Lofgren of Japan (Speedway)

RRLselvageDenim

What are the specs on the Nero Badalassi leather? It looks like it is dyed through from the pics.

I'd be interested to know what made John switch from the horween CXL to this.

Nero Badallasi was used because of the feel of the leather, it's got a very unique feel to the touch.  It's a fairly difficult leather to get because Japan buys so much of it, hence why you don't see it as often in the US or Europe.  It's full vegetable tanned and the tannery is located in the Tuscany area of Italy.  

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Final photos of the new short shift made of black Badalassi:

JL_MIDBOOT_01-1039x1562.jpg
JL_MIDBOOT_07-1022x682.jpg
JL_MIDBOOT_08-1022x682.jpg
JL_MIDBOOT_06-1022x682.jpg
JL_MIDBOOT_05-1022x682.jpg
JL_MIDBOOT_04-1022x682.jpg
JL_MIDBOOT_03-1022x682.jpg
JL_MIDBOOT_02-1022x682.jpg

• 4 months later...

My Lofgren cognac Badalassi engineers after 6 weeks of wear, i can't believe how quickly these evolved.  Also the most comfortable boot i've worn in years.

IMG_0335.jpg

• 2 months later...

Haven't posted here In ages but got an email from standard and strange about them getting in some of the Lofgren sneaker and was kind of curious for those who've had experience with them if they're similar to a vintage converse or the newer PF made in USA jobbies ?

Sizing is the same as the last run, you can find sizing info here on our product pages from the first run:

http://www.selfedge.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=lofgren%20champion

We're also getting these at all stores this week!

Haven't posted here In ages but got an email from standard and strange about them getting in some of the Lofgren sneaker and was kind of curious for those who've had experience with them if they're similar to a vintage converse or the newer PF made in USA jobbies ?

We're finding the sizing of the Lofgren sneakers to fit like this:

Size down 1/2 size from Nike, Adidas, New Balance sneakers

Choose your boot size - Red Wing Iron Rangers, John Lofgren boots

Size up 1/2 size from Converse Chuck Taylors, Alden Barrie/Trubalance last size

Edited by StrangeNeil

Thanks for the sizing help gents !

They look great. What can you speak to as far as construction and general feel.. FEEL of the shoe ? What would you say to a guy who can't come out and hold them in his hands ? Construction , etc -- I appreciate it

Edited by robbie

Thanks for the sizing help gents !

They look great. What can you speak to as far as construction and general feel.. FEEL of the shoe ? What would you say to a guy who can't come out and hold them in his hands ? Construction , etc -- I appreciate it

They are exceptional compared to your traditional run of the mill sneakers. Converse low tops look cool but they've use flimsy materials, "just good enough to not piss you off" construction quality, and most importantly - they're awful at doing their job of supporting your feet and body. 

First thing you'll notice about the Lofgren sneakers is how heavy they are due to the substantial amount of extra rubber used in their construction. They're reinforced at major stress points, every single component used their manufacture has been upgraded. Lofgren is using sugar cane denim in these sneakers....that says a lot about them.

Your traditional vulcanized sneaker is like a pair of jeans from H&M - intended to be cheap, shitty and disposable....whereas the Lofgren sneakers are like any number of the denim brands on here that are making something special and built to last. 

Edited by StrangeNeil

^Agree with all of the above—the Lofgren sneakers are excellent. I've worn mine regularly (save for snow days) for close to a year now, and would expect them to easily last another one. The sole is so damn comfortable, the canvas is tough but flexible, and the sole stayed grippy for months longer than any other sneakers I've owned. The styling is excellent, particularly the shape of the toe box—an excellent modern silhouette. They've gone through the washing machine twice and have come out looking better for it.

One thing about the sizing—I'm spot on size 9 US, wear 9 in nike dunks and jordans (though it's been a while since I wore either, haha) and had to go down a full size for these. I ordered an 8.5 at first and they were way too big. Self Edge is great with returns, in any case! Looking forward to seeing what you think if you grab a pair.

edit: just realized you were talking about the Champions—I own the Dessau high tops. I stand by all my statements about quality, but am not sure if the sizing is consistent between the two models, so maybe don't take my advice on that.

Edited by chicote

edit: just realized you were talking about the Champions—I own the Dessau high tops. I stand by all my statements about quality, but am not sure if the sizing is consistent between the two models, so maybe don't take my advice on that.

Yup, the sizing is the same on both, we find they run between half to full size bigger than most other sneaker brands.  

So you would take the same size as your Dessau sneakers as both runs of the Champion sneakers.

Anyone know how denim shoes hold up? Asking because I got some Epaulet leather sneakers and man are they durable but John Lofgren's champion shoes are looking mighty fine as well. Beaters to my beaters.

They hold up very well as long as you're not abusing them - kicking belt sanders, climbing cacti, playing tug of war with your great dane, etc....

• 11 months later...

Trade wanted!

I have a pair of Lofgren engineers in brown cxl in size 9.5 with the original box. I need a size 10!

If anyone has a 10 they want to trade for my 9.5s, let's talk. Message me and maybe we can work something out.

Brown would be ideal but open to other colors as well - I love these and want to trade for a pair that fit.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 9/5/2011 at 10:41 PM, rnrswitch said:

Some folks have asked for some closeups of the trousers. Here they are. I hate to say this, but the pics don't do these pants justice.

lofgren14ozdenimtrouser.jpg

Selvage waistband and size stamping.

039600x450.jpg

038600x450.jpg

The ubiquitous union label. I am not quite sure if the workers are unionized, but having spoken with John Lofgren, I would think that if he puts guartanteed exploitation free, he means it. At least I hope so. I think I will shoot him an email.

042600x450v.jpg

Front welted coin pocket

037600x450.jpg

Rear welted pocket.

041600x450.jpg

If anyone is interested in these chinos, I still have a pair in W32/34, that I only wore a few times.
lofgrenfitpics.jpg