Jump to content
ninetynine

What are your jeans doing today?

Recommended Posts

The fence looks great, so do your jeans, shredwin_206, nice work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@lance the jeans really are close to needing to be retired. 
but I can’t help throwing them on. They fit great and are so soft now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RBib8um.jpg

zVw5EZ5.jpg

painting with the kids tonight. 
I became the rag when things got out of hand. Haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks great Neal, I like the way you’ve cut the door frame to accommodate the circular doorknob. Some of the terraced Victorian houses near me have a similar feature for the doorbells, where the door is set back from the front wall into a porch and even the masonry at the side has a curved recess. Great job.

The only thing confusing me is why your shed is in the front garden!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

miVhvGG.jpg

R8hbmmy.jpg

6aP7urf.jpg

as you may or may not know I work commercial construction for a living. I’m a plumber. This is where I had to work today. A bit cramped 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

That looks great Neal, I like the way you’ve cut the door frame to accommodate the circular doorknob. Some of the terraced Victorian houses near me have a similar feature for the doorbells, where the door is set back from the front wall into a porch and even the masonry at the side has a curved recess. Great job.

The only thing confusing me is why your shed is in the front garden!

Thanks Martin, it was a bit of an afterthought.. to the left of the house there's a huge garden belonging to a swanky house a few roads away so there is nothing to block the crazy winds blowing down from the Peaks it blows down through Hangingwater like a funnel onto our gable end.

The old door was housed into the frame by 1/2" then it had a later 1/2" wooden weather strip fitted over the top and then some external rubber weather seal nailed over the top of that, i didn't want all that nonsense so we built the rubber weather seal into the frame but just to be on the safe side, i housed it in by 1" therefor making the handle closer to the frame (i wouldn't have mattered with the levers) i replaced the old 64mm mortice lock with a 76mm version giving me an extra 12mm clearence but it was still a bit close for my fat fingers so i carved out a neet radius struck from the handle center, turned out alright hasn't it..

Is a front garden shed considered a planning faux pas? i have a stone patio beyond the shed and a woodshed beyond the patio.. around the back ive got that bike store i made with the green/living roof and the outside loo.

I'm now on the hunt for some period encaustic Victorian floor tiles (fuck me they're expensive) so i can tile the continuation of the stone step on the inside of the house...

Thanks Gav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful that is. A proper labour of love and it shows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Double 0 Soul awesome job... looks great... agree a proper labour of love and also a love of labour... bravo to both...

(not mentioning that the love of labour exceeding a day does actually make this the wrong thread... oh calm down lads, it's Friday, I'm joking)

I'm but 30 minutes up the M1 if you ever find yourself short of fine looking craftmanship work to do :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

....cont

Since the onset of Covid, i haven't had a great deal to do at work so ive spent the summer restoring and reintroducing some Victoriana into the outside of our c1879 terrace house, although folks now care for these houses dearly, there was decades pre and post war when they was rather neglected.. if they survived the slum clearance they would succumb to the onslaught of UPVC... anyhow, when we bought this c1879 house some of the original features still remained, alas in a desperate state of neglect but at least it gave me something to work with, this was the old front door, some nasty 1980's varnished mahogony, which has peeled in the sun with c1960 skylight in a rotton poorly repaired frame.

fullsizeoutput_288a

Around a year ago i bought a 1920's sunburst, stainglass front door and spent many an hour restoring it at work, blanking off the old door furniture ect...

fullsizeoutput_2308

.

fullsizeoutput_230e

I bought some 30's era brass levers and matching letterbox

fullsizeoutput_230d

...decided they didn't look quite right so bought buns instead, mainly for the patina, stamped 'GR'

fullsizeoutput_2889

I made a little sketch of the old period door moulding

fullsizeoutput_23f9

.

fullsizeoutput_2415

...and replaced it with a new frame in Tulip wood

fullsizeoutput_287a

The door now looks like this, the piece of plywood covering the skylight is only temporary until my replacment piece of stainglass comes back from the makers

fullsizeoutput_2878

Held open in style with my Frida Kahlo door wedge

fullsizeoutput_2888

I started sanding the windows back to the woodwork, i had to because the previous owners had given it a quick coat of black paint just to sell the house without using undercoat so it was already flaking when we moved in, i tried sanding it, but it was hopeless... i bought some Niromors, but European regulations/health and saftey have forced them to remove the active ingredients so it only bubbles the top layer of paint...fucking useless really, eventually i decided to carefully burn it off with a butane gun, the kind that plumbers use for soldering pipes.

fullsizeoutput_27be

..everything you see in white is recent wooden frames housing Pilkington double glazing and everything in brown is original, 140 yr old woodwork.

