australia :: general

TTT

Pretty much only read vogue homme Japan, 10, tune and men's non-no. Bought fantastic man for the raf interview but don't usually read it. Tune is my favorite, need to get subscription. Don't look at blogs - besides tech-spec tumblr if that counts and occasionally check Jun's page on honeyee.

^ +1. Opposite the Museum is quite nice, short walk to the CBD and the gardens around there are beautiful.

+2, been living around that area for years, definitely the best around the city. all convenience and art/scene etc, are all just walking distance.

adam, what about biannual - january mag? they are australian based, not really a shopping mag per se.

cover_jpg_643x450_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

crypsis_jpeg_643x450_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

Mens2_jpg_643x450_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

http://www.broadsheet.com.au/melbourne/arts-and-entertainment/article/january-mag-launches

they quality of the print is pretty good. content wise similar tone but a little more hyperopic some/things mag...(and not so gothic.).

first issue they covered ma ke's haute couture - wu yong, which is icon14.gif

make1.jpg

make.jpg

Yes, I had a look at January at TWR and the printing was certainly very nice. I have spoken with the team there, too. They seam to be on to something, and I think in a couple of issues it will be be great.

Tune looks like a fun read/browse too. I might go check out Kinokuniya and see what they have.

i also have some cp's i want to get rid of, and there's no point bothering with posting internationally.

they are achilles in black, sz 43. they have been WORN but the leather/gold stamping/laces/stitching are all intact. however, the leather is obviously creased and there is some heel wear and a small tear in the lining on one of the shoes (hardly an issue). i would say they are a 7-7.5/10 with lots of life left.

$175ppd (no box, sorry)? i'm trying to be as transparent as possible, and i will take pics on request. i am only wanting to sell them because they are too small (my feet grew) and i want to buy them again in a size up. i bought them from one arm scissor for $375 in dec last year.

• 2 weeks later...
Issue #5 in store now. $130. Haven't looked through it properly but it is presented nicely in a Rick Owens knitted cashmere sleeve infused with his new (unreleased) scent. And some Paul Harnden dvd.

thanks for the heads up. will have a look...!

there was actually a copy of some/things mag #5 and SZ mag at EM for the customers to check out.

dint get the chance to see some/things, saw the SZ mag, din't really look through the content but for a semi-annual mag.. the paper quality... reminds me of now defunct Asia Week, the cover were ripped apart when they received too... : \

So it looks like there are some killer mags out there with the Japanese probably taking top stakes. I have a couple of issues of Gap but there is nothing interested as far as articles go, its just recaps of the various fashion weeks.

Also, Parable is launching a newsletter, and as an incentive to sign up we are offering 15% off your next purchase if you sign up before November 10.

Subscribe now >>>

Online sales are ticking over, but the local market is pretty tame. I seriously thought there would be more people interested given the stats of both sufu and SZ's Sydney based reader-ship.

To be fair we haven't done any local PR yet, so we won't know fully until we've started that.

And yes, Sydney retail spaces are fucking expensive. You would think that the slump in retail would mean reduced prices but that's not true. Small businesses be damned.

im not sure what has been done, but i think government should take part on helping local retails. channel 7 or 10 even discussed couple months ago that many shopper turned to online shopping from overseas more instead of buying from local stores.

i bet you know this better ivan, but i assume that the logistic side like shipping etc is one the reason of price increased on products? on top of the non-sense property rent.

Shipping is definitely getting more expensive, as is rent. But I think some local retails are using the 'slump' or consumer willingness to shop online as an excuse to raise prices.

Another side which has been discussed in the media is that the in-store 'experience' is lacking in brick and mortar stores, and that is why people are heading online. Stores like Harrolds are bringing this aspect of shopping back, but the truth is shoppers are lazy fucks. And unless your store is in a Westfield or on the well trodden path they couldn't be fucked. This, I am sure, is why online sales are booming.

hmm true. i guess, if you think about it, many local brands have price tags almost the same with brands from overseas, thats quite possible why people buying from online as well.

and also, maybe even though places like pitt st mall or paddington always crowded every weekends, but i guess the percentage of people who window shopped are bigger than the they who actually bought stuff ..

you are definitely right about the shopping 'experience' - whilst i do buy alot of things online simply because it is cheaper (i.e. vans) or unattainable here (i.e. uniqlo, common projects), i also do my best to support domestic stores that i 'appreciate' what they are doing. an example of this is rhd in adelaide - whilst i can get the denim they stock cheaper online from the US (the momotaro's i have sell for $355 at rhd, from something like blue in green i think they are more like $300 inc shipping); but i am paying for the service i value, the experience of going into the store (which i enjoy) and everything those things entail. i also want to support a niche store like that thrive and see it succeed; especially in such a small city like adelaide. this is coming from a poor student, too. whilst i don't really wear the labels you stock ivans (although i definitely appreciate such a store existing, and would love some of those rings), i would imagine the people that are into that particular clothing aesthetic in sydney (especially considering there are a shitload more people) will also support you in time. maybe you just need time and to get your name out there a bit more - i imagine this is especially more important for brick and mortar 'boutiques' which are generally small/hidden away and not located not on main shopping streets.

edit: i should also mention that stores which originated due to the owner busting their ass and being forced to take risks (saving for years beforehand or having to take out loans) makes me want to support them even more .- unlike a few stores in australia that i know of which were bankrolled by mummy and daddy.

Yes, there will always be that clash between those that are busting their ass to make something work vs. those that can throw money at a problem until it goes away.

I like to think that perseverance will pay off, and that the labels we stock will appreciated that sort of mentality - especially given the stigma which revolves around those labels. The old adage "money talks" tends to hold true, however.

These sides of the fashion world are really interesting but smack of high-school cliqs. This can be said about most industries though.

It is a fun adventure, albeit a stressful one. And one we hope will succeed.