Discuss Paypal + 4%

itsf3ng

lots of sellers asks when the buyer's paying with Paypal to add 4% for the paypal fees.

This seems a bit unfair to me, why must the buyer have to fork up the transfer fees if the seller is also using the paypal service to get secure payments?

At most, the buyer should only pay an extra 2%.

Both seller and buyer are using paypal, both should share the fees/risk.

In my opinion, it should be like ebay, Seller deals with all the fees.

what yall think?

i factor mine in my asking price. but all that goes down the drain when i accept discounted figures, which is pretty much everytime.

with gift payments, do buyers loose the ability to chargeback? theres got to be a disadvantage for one of the parties involved.

i factor mine in my asking price. but all that goes down the drain when i accept discounted figures, which is pretty much everytime.

with gift payments, do buyers loose the ability to chargeback? theres got to be a disadvantage for one of the parties involved.

I was reading about sending as "gift" and originally it was fees FREE but i think paypal caught on and now they give you the option to charge the fees to the buyer or you pay yourself. Anyone else knows more about this? I've never used "gift" option before...

I was reading about sending as "gift" and originally it was fees FREE but i think paypal caught on and now they give you the option to charge the fees to the buyer or you pay yourself. Anyone else knows more about this? I've never used "gift" option before...

i helped someone buy two bags, she paid me "gift" from the checking account she had on her paypal.

paypal didn't deduct any $$ when i received it.

Yes I think so, the buyer has no chance of getting his money back in case there is a "misundestanding".

However I still don't get that whole 4% thing. When I transfer money within Germany, it doesn't seem to be charged. When transferring to the US, it sometimes gets charged, however not all the time its seems. At least some sellers haven't complained when I just sent them the said value without adding 4%. Or maybe they already factored that into the price and didn't expect to receive the full amount.

However that whole gift trick also isn't working for me, as german paypal doesn't offer that category. Seems like only UK/US people can do this. It really sucks tbh. Apparently it's not enough ripping people off with their strange currency exchange rates, now they also have to do this crap.

i helped someone buy two bags, she paid me "gift" from the checking account she had on her paypal.

paypal didn't deduct any $$ when i received it.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_display-fees-outside

Here are the fees listed for 'gifting' money.. however, when I sent the money to an e-mail address using my credit card, no money was deducted from the total..

^ i spose, there may be some truth in that, but if your sending money to somebody you should at least trust them 75%.....with forums like this if there are any scowndrells they get found out pretty quick....also ive never had any problems sending money this way, and ive been doing it for years......

I thought the problem with sending payments over as gifts was that the buyer has no way of getting their money back if there is a problem with the seller since they sent the money over as a 'gift'.

isn't it the other way around?

sellers are always the #1 victims

i.e. no way to prevent charge-backs

• 3 weeks later...

Adding paypal fees is in bad taste. It seems like the streetwear demographic do it more often than others. I sell on the market and I understand its a cost of doing business and try to include it in the price of what I'm selling, same for shipping. I usually end getting the short end of the stick, but I do it for simplicities sake. Meh.

• 2 weeks later...

i was just gonna say you see it all the time on streetwear sites like HB and SS.Notice the listings that have +4%: mostly street wear items.

the only thing i can deduce from this is that HYPE adds 4% markup to any item

• 3 weeks later...

What annoys me more than people saying "price + paypal" is when people say price +paypal 3%, 4%, or even 5%. The fee is 2.9%. Don't try to get a little more from me by asking for a higher percentage paypal fee. When people ask me for more than 2.9%, I send 2.9% extra, which still irks me because as others have said, when you buy with a credit card from a real establishment, they eat the credit card fees...

Yeah no problem.

I give a shit about paypal fees, because they (paypal) is earning a lot of cash by currency conversion. They are using an internal currency converty that got terrible linkage between currencies.

I have to calculate around 10 less if Iam selling stuff for 100€ ($143 by fxconverter.com) +3.9%. (Think about notorical ebay sellers with endless listings)

It depends on strength of the currency. If the Dollar is weak they are earning a shitload. If the Dollar is strong, they will earn less.

In my opinion it's just the additional fees that aren't mentioned which are causing this unwritten "4%-rule"

• 1 month later...