supertalk6
ninetynine

What are your jeans doing today?

so, less where did jeans go today

more where did my jeans go to get more jeans

in boncoura thread, some time back @Maynard Friedman and @Niro speculate on peckham's [in london, uk] & gentrification

going to peckham (situated in my own backyard) to get hands on my recently purchased goods thought I would answer some...

peckham as new shoreditch? yes. no. maybe. perhaps more hackney / dalston junction... [but certainly bussey building has truman brewery potential]

the area is a funny place w. extremes in close proximity: before peckham rye is the first attempt in gentrification in mid 90s: bellenden road - be-decked by anthony gormley designed street architecture: the dildonic design helping the local slang renaming of it as 'bell-end road'...

o6czpKhl.jpg

0SYl3Pfl.jpg

on the road leading to peckham rye (ending in busy building) one end has vintage cars down driveways, a porsche, audi and jaguar parked all in a line on road; yet other end of same road is all meat market and nail bars moving onto the main road which is populated pretty keenly w. the modern ruins of municipal disinvestment...

ugnyph9l.jpg

FgwE99Al.jpg

QT2U8f0l.jpg

xklKO0Nl.jpg

looking at street iconography: lurking lumbersexual iconography is found next to a local nursery and its crazed window collage - but most of the 'rye' [main street] remains local trading and the odd chain looking glaringly out of place...

PVyiuJGl.jpg

PTSrnZyl.jpg

7LGa9TIl.jpg

XNRa9dCl.jpg

the visible signs of the contrasting conditions is in a row of four properties all next to each other: a local legal service with immigration services as a speciality next to foxton's estate agents [famed for their raising of realty prices] next to an art gallery next to an empty shop haunted by dis-used sewing machines...

eCYU6HFl.jpg

2UX4kSel.jpg

ckYul62l.jpg

NM7LGt5l.jpg

then a survey of street stickers as street portrait...

sGETRVql.jpg

7ev10K5l.jpg

E8SzFfwl.jpg

PK0vGmYl.jpg

8fGp0ril.jpg

but this all pales in comparison to southwark council's [peckham is within the borough of southwark...] compulsory purchase orders and relocation of residents of social housing in now demolished and to be demolished social housing nearer into the centre of the city [elephant and castle and the walworth road]

a useful link to current practice and wider reading on the topic posted by those in the midst of that situation...

https://southwarknotes.wordpress.com

https://southwarknotes.wordpress.com/art-and-regeneration/writing-on-art-and-gentrification/

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

I was in Peckham couple weeks back, and like you I found the extremes amusing. Walking down the high street of Rye Lane is what I knew/expect of inner city london, and then turning into Blenheim Grove (road with Peckham Rye station I think) is like stepping into another world almost. Going from chicken shops, betting shops, grocers, fishmongers, and small afro carribean shops to craft beer brewery, sour dough bakery, upmarket burger place, and trendy bars from one road to the next was just unreal.

The first glimpse into the future of Peckham

On 4/7/2018 at 8:50 AM, Geeman said:

Dragging the family round denim spots in Tokyo 

hwiwBeh.jpgasyKToT.jpg

in your second photo where you are carrying them two mccoy bags, what's that jungle jacket you are wearing?  just curious.  thanks.

13 hours ago, Niro said:

I was in Peckham couple weeks back, and like you I found the extremes amusing. Walking down the high street of Rye Lane is what I knew/expect of inner city london, and then turning into Blenheim Grove (road with Peckham Rye station I think) is like stepping into another world almost. Going from chicken shops, betting shops, grocers, fishmongers, and small afro carribean shops to craft beer brewery, sour dough bakery, upmarket burger place, and trendy bars from one road to the next was just unreal.

The first glimpse into the future of Peckham

yup: blenheim grove is exactly the road i was talking about; connects bellenden road to peckham rye; with vintage cars one end, then 'normal' peckham the other...

the other madness of that road is that one half is all train track and car garages... and in those railway arches indeed spring things including blenheim forge: who seem to make the best handmade japanese-style kitchen knives in london... 

i was going to take pictures of exactly the sour dough place you mean; but was accosted by an ex-colleague who was drinking coffee there, so was distracted [by my own intersectionality to say the least]! 

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

ha yea. It is a complete clash of worlds. Find it quite interesting. Although I suppose some of the local residents who have lived there for decades might not see it that way

Also @Geeman nice pics! Lucky guy on another Tokyo trip so soon after the last one!

Edited by Niro

Thanks bartles, gentrification is always an interesting process and like the working day of a lift engineer, it has its ups and downs. Hopefully it will happen in Willesden soon!

