The so-called “walled-garden” approach whereby Apple make the hardware, the software and control third party access to the APIs and architecture of each device may madden many but they are precisely what allows the devices to work so well, so cleanly, so fluently out of the box. They allow longer battery-life, less heat, more stable operating and dozens of other enormous advantages. If different companies are making the firmware, software, chips, screens, operating system, radios and cases the results will always be far less coherent and usable devices."

how did he revolutionize either of those? he created an OS on a shitty phone with limited capabilities that required you to use his locked program to do anything with it.

then he took mp3's and packaged them in the same program so that he may sell it to people.

he revolutionized home computing in general. that's it.

Why are you so mad? Because the world isn't open source?

I dunno where you anti mac tech nerds come from.

90% of the hardcore programmers I know use a Mac. I dunno why, I'm not a technerd. You tell me. They aren't smelly hipsters either. They are uber dorks