Historical Landmarks of American Craftsmanship

exitrow

Hey I wanted to create a thread to highlight American landmarks of craftsmanship by region, so for example if you're traveling through NC, you can find out that places like Cone Mills, or Raleigh Denim exist, or if you're in Portland OR, you can find out about Langlitz Motorcycle Jacket Shop and the Danner Factory and maybe check them out.

Please educate me/us on the landmarks in your area!

I know I end up traveling to random places around the country (I'm sure I'm not the only one), and I would love to visit some spots that are relevant to America's legacy of garment manufacture and craftsmanship.

Anyway, I'll start:

Portland

Langlitz Leathers Inc.

www.langlitz.com

503-235-0959

2443-A SE Division

Portland, Oregon 97202

8-6 m-f except by appt

Est: 1947

Ridiculously high quality custom motorcycle jackets made in a family run(daughter and son in law of founder) shop. Walked in and spent over an hour talking to the manager about the family history and the amazing leather work (horsehide/goatskin/cowhide). The founders original Velocette motorcycle (customized to be ridden after Mr. Langlitz lost his leg in a motorcycle accident!) is hanging above the shop floor. I could have spent all day here but I dragged some coworkers and they were getting bored.

Danner Factory Store

http://www.danner.com/category/factory+store.do

503-251-1111

12722 NE Airport Way

Portland, OR 97230

Mon-Sat 9AM - 6PM

Sun 10AM - 4PM

Not so fantastic as a cultural artifact, but there are some nice examples of vintage boots on display here, as well as a video on the history of the brand. Also, as has been noted many times on this site, this is the place to find the boots for sale only in Japan, up to a size 9.5 or so, as well as discounted boots for the states as well.

San Francisco

Johnson Leather Corp.

www.johnsonleather.com

(415) 775-7393

1-800-730-7722

1833 Polk St.

San Francisco, Ca. 94109

Mon.-Sat. 10:30am-6:30pm

Sun. 12:00pm-5:00pm

In business since 1979, specializing in leather jackets, Johnson's is a pretty amazing place to spend a couple hours. The proprieter is incredibly friendly and enthusiastic, we flipped through his copies of several of Rin Tanaka's books and he brought out examples of horsehide coats he hade made, vintage deadstock talon zippers he had been shipped by Japanese customers, and all manner of other interesting items. Full disclosure I just bought a jacket here last month.

I'll ad some more locations if there's any interest.

If anyone has any info for any similar places of interest in Missouri, I'm going to be in Kansas City and Columbia next week. I know Chippewa has a factory here, and Lee used to, but I'm short on details.

Also, I can post some pics, but they have mostly been taken w/ my blackberry, so don't get too excited.

awesome thread idea!

it hasn't been around for too long (compared to langlitz, danner, or cone mills) but fox creek leather in independence, va., handcrafts their motorcycle jackets on-site, and i can speak to their quality. it would probably be a pretty nice place to visit.

www.foxcreekleather.com

also, schott leather mfgr in nyc, maker of such classic motorcycle jackets like marlon brando's one star perfecto from wild ones. i think i've read that they do shop tours.

www.shottnyc.com

my father-in-law used to work for cone mills back in the day, at the hillsborough, nc., plant. it's no longer operational, but i toured the site (since i go there every year for the holidays) and it was pretty cool thinking about all the denim that used to be manufactured there.

i'll probably try to go visit raleigh denim over the holidays this year...maybe i'll take some pics and post them.

let's keep this thread going, and with pics!