What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

Not as scientifically important but still fun:

My parents got a yuzu tree a few months back. Fruits and all, in the fruits were lots of seeds (around 20) about 1,3 cm diameter. So huge seeds for a citrus.

Since our own yuzu died because it was grafted on a less hardy rootstock, we were on the search for a replacement for a while and behold:

We put the seeds in germination containers and nothing happened for a good while.

6 - 8 weeks germination (1 still hasn't put it's head out, even though it is rooting), a bit of water and a warm spot and we got 6 plants, 1 coming. Let's hope they all pull through :)

IMG-20240129-WA0002.jpeg

While I should be writing a masters thesis, walking in the mud is more fun. It has been raining almost non stop for the past 14 days, so when I spotted an opening I took the dog out for a walk. It was nice and muddy. 

IMG_6389.jpeg

@Thanks_M8 that’s really cool. We have plenty of citrus trees (2 types of orange, lemon, 2 mandarins and one red grapefruit) but no yuzu. I recently tried to translate a yuzu peel tea recipe to orange and came out horrible. 

Edited by Hopethisoneisnttaken

@Hopethisoneisnttaken thanks! 

Where do you live, if I may ask? Would love to have a tiny orchard myself.

If you use the whole fruit it works out fine, imo. Since yuzu peel is s bit sweeter and more aromatic the recipe can be altered like this (at least i tried it and it worked fine).

Tbh I only found out about yuzu because they are supposed to be pretty hardy (grafted on trifoliate orange down to -15 °C and on their own roots down to -12 °C) the fruits are great though. I'm on the lookout for other hardy species for our balcony right now, but most are just supposed to taste like bitter grapefruits or trifoliate oranges, which isn't my thing.

Edited by Thanks_M8

3 hours ago, Thanks_M8 said:

@Hopethisoneisnttaken thanks! 

Where do you live, if I may ask? Would love to have a tiny orchard myself.

If you use the whole fruit it works out fine, imo. Since yuzu peel is s bit sweeter and more aromatic the recipe can be altered like this (at least i tried it and it worked fine).

Tbh I only found out about yuzu because they are supposed to be pretty hardy (grafted on trifoliate orange down to -15 °C and on their own roots down to -12 °C) the fruits are great though. I'm on the lookout for other hardy species for our balcony right now, but most are just supposed to taste like bitter grapefruits or trifoliate oranges, which isn't my thing.

I'm from Israel. Summers are hot and humid and winters are relatively warm(5 to 18 C most days, rarely goes below 5), so ideal for these type of citruses. We're actually renting so I didn't planet the trees, but the fruit are amazing. Also they all ripe in different stages of winters, so there's that, and the flowers which are starting to bloon now smell amazing.

I did planet some other stuff though. Sweet potatoes, beans, onions, garlic and spaghetti squash(which the wild boars have destroyed almost entirely).

Where do you live?

Edited by Hopethisoneisnttaken

I live in southwest germany, the region is called Breisgau. Summers here are hot and dry, winters mild but we get frost for a week or two usually. Sometimes - 12°C, but only for a day or two.

Not ideal weather for mediteranean plants, but I guess I have to try :D

@julian-wolf looks like some really cool instrumentation, and you're right that the teal color looks real nice. What's the usefulness/end goal of studying this stuff?

Edited by rbeck

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a couple evenings this past week tending dye pots of cochineal and red cabbage

Both dyes were new to us, so so far it’s just been testing out different fabric treatments & dye additives, with some cheap silk handkerchiefs and some little cotton & linen test strips

n2aHqRU.jpeg

rfHNFdY.jpeg

hKBPJkY.jpeg

fI1AgyY.jpeg

ZufNmSq.jpeg

Y1pPtIL.jpeg

DRcm5Sc.jpeg

BEUuZkT.jpeg

81c3x5o.jpeg

4I7XyHt.jpeg

PtzkRyg.jpeg

On 1/30/2024 at 1:01 PM, Thanks_M8 said:

I live in southwest germany, the region is called Breisgau. Summers here are hot and dry, winters mild but we get frost for a week or two usually. Sometimes - 12°C, but only for a day or two.

Not ideal weather for mediteranean plants, but I guess I have to try :D

We lived next door at the beginning of the war. A little to the south, in the Zell im Wiesenthal area. We often came to Freiburg. Very beautiful places. 

Another morning in the barn. Fullcount 1101s this time. Carhartt jacket being used as intended. Mucking, haying, watering, feeding, petting, etc.

IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_3993.jpg

IMG_3994.jpg

Homeward bound after a trip to Johannesburg and Pretoria... 

The main man himself in Sandton, Johannesburg

IMG_4242.jpeg

Voortrekker Monument, Pretoria

IMG_4151.jpeg

97B05FB8-C9D8-4DC9-8587-1CF0F8816028.jpeg

View from the Voortrekker of Pretoria

03AB6A69-EB42-4F5C-92A4-48D0A3F7E188.jpeg

E059E142-3149-4B63-8BB2-215D8D605E1A.jpeg

Peech hotel in Johannesburg, near Melrose Arch

92C87C58-7D2B-4332-B4E7-0C1A6D27D5DF.jpeg

IMG_4055.jpeg

Freewheelers WW2 denim and Buckweat

IMG_4075.jpeg

Edited by MJF9
Added some details

• 2 weeks later...

Had lunch with my lad in the seated area near Hibiscus Rising, a sculpture I’d read about and wanted to see close up.  It’s touted as ‘Leeds first public artwork to reflect the cultural diversity of the city’.  That’s nice language to describe the abhorrent police racism and brutality in the late 1960s against David Oluwale which is at the root of this.   

20240402 South Bank Leeds 1.JPEG

Then a wander around what they’re calling the South Bank end of Leeds.  I can see the city is being opened up and this old part of town regenerated and linked into the city centre.  A mixture of old red brick and new multi-coloured gaudy blocks whichever way you look.

20240402 South Bank Leeds 2.JPEG

The Teletley's Brewery building... brewers long gone

20240402 South Bank Leeds 3.JPEG

The front of Salem Chapel, dated 1906

20240402 South Bank Leeds 4.JPEG

The original chapel buildings from 1791, with the city centre in the background

20240402 South Bank Leeds 5.JPEG

20240402 South Bank Leeds 6.JPEG

I never knew until today Leeds United football club was founded here in 1919

20240402 South Bank Leeds 7.JPEG

Modern city centre living

20240402 South Bank Leeds 8.JPEG