Evisu is still loved!

benzak

A bit OT, but I noticed today that Evisu do a new kid's line. It's truly pitiful - only for people who want to buy a label when the clothes themselves look like crap, and the prices are beyond ridiculous. It marks a new low. Even H&M stuff is designed with more imagination.

OTOH, has anyone seen you can get Belstaff jackets for four-year-olds?

i agree w/ Paul. some of the evisu stuff i've seen at the high end boutiques in boston are crap. they don't hold a candle to the old stuff. shit, even on a silver platter, is still shit. i don't doubt there are still good evisu to be found, but it seems the pickings are slim around here (boston).

"God is Dead" - Neitzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Neitzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

in my opininion all the italian licensed evisu fashion line stuff is crap. the italians pay money for having the right to use the evisu brandname / trademark. what they do is poducing a normal jeans (could also be a diesel, not even -cause those one ebay mentioned above dont even have diesel quality- i unfortunately own one and i can say its crap, the ''leather'' patch is made of some kind of synthetic shit, no selvage,etc.) and painting some gulls on the pockets..come on..all the attributes that make old evisu special is left out here. why are people buying that stuff then? i dont understand.

i liked all the old evisu stuff and still love it, also the shirts and t-shirts and shoes. colorful prints, lovely details, nice stitchings, cool patterns,etc.

but nowadays...its different

and also here in germany, the stores dont sell the classic evisu heritage line any more, cause people dont buy it, due to lack of understanding and recognition. the just sell italian licensed shit, whose pricing is ridiculous compared to the value of the product. i guess they gotta pay a lot of license fees per piece, thats why its still so expensive, even product is literally crap.

Their tees are in fact quite good quality.

It is all about markets. Evisu has interest in bringing on a piece of non-selvage, Diesel-italian-style jean on the market. Evisu Eu costs roughly the same as Diesel.

This all, again, comes down to understanding. Evisu wants to be a fashion brand, a high-end Diesel so to speak, but with other focal points.

This is not hard to understand, but should be the borderstone of any argument led against Evisu these days. Evisu is not anymore your local underground street brand with hardcore selvage jeans. Evisu is a worldwide, multi-million revenue company that wants to create and make fashion, not only jeans anymore. This is how it is. People need to stop whining and accept the facts that things change. Get over it. :)

Denim Fanatismé. The Arc, 2005. Lee151Z Clear Pocket - Wish'a'knew.

yes indeed, thats true. but the sad part about it, is that they just sell their name. by selling their licenses, they give away control on design , materials, the complete product itself.

they dont own these EU ED produts. intellectual property is sold to some italian manufacturers. thats the way Gucci and YSL almost went bancrupt during the 80s and early 90s. cause they gave away thousands of licenses to any company walking by, just in order to cash in license fees. through that you''re weakening your brand image, cause licensees dont accomplish product quality like yourself. thus customers are not satisfied and your whole business will be in danger.

Fuck. I wrote 20 lines on Gucci and YSL history and it suddenly reloaded.

Oh, well, you are not entirely right.

It'll have to adapt. I'd say, (the fat man made a funny), give it time. :)

I heard recently that the introduction of the Italian jeans coincided with a huge range of counterfeit in London, which is doing them huge damage, and no-one's cracking down on it. Will be interesting to see what effect it has, but I know their rivals are writing them off.

The comparison with Diesel isn't that valid - Diesel generally have a great retail environment, which helps them control their brand. Evisu hasn't, which is one of the reasons counterfeiting is becoming a problem. If they want to become a big brand, as opposed to a cool, cult one, they need to invest some money in controlling it.

I went to the sample sale of moshi moshi (the distributors of Evisu in Europe execpt for Italy and the founders and owners of Blue Blood) and I've never seen so many Evisu crap in one room! They even had a sort of leather-like/synthetic black pair of 'jeans', it was rediculous! It's sad to see what has happened to Evisu, but apparently it sells so I completely understand moshi moshi that they are still selling the brand.

Luckily they also had some other brands and I got myself a nice pair of dry selvage Blue Blood jeans cheap icon_smile.gif.

I also bought a limited edition pair of Evisu jeans which still has a lot of 'vintage' features, but I'm selling this pair. Unfortunately I don't have any pics at this moment but I'll try to describe the jeans: on one of the backpockets are a large japanese goddess (about 35 cm) and the word 'benzaiten' painted and on the other pocket is a handpainted gull. It has a very nice selvage seam (redline but the outside parts next to the redline are blue instead of white, so they are actually white/redline/blue). There are two japanese symbols printed on the leather tag. The lot nr is 0001 and the cut is simular to the japanese models (baggy/straight fit). The size is 38..

If you are interesseted please leave me a private message. I'll try to make pics asap.

Benzak, you danish as well or did you actually attend a sample sale in another country ? :-)

We can indeed agree, the Evisu italian jeans are horrible. They try to be fashion, and whilst that goes against everything Evis stood for, things must go that way. It is indeed hard to maintain a low-key production with such demands.

It is indeed sad. Good thing we all can hunt down the real treasures. :-)

no I'm Dutch actually... just as the Moshi Moshi people...icon_smile_wink.gif

treasure hunting... now that's an interessesting point of view, I never looked at it that way. but you're absolutely right, getting your hands on an old pair gives you the feeling finding a treasure!

Quote:

I went to the sample sale of moshi moshi (the distributors of Evisu in Europe execpt for Italy and the founders and owners of Blue Blood) and I've never seen so many Evisu crap in one room! They even had a sort of leather-like/synthetic black pair of 'jeans', it was rediculous! It's sad to see what has happened to Evisu, but apparently it sells so I completely understand moshi moshi that they are still selling the brand.

Luckily they also had some other brands and I got myself a nice pair of dry selvage Blue Blood jeans cheap icon_smile.gif.

I also bought a limited edition pair of Evisu jeans which still has a lot of 'vintage' features, but I'm selling this pair. Unfortunately I don't have any pics at this moment but I'll try to describe the jeans: on one of the backpockets are a large japanese goddess (about 35 cm) and the word 'benzaiten' painted and on the other pocket is a handpainted gull. It has a very nice selvage seam (redline but the outside parts next to the redline are blue instead of white, so they are actually white/redline/blue). There are two japanese symbols printed on the leather tag. The lot nr is 0001 and the cut is simular to the japanese models (baggy/straight fit). The size is 38..

If you are interesseted please leave me a private message. I'll try to make pics asap.

--- Original message by benzak on May 27, 2005 03:25 PM

found some pics of the jeans for sale on the web: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/d-stock/540682/611215/

Levi's employ a freelance denim expert in the UK who every few months will go around looking for counterfeits, or for other companies infringing Leiv's trademarks such as the red tab (or indeed any tab in the Levi's location)... as others have pointed out, they don't own trademark on the tab in Japan, which is why you'll see it on many Japanese brands (they don't own the arcuate in Spain, either).

It doesn't take a lot to get traders to drop fakes - usually a stiff letter to the retailer and distributor will do it; if it's market stalls they can involve local trading standards officers.

I don't think Levi's UK employ many people to do this;. could be just this one expert, and perhaps a couple of others. Looks to me like Evisu is not doing this, and counterfeiters are exploiting the confusion among retailers and customers...