Oxford Shirts

superbeveridge

I mostly buy from moderntailor.com now.

Several reasons:

First of all, I have figured out exact measurements of the shirt to fit me perfectly.

Secondly, I have irregular proportions.

Thirdly, It's easier to order online than go walk the stores and find something I like.

Once you go MTM, you never go back. Assuming you have your sizes figured out.

trace.jpgother than that, really nice. for $20, or whatever it was, fabric feels really nice.

Good stuff for $20.

Edited by Darok

so i bought my first uniqlo oxford (this one, http://www.uniqlo.co...re/goods/069233) in JP large (~a US medium) and it fits well everywhere but by god, it's really long. i'm a little of 6' so hardly short - what's up? it's just a regular model, not long. are these things not meant to be worn untucked? i always wear my oxfords untucked.. n shit.

other than that, really nice. for $20, or whatever it was, fabric feels really nice.

really? i have been buying jp uniqlo oxfords for years and generally find them a little short if anything. i'm 6'1 and get an XL (i do have a couple of old L's but the arms are way too short).

so i bought my first uniqlo oxford (this one, http://www.uniqlo.co...re/goods/069233) in JP large (~a US medium) and it fits well everywhere but by god, it's really long. i'm a little of 6' so hardly short - what's up? it's just a regular model, not long. are these things not meant to be worn untucked? i always wear my oxfords untucked.. n shit.

other than that, really nice. for $20, or whatever it was, fabric feels really nice.

Yeah their Oxfords are made for tucking in. I'm 6'2 and get a L and it goes to the bottom of the crotch of my trousers.

I purchased the same ones recently in Japan. The material has improved from previous seasons, arms are still short and yea the length is just nuts. Great value for ~$20.

• 3 weeks later...

t0eAQlX.jpg

Going to head down to Ballard and check out the new Blackbird oxfords. From pictures they look nice but sizing is always my issue.

Dunno about you guys but uniqlo oxfords generally needs to be sized up. Even then, they are too short in the arms, but make good beaters.

don't know about you but going true to size fits me perfectly fine. maybe i have t-rex arms but the sleeve length is just right for me. don't see how you can still have sleeves that are too short even after sizing up

Edited by postman

Their arms are a bit short, but Id rather have good body fit and roll the cuff.

Is the quality on a $180 oxford worth it, do they really age well and stay soft?

I want to up my ocbd game but is one of those worth 6 uniqlo ones?

Now this is a fair question. I headed down to Ballard this evening to find out, and I have to say that while I admire Blackbird's commitment to trying to provide quality in store design this was not a winner for me.

Blackbird's own label seems to have begun in the Thom Browne/BoO trap of proportions and is slowly moving away from it towards the slim but not too slim proportions I would prefer. While I understand that the shrunken, cropped is quite popular with some it is not what I want if I am going to be spending a lot of money on a shirt. The fit through the chest and neck was great. The offset buttons idea interested me and it does create a different shape at the neck than traditional button spacing. It would look great as a casual look under a v-neck or crew sweater for example. Construction felt solid. The buttons were not going anywhere as often feels like the case with my American Apparel oxfords. I should try on a Uniqlo oxford while I am in SF this spring to compare and see if they would fit me.

However, the arms were short on me as so often is the case. While relaxed with my arms at my sides, the shirt hits a little bit short of where I would like it too. If I bend my arm, forget it. The shirt moves probably 2 inches up the arm due to it being nicely fitted through the arm. Collar was smaller than a traditional oxford, and it didn't look that great to me.

The "high density Japanese cotton" didn't manage to impress me at all. I am guessing that a good deal of the price of this shirt came from the materials unless the markup is insane, which would be too bad.

Is the quality on a $180 oxford worth it, do they really age well and stay soft?

I want to up my ocbd game but is one of those worth 6 uniqlo ones?

Hmm, tough one. I know it's a different brand, but I have several Gitman Vintage oxfords, and the quality is head and shoulders above. The cut and fit is better, and the quality of the fabric is excellent. I have no idea why, but Uniqlo shirts seem incredibly susceptible to deodorant stains after a couple of months. I have Gitman shirts that are 2 years old and still look brand new. I have bought and binned 3 blue Uniqlo oxfords in the last couple of years.

Hmm, tough one. I know it's a different brand, but I have several Gitman Vintage oxfords, and the quality is head and shoulders above. The cut and fit is better, and the quality of the fabric is excellent. I have no idea why, but Uniqlo shirts seem incredibly susceptible to deodorant stains after a couple of months. I have Gitman shirts that are 2 years old and still look brand new. I have bought and binned 3 blue Uniqlo oxfords in the last couple of years.

Have to disagree. Bought a Gitman based on the hype (pattern was pretty nice as well). But the cut was crap. Body was slim and nice, but the arm holes weren't cut high at all. The whole shirt pulls when I lift my arm. I imagine the style is suited for those with athletic bodies compared to thin ones. Fabric is alright though.

Have to disagree. Bought a Gitman based on the hype (pattern was pretty nice as well). But the cut was crap. Body was slim and nice, but the arm holes weren't cut high at all. The whole shirt pulls when I lift my arm. I imagine the style is suited for those with athletic bodies compared to thin ones. Fabric is alright though.

Yeah, the fit isn't perfect, but I still haven't found one that I prefer. For me, it's close enough.

Will be headed downtown in a few weeks to check out the American made Brooks Brothers extra slim fit oxford. Price point is quite reasonable at $80.00, so I'll see if the construction/fit is superior to the American Apparel oxford which is priced about the same ($72.00). I have high hopes right now, considering the craftsmanship on American Apparel oxfords is awful even if they do fit me well. Loose threads abound and I know better than to hope not to lose buttons off their shirts.

I think I will try a Gitman Vintage and a Brooks Brothers x-slim. You are right about the uniqlo's collecting stains, but at the price you can afford to bin them. Another problem is after a number of washes they become stiff and card-like.

imo i could never fit into a medium but a large was fucking huge on me. I picked up a large in the new slim fit and its wearable but still a little too big. TTS if the shirts actually fit i guess....

just copped blue, navy, off-white and olive all in JP medium.. i'm 6'0, 145lbs.. hopefully they're bang on. jp large in regular fit pretty much swims on me.

ps. copped for $10 each, uniqlo jp weekend sale. yep.

Edited by home