Oxford Shirts

superbeveridge

• 6 months later...

^^^ That shirt can be saved if you have the will. Otherwise, check out:

Gitman Brothers Vintage (probably the most popular shirting brand at the moment)

Wolf vs Goat (My personal fave for it's fit)

Our Legacy

Band of Outsiders

Steven Alan

Band of Outsiders

Wings and Horns

I think Temple of Jawns is still doing oxford cloth button-downs as well. Might want to hit them up.

I stupidly threw mine out. It literally had a fully glass of red wine dumped on the arm and chest, not sure if it was salvageable.

Gitman Brothers Vintage (probably the most popular shirting brand at the moment) - Gitman is really overpriced and runs too slim for me.

Wolf vs Goat (My personal fave for it's fit) - never heard of these guys - I'll have to check it out.

Our Legacy - Not a fan. I have an OL oxford and its too shirt, the collar blows and the cloth ain't that heavy.

Band of Outsiders - Ditto.

Steven Alan - Not a fan of their shirting at all.

Wings and Horns - I'll check this out.

Honestly, it sucks that Unqilo dumped it and changed up those oxfords. They were damn near perfect.

I've tried a lot of high-priced oxfords, and for a standard white OCBD, I still don't see a reason to look beyond Ralph Lauren, the custom fit with no logos. I wish the one I had came with a chest pocket, but that's my only gripe.

The only other white OCBD I'd consider for daily wear is Thom Browne, and it's only better because his whole line is based around an obsession with how something like a white oxford is supposed to look.

I like Our Legacy, but their shirting is odd. Band of Outsiders just looks silly anymore -- I'm a grown man who actually has to go to work in my clothes, not some hippie freeloader who can't be bothered to tuck in his shit. Plus, the cloth and buttons suck lately.

I like the idea of doing Brooks Brothers, but it's too frumpy in regular styles, and the extra slim-fit is such an odd shape. It's slim, but not in a traditionally flattering way.

j. crew can suck it

The collars suck and the fabric sucks.

Most other oxfords have really short collars which looks really childish to me. Combine that with a stupidly slim and short fit like BoO, and you have a women's blouse.

Thom Browne oxfords don't fit me well. The sides are taken way too in, which makes the thing look like a women's shirt unless you size up 1. (but then everything else gets thrown off)

Black Fleece oxfords are some of the best in my opinion. The oxford cloth is great, MOP buttons, mitered cuffs. Also, like all Brooks shirts, they have the best collars and collar roll. The fit on these is just slim enough so that it doesn't look like some super skinny eurotailored shit.

Mark McNairy oxfords are great for a "traditional" fit with long shirt tails for tucking in. The oxford cloth is wonderful and thick, which will get better with washing and wear. However, some of you super skinny dudes might not be able to pull off this "fuller cut".

The most important question is whether to wear a shirt tucked in or out

If you have a real job and need to wear decent shirts to work, I'd say Brooks Brothers Non-iron slim fit. Super slimfit sucks ass because they only come in "need-iron" and you can't keep steeziness after a long day of slaving at the office or whatever.

I usually wear M in BoO and 2 in TB. Brooks in 14.5 with 33/34 fits perfect. Fabric is great and get lots of compliments from both CWGs and KAGs.

Most of the casual oxfords (or shirts in general) that I wear tucked out are Japland specials (rag cie, arrows, and etc).

I haven't really seen any American company doing fits similar to that of BoO. I guess Gitman is close.

This sort of question is better answered by styleforum, I'd think.

I have a large neck to body ratio, so unless I heavily size down on the neck, BB SF shirts tend to looks like aprons on me (hence your tucking comment I guess). While I enjoy the steezyness of a non-iron BB shirt, the fabric is usually treated with some crazy chemicals that make me sweat like a dog during the summer. The regular oxford cloth is actually pretty bomb.

I've been a big fan of the BB ESF shirts, b/c they run shorter and you can get a perfect MTM feel too. Does anyone know how the Black Feece's compare to BB ESF??

I might have to bite the bullet one day and cop a Gitman but that price point is really prohibitive.

Alright, this is a neg rep worthy question... but...

What makes oxfords so sought after? I really don't know the difference between dress shirts, and was wondering what sets oxfords apart. Is it the material, cut, look of collar/cuffs? Appreciate the answers in advance.

Alright, this is a neg rep worthy question... but...

What makes oxfords so sought after? I really don't know the difference between dress shirts, and was wondering what sets oxfords apart. Is it the material, cut, look of collar/cuffs? Appreciate the answers in advance.

Oxford cloth is a type of woven fabric that (with a few exceptions) lends itself to casual yet smart shirting. I guess that people like oxfords because they fall into that business-casual grey area. They're comfortable, you don't have to wear a tie (which is where the button-down collar comes into play - although not all oxfords have button-down collars) and you can still look presentable. Personally, I wouldn't care so much about an oxfords if I didn't have to wear a collared shirt to work. I try to spend as little time and money as I can on finding a decent one that fits.

^Horrible explanation.

They're casual yet steez heavy. This lends them an ability to be worn with a variety of clothing that "dress shirts" dont... jeans, chinos, corduroy, bathing suits, boots, mocs, etc. When paired with these staples the synergy is heavy and effortless. They're also comfortable and easy to maintain, if they get a little wrinkled they look good, whereas a standard broadcloth shirt just looks peasant without being pressed.

The most important question is whether to wear a shirt tucked in or out

If you have a real job and need to wear decent shirts to work, I'd say Brooks Brothers Non-iron slim fit. Super slimfit sucks ass because they only come in "need-iron" and you can't keep steeziness after a long day of slaving at the office or whatever.

I usually wear M in BoO and 2 in TB. Brooks in 14.5 with 33/34 fits perfect. Fabric is great and get lots of compliments from both CWGs and KAGs.

Most of the casual oxfords (or shirts in general) that I wear tucked out are Japland specials (rag cie, arrows, and etc).

I haven't really seen any American company doing fits similar to that of BoO. I guess Gitman is close.

This sort of question is better answered by styleforum, I'd think.

I find the Gitman fits a little bigger than the BoO. The Gitman is my bd shirt of choice mostly because they fit me well. I highly reccommend them but you need to try them on every time you get a new one because sometimes the cut is off a little for some strange reason. My tradition light blue oxford fits relatively loose and super comfortable whereas the navy overdye one i just got is slimmer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for being lazy, but in a hurry to buy an oxford shirt

that is this color and slim. im kinda small with short arms.....i think.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1051&Product_Id=1500553&Parent_Id=297&default_color=Blue#

this is probably the best choice, but any cheaper alternatives

Sorry for being lazy, but in a hurry to buy an oxford shirt

that is this color and slim. im kinda small with short arms.....i think.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1051&Product_Id=1500553&Parent_Id=297&default_color=Blue#

this is probably the best choice, but any cheaper alternatives

Ummmmmmmmm

http://brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1052&Product_Id=1437023&Parent_Id=662&default_color=BLUE&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

^

haha no, i've never even seen the show tbh. i remember reading some posts about people buying kids size bb cause it's cheap, and on sale something like $15 a shirt. just wondering if anyone can vouch for the fit on the kid's size shit

capa

they fit pretty well, i bought a few on sale (heritage striped & garment dyed). the small fits nice throughout the chest, not real slim in the arms, only complaint is that they're too long (imo, but i'm short so....) and look sort of goofy untucked (on me)

pretty decent shirt overall, especially for the sale price, i'm satisfied