California Mexican Food Appreciation

LandoCal126

La Taqueria is the best taco in SF afaik. It may be sacrilege, but I'm not a big fan of Farolito, QC is just not there.

Another Gordo's spin off just opened in NY:

Dos Toros

4th ave @ e 13th

East Bay:

I was going thru this thread trippin' that no one mentioned Sinaloa, thank you Wtapthatass! Everything here is good, and they have the best beans/rice ratio in a burrito bar none.

Otaez on Intl @ 39th. I ate here twice this week, and there is only one thing you should order imho. Caldo Tlalpeno. Chicken soup w/ chipotle, zucchini, carrots, mexican rice, cilantro, garbanzo beans and avocado served w/ tortillas. Perfect for weather like this (rainy/cold).

Another new place in Fruitvale Station, Taco Grill. Super cheesy signage, but they use niman ranch meat, and their taco is as close to a LaTaq taco as you can get in the east bay. Also bottomless chips/salsa. $2/ea for tacos. The carnitas is proper here. And it's next to this Mexican ice cream place that makes their own flavors... many of them crazy, like garlic, cheese, curdled milk (tastes like horchata), etc. They also do Mexican shaved ice, or Raspados, and one version, the Diablito comes w/ tamarind, hot sauce and lime juice. Highly recommended. Unlike the bakery it shares it's space with.

there are so many...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i used to live in so cal but now i live here

there is a pretty good place in east williamsburg. i don't know the name though--it's spanish. i am always the only asian in there. 4 dollar burritos

i heard there are also good places in harlem, but i don't go there really (no racist)

also, im sure there has to be some good ones in bushwick

How did it take me so long to find this thread?

Two major things I've noticed as the difference between North/South taquerias is:

1. I've never seen Orange Bang anywhere up North, but it is my drink of choice in LA.

2. 'California Burritos' (burritos with french fries in them) and carne asada fries are mostly an OC to SD thing. I still haven't seen too many places in LA that serve the two.

My two go-to spots near my house are La Taquiza and Chano's, but I'm sure there are better places out there.

There is also a tiny spot called Romero's on Western and 6th that serves one of the best shrimp taco plates I've ever had.

A really excellent taco truck in the Los Angeles area is the one on the corner of Slauson and Figueroa just off the 110 freeway exit. I lived 10 mins away for most of my life and I must say the tacos are top notch. They even hand make their tortillas.

I think this truck is called El Gavilan.

I can't believe I haven't found this thread. I also can't believe nobody from sd has mentioned JV's off of morena or Pokez on 10th and E st downtown. The Cali burrito and bandito burrito at jv's are pretty much my go to meal's because of how close it is to where I live but pokez is where its at for the best carne asada burrito in san diego. I usually don't like my burritos wet (unless its my own) but they make it right. The tacos are also out of this world and pretty much mini burritos in themselves.

Here's the carne asada burrito at Pokez to salivate over

4437748496_cdef2ac81e.jpg

JL77, you an SC student? FWIW, the Chano's in Lincoln Heights is actually cheaper/better. I still think their asada taco is one of the best in the whole city. La Taquiza has some great shakes/drinks.

If you go down Washington a bit, at the intersection with Central is El Gavilan #2, in what used to be an original McDonalds. They just recently cut the arches down. I haven't been there in a bit, but really good pastor.

Considering Lando is posting about Mexican food in NYC..

Here's a Hot Dog Taco i had in Japan last year out of a taco truck:

IMG_1181.jpg

There are certain things in NYC which will suck no matter what any source says; cali mexican food and bbq. I hear there's some lady who sells home made shit out of a box outside the Mexican embassy that's supposed to be legit though.

Have you had the beef ribs at Blue Smoke?

Any NY'ers ever mess w/ Superior in W'burg? Shit's off the hook.

I have. That sandwich that comes in the bowl with the sauce is tasty. tacos are good but small. their aqua frescas are real nice.

I feel like mexican food in NY (bbq, as well) will never get a fair shake. i've had plenty of mexican in LA and Mexico respectively and there are places that get the flavors right in NYC. But because they're is inevitably something to complain about (portion size, cost, decor either being too contrived or not authentic, etc) people who "grew up" eating mexican food in places that have more mexicans than nyc will always say it sucks.

San Diego favorites:

JV's Taco Shop (my favorite)

El Indio (good tortillas)

El Camino. Both Little Italy and South Park (novelty)

Pokez (downtown!)

Santanas (chain. but good)

Las Cuatro Milpas (barrio logans finest)

Bull Taco (Hard to find. Great Lobster Burritos. Best SD "Experience". Beach View)

El Zarape (great seafood mex)

Ranchos (North Park)

Have you had the beef ribs at Blue Smoke?

is that place any good? i have really mixed feelings about all danny meyer restaurants - most relating to it not being worth the hassle (mostly) and expense (slightly)

I feel like mexican food in NY (bbq, as well) will never get a fair shake. i've had plenty of mexican in LA and Mexico respectively and there are places that get the flavors right in NYC. But because they're is inevitably something to complain about (portion size, cost, decor either being too contrived or not authentic, etc) people who "grew up" eating mexican food in places that have more mexicans than nyc will always say it sucks.

people are really dumb that way - esp with food that is traditionally heavily dependent on region/locality. you could probably say that about most food in nyc but yet it's one of the top ten greatest eating cities in the world.

that said i was once taken to a mexican restaurant in warsaw that was beyond awful.