Evisu is still loved!

benzak

still loved by me, i'm wearing a pair right now as i type this. i've just scored a "vintage" pair of the early european edition for less than $100. somehow, i just don't have the patience to break in a brand new pair anymore, and the new cuts/designs are turning me off in a big way. maybe if i'm really lucky, i'll find a pair of deadstock 90's japanese evisu on the hk or jp auction sites.

proud owner of 2 vintage evisu jeans. icon_smile_big.gif

I have a deadstock '93 pair with green/yellow selvage and hand painted arcuates.

The problem is picking up the vintage versions in europe, they are centralized in Japan all of them.

I still like Evisu, it is in a transition period where its moving from underground brand to a more regular Diesel brand with heftier price tags.

Denim Fanatismé.

The Arc - Hitting the selvage from August 1st 2005.

frogeyes: "dontcare, who cares."

xx01.gif

evisu now sucks balls, and unfortunately i got into denim right as evisu began to plummet. i haven't ben able to find any of their deadstock or vintage jeans, but if i did i would definitely consider a pair, however i wouldn't buy any of their new stuff. it's not so much the brand itself that has gone bad (even though it has to a degree with all these rappers and stuff wearing it) but moreso that their new styles are gaudy and unrefined with quality on the decline.

Edited by kiz on May 18, 2005 at 07:23 AM

i like the old evisu, although i don't own one unfortunatly:(, but i think the new one is totally not worth the ridicilous price they ask for it! the quality is not really good, and most of the new evisu style is not even selvage, and if it is it cost around 250 euro, so then it's much better to buy nudie veggie indigo for about the same price and 50000 times better quality or nudie dry selvage and edwin selvage, who both are around 150 euro and made of really good material so

icon_smile_cool.gif RJ-cocaina de pablo Escobar

i have a old id magazine issue from 1992, with an interview from yamane talking about his concept of starting a bespoke custom denim line for people that are sick of levi's. 10 years later, look what he's accomplished. people are quick to jump and say that it's this hipster thing to wear evisu, when they don't have any clue about how long it's taken him to get this brand to the place it's at now. he's a visionary for sure, and in ten years i'll still be wearing evisu.

Edited by sepia007 on May 18, 2005 at 09:29 AM

Yeah, actually, I have been to the Daikanyama store. Lots to choose from, and there is definitely some nice stuff there - but the price tag on some of those pieces is just ridiculous. I'm not familiar with the Evisu denim of the 90's as I just found out about them a little while back, but I'm guessing that the denim didn't have these huge painted on gull wings spanning from the back of the pant legs crossing over the back pockets... To me, that isn't about denim, that's more of a "look at me" detail that isn't worth having at all and is just distasteful.

When I'm back in Japan, I'm going to be buying up Edwins... readily available, have got some nice cuts that work for me - and they're not as expensive as Evisu denim.

i have 3 pairs of evisu jeans... but i have to admit, the newer stuff is shit. seriously. whats going on with all of these over the top designs?

keep it simple.

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

on a side note - what do the different LOT #'s on evisu's indicate? when the jeans were produced? i.e. LOT 0001 was the first batch ever made, then comes LOT 0002, and so forth...

or is it the style number? LOT 0001 - classic straight leg, 5 pocket, etc.

just checked - the pair i'm wearing now is lot 0331.

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

I think the first versions vere the 2504XX Versions, I haven't seen any older tags than that, but earlier they used a cloth patch which image is now featured on the EvisuParis patches.

It is different styles, really. Like 1930, 2001, 2002, 2004, its all in the cut.

Denim Fanatismé.

The Arc - Hitting the selvage from August 1st 2005.

frogeyes: "dontcare, who cares."

xx01.gif

it's nice to read that people are thinking the same as me about evisu. i'm the lucky owner of 3 pairs of late '90s european evisu and 3 pairs made in japan icon_smile.gif but when you see all the new stuff and, not to forget, the fakes, its sometimes not fun anymore. one time, a guy wearing the fake version of the jeans i was wearing came to me and said: 'hey, thats funny, we're wearing the same jeans'....

here it is...

2001 - evisu basic cut, button fly, hidden rivet, gull back pocket

2002 - same as 2001, but with zipper fly

2000 - a little more straight silhouette compared to 2001

2000Z - 2000 cut with zipper fly

2004 - buckleback, slightly looser than 2001

2005 - slim straight, even slimmer than 2000, zipper fly

2017 - boot-cut, zipper fly

2101 - lee styled back pocket, but with white paint mark. left hand twill (!)

yamane deluxe - wrangler styled back pocket, very slubby denim with lots of neps.

the paris line

epc1459 - the reversible one

epc1468 - snake and gull back pockets

es04ew - low rise, white gull back pocket, buckle

epc1535 - 3 or 4 kinds of denim materials in one pair of jeans

epc1458 - the so-called spiral cut

epc1544 - the classic pants

epc1461 - large daikoku (daicock?) paint at the back, side pockets on both knees

epc1460 - patched daikoku at the back

epc1457 - the 21 pockets (yucks)

epc1447 - plain back pockets, slight flared bootcut

epc1463 - crane and gull back pockets

hope that helps

Quote:

I have a pair of 2001's made by Yamane with no gulls(ever) on the pockets. I got them a few years ago in a liquidation sale.

Very understated, any one know more?

--- Original message by Lazylinepainter on May 20, 2005 05:31 PM

my uncle, who went to one of the evisu stores in osaka, told me you can buy evisu jeans without gulls there and they can put gulls on the jeans in the colors you want, or only a gull on one pocket, or even nothing on it. i guess this is one of those pairs.

Quote:

if you've ever been to the store in daikanayama, you'd see evisu in a whole different way. amazing stuff.

--- Original message by sepia007 on May 18, 2005 09:30 AM

Yeah an EvisYa Taylor in Daikanyama/Ebisu is what the brand is really about. Its a whole vintage deal with inspiration from the 1950s, lots of references to fishing (!) and definately not just jeans.

Not my thing and when I see the seagulls on someones pants I feel sick. but I think people have deft missed the point on this brand and Yamane's vision.

2000AD Hectic Homeboys Lace Themselfs on a Daily Basis

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

Yeah, in the Daikanyama store the staff help you select the jeans before the gulls are painted (cut 2000/2001...etc; denim grade No.0, No.1...etc, and size), and then you get to select if you want the gulls, and what colours - you can have just one pocket or even different colours on each pocket. Getting the gulls painted takes 2-3 days.

The price is mostly dictated by the grade of denim - No.0 being most expensive.

_trinket

ive got three pairs all quite recent... i have to say i have the stonewash 0001s (diacock) wiv the gull goin up each leg..i like the colour the gul is a bit 2 much...i got the standard 0002s that didnt handle a 30 degree wash 2 well?? then i got some of the hemp 0001s wiv a kinda back 2 front detail with the front pocket slanting with the gulls on aswell the the standard back( happy pocket theyre called) theyr all really nice... recently got some edwin ED-47's theyre real nice quality denim!!! better quality than evisu id say..im lookin to get some of the levis from the vintage range wiv the white selvadge and the brace buttons on the top but for the same money i cud get a nu fone so i dno???

i do agree the nu-er evisu r poo especially the ev-eu they r woeful!!!!! so selvadge on the 1s i lookd at the other day its a joke!!!! an i was in a club last night the amount of evisu gettin flashed around was shocking...it was everywhere an alot of it was fake!! one guy had the full set evisu kicks , evisu jeans an evisu top...did look 2 much !!

ice cold vintage