australia :: general

TTT

eat at garagistes.

This person is obviously very well acquainted with Hobart's gastronomic delights..

I can suggest to do one thing at MONA. Start your visit to the gallery at the bottom bar. Consume at least two types of spirits/cocktails, as this is essential to put you in the mood and add a nice twist to the visit, do this even if you don't drink much.

The bar has the best range of spirits in all of Tasmania without doubt, possibly the best selection I have seen anywhere.

PM if you want any specific questions answered.

It's difficult to recommend somewhere to stay if we know nothing of your budget or taste. Personally I would stay in a boutique hotel/house.. There's some nice ones in South Hobart which are about 15 minutes walk from the centre of town (downhill).. Depends on what tickles your fancy really.

Edited by jcotteri

^ pretty sure you can do that any night of the week so long as it's not full. It would be neat to do that as the bar surrounds the kitchen and you can watch the chefs work.

Nah the bar is the actual bar (not the bar around the kitchen)

Food was decent value but wine by the glass is pretty ridiculous

Hey thanks for all the suggestions,

Sorry my post was pretty vague!

Love to do outdoor activities so thanks Jackg for the suggestions I will google around some more.

In terms of accomodation I have never really stayed at a nice hotel to be honest. Usually when I have travelled I have stayed at pretty average (cheap) places and spent my money on other activities.

Would be good to stay at a nice boutique hotel for a change, Im going for my birthday too so dont want to slum it to hard haha

Thanks Jcott & jakie for your suggestions also I will look into them!

• 1 month later...

yo, i'm in adelaide. what is your budget/what do you like? adelaide is boring as fuck but has some of the best places to eat in australia (if you're vegan it has the best places in the country). some of my favourites in the cbd or very close to it:

sparrow.

wasai.

wah hing.

sato.

amalfi.

est.

melt.

mandoo.

thea (lunch only).

nano (cafe, but has some great lunch stuff).

Edited by conqueror

don't really have a budget, probably 30~50 for dinner excluding drinks - will be there for work so we're mostly looking for a chilled vibe...

colleague mentioned Curious Squire, FancyBurger, The Tivoli Hotel, any good?

I've read that Mandoo is good!

we'll be at the Intercontinental but willing to travel a little bit, or walk around hunting food trucks heh

hotel tiv is decent but a little overrated i think, still worth going to though i guess if your friend recommended it. fancyburger is good, but is in the southern suburbs and is about a 25min drive/45min bus from the cbd. i've never heard of curious squire, and although adelaide has tons of bars i can't really recommend any since i don't drink. adelaide doesn't have many food trucks (2 off the top of my head), and they really only exist in summer. i should also add 'the store' in north adelaide is v. good for lunch.

Edited by conqueror

solid cafe, the menu is pretty simple (read: sandwiches and salads) and doesn't try to be clever like some places in Sydney, I don't have a comparative in ADL since I only managed to eat out for lunch once at A Mother's Milk on the way to the airport, but the single origin roasters coffee they had there was pretty good, much better than the coffee I had at Public.

p.s. any idea how Public makes their muesli? it was pretty damn good (finished my colleague's bowl heh)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

can dudes recommend a decent, navy slim suit (that i can buy in adelaide, this is one thing i'm never gonna buy online) for $800 or less? i have read some mixed reviews about country road ones which are around $550. my max budget is $800 but ideally i'd like to spend no more than $650 if i can.

Edited by conqueror

Country Road? Avoid them like the plague.. And just curious why you want a slim fit? It is very subjective, but you'll regret it once you mature in your taste.

Herringbone - $600 - $900 on sale. Doesn't fit overly slim, but suits shouldn't

MJ Bale - 2 for $1,000

Rhodes & Beckett - has two cuts, one of which is a slim. $650 on sale

TM Lewin - Classic: $600-800 White Label: $800-1100

​P Johnson - will soon be releasing a more moderately priced MTM Service if you can wait a few months

And for the SF wiki page -

Probably not worth it

These are brands available in Australia which are by no means poor quality, but which sell for high prices at which there are potentially better options:

Zegna-great construction but comes at a premium. Z Zegna is the low level line and Zegna Couture is the extreme high level line. Available at boutiques and at David Jones.

Canali-hard shoulders, hard on your wallet, unless you shop at Azzaro where Canali suits can be found for $600-$800. Also available at Canali boutiques and David Jones.

Paul Smith-fully canvassed, interesting designs. Available at Paul Smith boutiques and at Claude Sebastian.

Hugo Boss-largely fused, overpriced and fragile with the exception of Boss selection, which is nice but very pricey.

Harrolds-The Harrolds store stocks some amazing items, but at exorbinant prices. It is the only stockist in Australia of Tom Ford, Brioni, Kiton, Pal Zileri and other high end brands.

Don't even think about it

These brands are overpriced, extremely poorly made and should be avoided by anyone who gives a damn about what they wear:

Politix, Tarocash, Oxford, YD

Edited by JayPee

when i say 'slim fit', i don't want some painted on hedi slimane joint but i don't want some garbage bag suit either (i have one of those already from years ago). saying that, i am a fan (to an extent) of the occasional fashiony suit such as some thom browne pieces. with the exception of rhodes and hugo boss, none of those labels listed are available in adelaide. as i mentioned, this is one thing that i will simply not order online without trying on first.

ps i'm 6'1/75kg for reference. if my tastes 'mature' with age, i will just buy a new suit to satisfy those new tastes.

Edited by conqueror

• 1 month later...

I'm planning to do a snowboarding trip to Australia on June- July. So far I've read about Mt Buller which is located not so far from Melbourne. This is my 1st time in Australia and my 1st snowboarding trip as well( I live in tropical country). Anyone here have any advice for me in terms of accommodation and transport? Also, how much cash should I prepare for a week stay in Mt Buller area?

As a reference an apple costs about $14 in Australia.

Lol, I'll make sure not to pick up an apple at the grocery store.

^ lol

but more accurately it's about $6 a kilo.

Bus to Mt Buller willc ost you like $130 with V/Line.

http://www.vline.com...ail.html?id=203

Thank you for the information dude, Do you know how much (approximately) my Mount Buller trip will cost? particularly on the cost of Equipment rentals and Mt.buller entrance fee. Also, will there be any instructor there or do we need to learn on our own?

Edited by Solaverita