australia :: general

TTT

They stock Ksubi at Lane Crawford!!!? I went the other day here in Beijing to check out the RO stuff that was on sale, and stumbled across a Ksubi rack. Truly terrible stuff.

Also went to I.T and checked out the CGD stuff, and they had that gorgeous double lapel jacket in black and dark grey/brown check with tortoise shell buttons. Really nice (about $1200AUD after sale discount).

My girlfriend also tried on a Rick jacket that was $26,000AUD after 40% off... crazy.

Semi-random question, which type of or specific Aus label do you think is doing the best (or at least, doing well) right now? In the general "street" category, ie includes brands like claude maus, limedrop, st augustine, CON etc, along with the more "mass appeal" stuff like the ripcurl, travisty, industrie, jeanswest etc.

We know ksubi is half down but i think it's just due to poor management (according to various sources) as in 2009 they were still lauded to be worth 24 mill or so despite their current issues. They're still one of our most prominent streetwear export nonetheless.

I think Vanishing Elephant is doing really well considering how new they are, not sure if it's just that they seem to be stocked everywhere from local places like Incu, Fat, even General Pants to quality places around the world, including sufu-approved Black Bird, Oak NYC, Revolve, etc. No idea how they're really doing in sales though, but I assume it's good and looks like they will expand more. Imo, their stuff is pretty decent and well-priced, and 4 seasons a year to keep both hemispheres happy is a great move. They're not too original though, and is similar to a lot of labels suspiciously also stocking at Incu (APC, NDG, Our Legacy etc), although I think that aesthetic isn't exactly something that can be considered rip-offs as it's fairly "classic". Probably adds to their mass appeal if anything.

Here on sufu we're more savvy with what's actually quality stuff but does the mainstream population of screen printed semi-fluoro T-shirt , pre-distressed bootcut denim people still make up a significant enough portion of the buying demographic that shits all over the more respected local labels (that aren't too niche) in terms of sales and revenue?

Semi-random question, which type of or specific Aus label do you think is doing the best (or at least, doing well) right now? In the general "street" category, ie includes brands like claude maus, limedrop, st augustine, CON etc, along with the more "mass appeal" stuff like the ripcurl, travisty, industrie, jeanswest etc.

Here on sufu we're more savvy with what's actually quality stuff but does the mainstream population of screen printed semi-fluoro T-shirt , pre-distressed bootcut denim people still make up a significant enough portion of the buying demographic that shits all over the more respected local labels (that aren't too niche) in terms of sales and revenue?

I reckon the Australian label that's doing very well recent times in CON. But then again, what does 'doing well' really mean when it comes to fashion? To an extent, when a brand does so well it ends up getting stocked everywhere, like Ksubi in David Jones. Which of course then leads to its very demise because that's exactly what fashion enthusiasts hate most...a brand being too popular and too obtainable. There's a really fine line that labels tread on in this industry, which is why choosing retailers is so important. If this is not what you're talking about...excuse me as I have just been ranting.

Lol at last statement/question. You forgot the obsession with displaying belt buckles like medals.

We know ksubi is half down but i think it's just due to poor management (according to various sources) as in 2009 they were still lauded to be worth 24 mill or so despite their current issues. They're still one of our most prominent streetwear export nonetheless.

I think Vanishing Elephant is doing really well considering how new they are, not sure if it's just that they seem to be stocked everywhere from local places like Incu, Fat, even General Pants to quality places around the world, including sufu-approved Black Bird, Oak NYC, Revolve, etc. No idea how they're really doing in sales though, but I assume it's good and looks like they will expand more. Imo, their stuff is pretty decent and well-priced, and 4 seasons a year to keep both hemispheres happy is a great move. They're not too original though, and is similar to a lot of labels suspiciously also stocking at Incu (APC, NDG, Our Legacy etc), although I think that aesthetic isn't exactly something that can be considered rip-offs as it's fairly "classic". Probably adds to their mass appeal if anything.

how about bassike? fairly certain they are stocked outside of australia.

I reckon the Australian label that's doing very well recent times in CON. But then again, what does 'doing well' really mean when it comes to fashion? To an extent, when a brand does so well it ends up getting stocked everywhere, like Ksubi in David Jones. Which of course then leads to its very demise because that's exactly what fashion enthusiasts hate most...a brand being too popular and too obtainable. There's a really fine line that labels tread on in this industry, which is why choosing retailers is so important. If this is not what you're talking about...excuse me as I have just been ranting.

I have the impression CON isn't doing as well as say, when they first got popular. Both cos the pieces are getting more and more conceptual and as more people discover the roots of the aesthetic ripped off, they gravitate towards the more legit, original labels like RO and the like. Other than the basics, which has ended up as a diffusion line recently as they're the pieces that do well consistently (how well I dunno).

The David Jones thing is interesting too; after they updated the one in Melbourne one and included lots of local labels including Beat Poet I wonder if the exposure actually increased sales from the general public rather than turn away the people who are actually affected by that sort of thing. Like, when a label goes mainstream there are always people who are turned off, but does the exposure override that in terms of sales?

fen: Yeah I think they are stocked overseas. Just checked, suprisingly in Europe and Japan but not in the US. Don't think they have as much recognition as say, Rittenhouse though. Also, locally I think Skinny Nelson comes out with really similar stuff although their pitch is different.

The David Jones thing is interesting too; after they updated the one in Melbourne one and included lots of local labels including Beat Poet I wonder if the exposure actually increased sales from the general public rather than turn away the people who are actually affected by that sort of thing. Like, when a label goes mainstream there are always people who are turned off, but does the exposure override that in terms of sales?.

I think they would definitely earn more sales from going mainstream. It's just like underground music bands, you love them when they're underground and do their inspirational stuff. Once they go mainstream, sure they earn more money and more people support them...but a lot of the time their stuff changes to suit the GENERAL crowd. It gets more watered down, so you can satisfy more people, piss off less people. That's exactly the same with clothing.

I for one hate it when you support a certain brand for years, being one of the few people wearing its stuff...to later have it then stocked in David Jones. However, the less you want to see people wearing the same stuff as you...the higher the price you have to pay. Sad way that the economy and fashion are so mixed together. On the other hand, if you pay retail money for RO hi top trainers like I did and see brands like Virgin Blak make complete rip offs...that shit is infuriating (haha major sadface).

Bassike and Skinny Nelson have become popular, i agree, probably due to their affordability for what you get (essentially value for money). Personally their stuff isn't that outstanding though.

Ah yeah the Uniqlones probably do the best... don't think they fall under that general "streetwear" category though, cos it's like an all ages thing rather than the typical 15-35 demographic we usually refer to.

They should just get a fuckin Uniqlo/Muji/H&M/Topshop here already fuck.

yep, no kidding. all 13-20 yr old peasants, shirtless with flags draped over their shoulders. i couldn't have felt any less proud of my country today.

good massage though.

haha yeah australia day is the day that people like myself, australian born asians, prefer to hide at house parties lolol. the streets are DANGEROUS.

funny that the aussie day is the day of the year with the most racism. i thought we were multicultural? lolol.

on other news...i expect my mail from FT to come tomorrow. damn you public holiday :(