The heat from the gas-gun left a horrible oily paint residue, so i tried Rustings paint stripper to remove it...once all the paint had gone i started sanding down, this is the first time the windows have been taken back to bare wood since the house was built, i went through the black to white to magnolia which i'm assuming was the 90's, through 1980's red, through yellow to 1970's orange, brown, and mustard.. maroon and eventually bottle green which was the base colour, fascinating peeling back all the layers/years.

fullsizeoutput_27c0

..it took 160hrs to make this^ one window look like this

fullsizeoutput_27ce

Junky 46's in action

fullsizeoutput_2792

Life was made easier because i had the entire house scaffolded up, we ground out all the crumbly Victorian black ash mortar and re-pointed all the brickwork, albeit the scaff only went up to gutter level so my neighbour belayed me out of the velux and i put a strap around the chimneys and clipped in my harness, i repaired all the wooden guttering while i was at it.

The house now looks like this

fullsizeoutput_2881

The sunburst shines out into the darkness

fullsizeoutput_2884

..i'm having yet another well deserved beer

fullsizeoutput_2887

fin.

 

18 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

....cont

Since the onset of Covid, i haven't had a great deal to do at work so ive spent the summer restoring and reintroducing some Victoriana into the outside of our c1879 terrace house, although folks now care for these houses dearly, there was decades pre and post war when they was rather neglected.. if they survived the slum clearance they would succumb to the onslaught of UPVC... anyhow, when we bought this c1879 house some of the original features still remained, alas in a desperate state of neglect but at least it gave me something to work with, this was the old front door, some nasty 1980's varnished mahogony, which has peeled in the sun with c1960 skylight in a rotton poorly repaired frame.

fullsizeoutput_288a

Around a year ago i bought a 1920's sunburst, stainglass front door and spent many an hour restoring it at work, blanking off the old door furniture ect...

fullsizeoutput_2308

.

fullsizeoutput_230e

I bought some 30's era brass levers and matching letterbox

fullsizeoutput_230d

...decided they didn't look quite right so bought buns instead, mainly for the patina, stamped 'GR'

fullsizeoutput_2889

I made a little sketch of the old period door moulding

fullsizeoutput_23f9

.

fullsizeoutput_2415

...and replaced it with a new frame in Tulip wood

fullsizeoutput_287a

The door now looks like this, the piece of plywood covering the skylight is only temporary until my replacment piece of stainglass comes back from the makers

fullsizeoutput_2878

Held open in style with my Frida Kahlo door wedge

fullsizeoutput_2888

I started sanding the windows back to the woodwork, i had to because the previous owners had given it a quick coat of black paint just to sell the house without using undercoat so it was already flaking when we moved in, i tried sanding it, but it was hopeless... i bought some Niromors, but European regulations/health and saftey have forced them to remove the active ingredients so it only bubbles the top layer of paint...fucking useless really, eventually i decided to carefully burn it off with a butane gun, the kind that plumbers use for soldering pipes.

fullsizeoutput_27be

..everything you see in white is recent wooden frames housing Pilkington double glazing and everything in brown is original, 140 yr old woodwork.

The heat from the gas-gun left a horrible oily paint residue, so i tried Rustings paint stripper to remove it...once all the paint had gone i started sanding down, this is the first time the windows have been taken back to bare wood since the house was built, i went through the black to white to magnolia which i'm assuming was the 90's, through 1980's red, through yellow to 1970's orange, brown, and mustard.. maroon and eventually bottle green which was the base colour, fascinating peeling back all the layers/years.

fullsizeoutput_27c0

..it took 160hrs to make this^ one window look like this

fullsizeoutput_27ce

Junky 46's in action

fullsizeoutput_2792

Life was made easier because i had the entire house scaffolded up, we ground out all the crumbly Victorian black ash mortar and re-pointed all the brickwork, albeit the scaff only went up to gutter level so my neighbour belayed me out of the velux and i put a strap around the chimneys and clipped in my harness, i repaired all the wooden guttering while i was at it.

