California Mexican Food Appreciation

LandoCal126

oh shit, i see a sufu manifestation of the north/south burrito conflict on the horizon...though tireless debate will continue to rage over superiority (orange county, sf, san diego, los angeles), i've got equal respect for different joints in different locations.

san diego needs to be represented

08022008_002_2.jpg

San+Diego+Wknd+059.jpg

and last but absolutely not least, my beloved sara's mexican food:

6146524.JPG

a literal food stand nuzzled snuggly between the beachcomber and capri pizza. their tortillas are works of a kind, gentle god-like force.

DSC02774JPG-1.jpg

the look on my face says it all.

southeast san diego heads know wassup..

SD%20Lolita%27s%20Taco%20Shop.jpg

hands down best mexican food in sd imo.

560221122_68af22b9f4.jpg?v=0

only good cause it's open 21 hours. prefer lolita's tho.

m194312686.jpg

best tacos! pricey but goooood.

l

huge portions!

no pic but el nuevo milenio (gotta love dem jail bars)

bunch more bomb ass joints in sd but these are the ones i frequent.

hey whats that place in sd i wanna say its called coaxxin or some random, it parking lot is shared with a gas station and the burritos come out on those meat plates sorta like the ones in the supermarket.

(sorry i know its a bad description but i was incredibly faded when we went to it was just a blur)

oh and also trajillos in sd, the place that used to be a house...so bomb! i love going to sd just to eat haha. im just glad in riverside i got a well represented santanas.

Boca Del Rio in La Puente serves some of the best burritos in the Greater LA area/SGV.

But why I love Boca Del Rio appears to be an area of conflict between personal tastes, so I guess I'll bring it up.

What are your views on cheese in burritos? Yes? No? And if yes, melted, or not?

Boca shaves/grates fresh cheese onto the burrito, is not melted, this providing a sharp flavor to the burrito. I find it incredible, but I've heard that NorCal people feel strongly about having the cheese melted? Or am I ill informed?

i believe it's cotixan.

cotixan has absurd burritos, in a good way of course. their surf and turf burrito (cant remember the name of it exactly) has to be about 3 lbs in total weight. gonna snap a photo next time i end up at the location in PB.

Boca Del Rio in La Puente serves some of the best burritos in the Greater LA area/SGV.

But why I love Boca Del Rio appears to be an area of conflict between personal tastes, so I guess I'll bring it up.

What are your views on cheese in burritos? Yes? No? And if yes, melted, or not?

Boca shaves/grates fresh cheese onto the burrito, is not melted, this providing a sharp flavor to the burrito. I find it incredible, but I've heard that NorCal people feel strongly about having the cheese melted? Or am I ill informed?

yet another debate ingrained within the burrito eating community. it all depends on your preference between the fully loaded sd/sf style 'rito or the more stripped down, ingredients-focused la version. equal respect goes to both in my world but i say if you're gonna use cheese it should probably be mexican-style queso blanco. when used/melted correctly that shit is the truth.

I haven't been to NorCal enough to comment on their burritos, but I'm dying to try one.

And thoughts on wet burritos? ...I just don't like a burrito I can't pick up with my hands. :o

As for coming up North... You must!!! As for "wet" burritos..... There is a time and a place for every burrito. From the finest of beef or pork products monsters at El Farolito, all the way down to a the nuclear microwaveable burrito bought at the gas station.

ndmhxc, out of Rep. I Grew up on Gordo's on Clement. Although it has somewhat of a different style then the more traditional places in SF. As for Can Cun, also a HUGE fan! Many people will say El Farolito is better than Can Cun. I can not argue but definitely choose Can Cun of Farolito a lot. Great Bay Stand Up!!!