Staying over this weekend in the metropolis (more specifically in the aforenamed home of the "revenant zombies")... my room with a view (lol) shows ongoing expansion, upwards as well as outwards. Next up could be floating schools on the Thames I heard a while back. Sadly missed many photo opportunities as we were dashing about all weekend but some nice vintage motors were on show at Kings Cross vintage car boot event...

2018-04-29 17.41.38.jpg

19 hours ago, Geeman said:

@heavydoom it's From Freaks Store Japan, from their own brand

thanks for the info!

Hello All, a double rainbow in my backyard; have a lucky day!

4F49EC50-ED28-4FE0-8E60-4278B2E9EB22.thumb.jpeg.cf2af52f4593c2dcf67d8995167c3632.jpeg

Nice little backyard you have there Lance!

Thanks, Maynard, the back of the house is mostly glass so I wake up to it, swim and kayak in it and go to sleep looking at it. Every day for 22 years I have loved it. Now, if the gators and hurricanes will continue to be kind!

Edited by lance

Ok... more like a few snaps of what my jeans did last week on a little tour of the North East of Britain... super friendly folk and a cracking stretch of coastline...

Cricket at Bamburgh Castle;

South Shields sands with trusty daisy mae bathed in sunshine;

The top notch Riley's fish shack at Tynemouth - chilled vibes matched with fresh catch perfectly cooked;
(forgive me for the picture quality!)

2018-08-13 21.33.24.jpg

20180807_121028.jpg

2018-08-15 21.26.22.jpg

2018-08-13 21.37.23.jpg

Edited by MJF9

Hmmm, speaking of gators, here's an 8 footer 12 feet off the edge of my backyard :ohmy: I was swimming there this morning at 10 AM!

IMG_0645.thumb.JPG.569a59e750aad75d73a81030dc0f4ef3.JPG

The weekend has been spent mostly in this position 

.Internet

Kindle 

PBJ 

Bourbon 

UES 

EX0qtjb.jpg

I'm really liking the UES denim. A lighter shade of blue than usual, developing quite a bit of character. 

Back on January 28 I posted a bonus shot of 2 crazy sandhill cranes in the PBJ thread that used to visit me a couple times a week with one of them coming to the sliding glass door and banging on the glass with its beak until I’d come into the room and sit down. I haven’t seen them in a couple of months but today I heard the familiar banging and this is what I found! Turns out the original 2 were male and female and today they paid me a visit with 2 additions to the family! You can tell the young ones as they have white feathers rather than red on their heads. Wow, did they grow quickly!

80083E53-4ACE-405E-8C4B-FD42707746A7.thumb.jpeg.0860f8a47f192c2aa362638d155e3c66.jpeg

^ I've lived on the lake for 22 years. When I first bought the home, there were many more gators than at  present because adjacent building construction has encroached on their habitat (and mine!) But now as then, when I swim or kayak, I am careful to scan the area before entering the water and I check frequently, when swimming, to look for them. So far, so good! At this hour, I am looking carefully at hurricane Florence which seems to be turning south; again, so far, so good! Hopefully my luck will continue to hold on both accounts.

stay safe - alligators, storms and otherwise!

Edited by Foxy2

This weekend as part of the annual Birmingham Heritage week Birminghams museums opened their shared storage facilities to the public. It's a huge building where they hold all the exhibits currently not on display or on loan to another city's museum or exhibition. As you'd expect from the Birmingham / Black Country area it was loaded with old industrial relics, engines etc as well as ancient Egypt and European artifacts.
It was a veritable treasure chest of oddities and machinery! 
Loads of pics, but my highlight was the 'sauce' sign that was part of the HP Sauce sign from the now closed home of brown sauce in Aston. 

Apologies for the geek overload 

tKFfvnI.jpg

fWzzFul.jpg

iO4SLwg.jpg

NEfDGoS.jpg

BAoys1d.jpg

85EBj9w.jpg

KihyQkb.jpg

AhTWFIC.jpg

hKKe7Nx.jpg

gvTrLgo.jpg

rN86RYc.jpg

UH6R14l.jpg

IZefw7a.jpg

YFGAgKb.jpg

6mFJgkx.jpg

d7NX1rX.jpg

0KiVtA2.jpg

BwuQjgk.jpg

zjSDNIB.jpg

F5hhS6d.jpg

I was able to get the last two tickets to My Hero Academia Two Heroes.  Dubbed because subtitled was sold out.  Drove over an hour to see this but it was worth it! 

IMG_4056.JPG

Edited by mlwdp

Saturday marked the first official day of my favorite time of the year: hachiya season!

ynmguINg.jpg

Near nothing from now through the end of the Winter holidays will dampen my excitement.