The house now looks like this

fullsizeoutput_2881

The sunburst shines out into the darkness

fullsizeoutput_2884

..i'm having yet another well deserved beer

fullsizeoutput_2887

fin.

Always some one to give you a belay in Sheffield.

Edited by H...crimper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in Texas it's been hot for months and denim has been folded up in closet but I heard it cry out for the great outdoors so I put up on clothes line and...it rained cats and dogs for days - good cold rain water - as you can see I'm not much of a fader but I love denim like ya'll. I'm wearing a pair of thrifted Levi's. Blue denim and pink shoes.

41943104_Unknown.jpeg

Edited by thedapperdane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, heyson said:

For tennis solo

Cool, when i was kid, our school had about 12 tennis courts, the nets were up through the summer, mofo's would fuck around with them, using them like giant catapults or setting fire to them but overall they were pretty good courts, i had a net key which i nicked from the caretakers office so we could usually get a game even if the nets were down. If the courts were full, usually around Wimbledon fortnight there was a massive wall (a bigger version of yours) it was the gable end to the gym block and we used to play a bastard version of squash/tennis while waiting for a game.., the wall/court was between two fallpipes and up to where the brick became pebbledash, often this would become so competative we never ended up palyed tennis, i'm still quite partial to that WII Sports tennis/target game today..

There was always some poor twat who's house was perfectly possitioned for some painted on footy posts of cricket stumps (usually in white gloss) kids would be blasting balls at your house till the sun went down... imagine that nowadys, you'de go ape-shit!... scrubbing it with a toothbrush and a cup of white spirit.

Photo's of goalposts from around the UK

Urban Goals

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, justintk said:

@Double 0 Soul I really like that door! Not so sure about that stout though... is it sweet?

On the contrary.. It has an immediate charcoal-y flavour very much like Guinness West Indies Porter even after swallowing it, it takes a second or two for the ginger cake to come through as an aftertaste, it's quite subtle, like you i was expecting something sweet like a dessert beer... they also do the same stout without the ginger.

I decided to forgo my usual cheap swill and celebrate finishing the house with a 24x case of beer from Abbeydale (4x different 6packs) they deliver it to the pub up the road free of charge, flippin eck it was £72 :o i usually spend a tenner on a 12pack,  it was all very nice tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That actually sounds really good! Here in the USA we have pumpkin flavor mania in the fall (actually starting pretty soon I think). Last year I bought some "Pumpkin Pie Porter" and it was super sweet... exactly like a bad pumpkin pie, actually. I generally do like a vanilla stout though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I work part time as a tour guide on a bird watching/natural reserve park. Today was 38 degrees Celsius(which is the cooler it’s been in this awful September). There weren’t many people visiting the park obviously, so I had a chance to take some cool pictures of migrating birds(And a wild boar, and some storks that stayed the night.The Nutria skull is not from today but from last week),as fall migration is is in its peak right now. 
 

172DC9A9-DAFF-4F5B-976D-FF0555164A9A.jpeg

D91AC909-E117-42AF-8E70-984D5BC0AEFB.jpeg

3BF53075-F892-455D-B2DF-A49224E5B755.jpeg

E95F2885-F86F-46F1-BC92-36184EC1D6E9.jpeg

EEB7B50D-445F-4F8B-8B6B-B30A8113D910.jpeg

92616D56-645F-4B89-969F-79354A22B6D6.jpeg

0F1C8F8D-7347-49A3-BEED-E7ADAE5F60FD.jpeg

242F487B-639B-42E6-9B90-AE8509C5E9C8.jpeg

CE466F6E-A5BB-4AD6-8474-DCF2D80D7083.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2020 at 1:25 AM, Double 0 Soul said:

Cool, when i was kid, our school had about 12 tennis courts, the nets were up through the summer, mofo's would fuck around with them, using them like giant catapults or setting fire to them but overall they were pretty good courts, i had a net key which i nicked from the caretakers office so we could usually get a game even if the nets were down. If the courts were full, usually around Wimbledon fortnight there was a massive wall (a bigger version of yours) it was the gable end to the gym block and we used to play a bastard version of squash/tennis while waiting for a game.., the wall/court was between two fallpipes and up to where the brick became pebbledash, often this would become so competative we never ended up palyed tennis, i'm still quite partial to that WII Sports tennis/target game today..

There was always some poor twat who's house was perfectly possitioned for some painted on footy posts of cricket stumps (usually in white gloss) kids would be blasting balls at your house till the sun went down... imagine that nowadys, you'de go ape-shit!... scrubbing it with a toothbrush and a cup of white spirit.

Photo's of goalposts from around the UK

Urban Goals

That’s pretty nuts! I would hate to ruin the kids fun, but be pissed ha.

I painted this wall for someone I work for. It’s outside one of his studio rooms. He’s a tennis junkie, and even in his late 70s he makes it out to play almost everyday. He wanted some more practice in the afternoons so we poured the concrete and slapped up a can of paint that was laying around.

the only tennis I ever played was with a high school fling of mine. I would crack the ball as hard as I could until she was sick of it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awaiting Maynard comment...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

S4mNHjk.jpg

went to visit Snoqualamie Falls today 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wearing Studio D’artisan multi-color jeans to make another multi-color jeans for my friend
 

5C2D1A37-D35F-4656-95CC-A37EAD5CF9E8.thumb.jpeg.b683c834bd3a2f1ed8eabe789df4572f.jpegD967A930-79F2-465A-9F9B-5D45FD2B72E7.thumb.jpeg.90c6e5c0f974c6c87b8e02b1202b949e.jpeg63A918E5-3D21-4F42-A74A-6A66C527CBCC.thumb.jpeg.a60b081624777c88be39ee10229e6583.jpeg1185AF5F-2F34-40B7-B9BC-3DAF5ED63A4A.thumb.jpeg.3dde537520dd4c9c4ab650b58cad8aca.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Postcard from Bridlington on the east coast of Yorkshire in August

I was fascinated for hours...

What a time to be alive (a wise and hairy man once said)

Not a ‘kiss me quick’ hat in sight... thankfully... for more reason than one

The big wheel keeps on turning...

20200830 Brid Filey 1.JPG

 

Grand National… sanitised version… non-runner providing mandatory 1m clearance

20200830 Brid Filey 2.JPG

20200830 Brid Filey 3.JPG

 

Couldn’t date them – still waiting on my new book

20200830 Brid Filey 4.JPG

20200830 Brid Filey 5.JPG

 

An ‘18’... brazen and provocative in plain sight!

20200830 Brid Filey 6.JPG

20200830 Brid Filey 7.JPG

 

However hard I stare... and I have many times... I still don’t know what’s going on here… answers on a postcard

20200830 Brid Filey 8.JPG

 

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside...

20200830 Brid Filey 9.JPG

20200830 Brid Filey 10.JPG

20200830 Brid Filey 11.JPG

Edited by MJF9
to write stuff before the pics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s some heavy reinforcement, shredwin_206, what’s it going to be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two 46 story buildings! 
concert venue and retail space below and apartments above. Over 1k apartments 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, shredwin_206 said:

Two 46 story buildings! 
concert venue and retail space below and apartments above. Over 1k apartments 

En route to work, i cycle past this concrete structure which was supposed to be Sheffield Universities new Facaulty of Social Sciences Hub..

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/emap-nibiru-prod/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2020/09/01163337/sheffield-hlm-3by2.jpg

alas they fucked up the foundations so the whole structure was sinking :rolleyes:...

https://www.thestar.co.uk/webimg/b25lY21zOjA5ODU3ZDQwLWNhNTItNDBjYi1iZGRiLWU0MDU3OTJmMTRjMjowZDFhOTMwNy1kYmQ0LTQzNTgtYTNiOS05MzcxZDRkZjM1YWI=.jpg?width=640

a few months ago they decided to cut their losses (65 million quid) and start again, they've been chomping up the concrete with these big-ass machines which has been making a right row.. all the local residents are going fucking mental

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now