What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was down in the big smoke of London town this week, before the news and the crowds started to gather 

Based on what I saw, footfall is still reduced post covid, less busy than before, including around the city - will be interesting to see how the next few years pan out there

Such a great place to get out on foot and just wander around

20220906 London 1.JPG

20220906 London 2.JPG

20220906 London 7.JPG

20220906 London 4.JPG

20220906 London 5.JPG

20220906 London 6.JPG

Edited by MJF9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As someone who has adjuncted at a few public R1's over the years (though I've got no past or current affiliation with the big one where I live now), get that shit. Higher ed is pretty broken the way it is so heavily reliant on short term/contract labor these days, even though I still think you're in one of the best public systems you can find. 

^ As someone with a decent amt of knowledge of the labour movement in higher education, I’d argue that the California system is one of the best to work for precisely because of the strength and persistence of its union. And that goes for most industries, honestly! I know there are some major ongoing strikes in the UK as well, including one that was recently settled by a large union of university faculty. Wishing you and your coworkers all success in your efforts, @julian-wolf!

Apologies in advance for those who are squeamish or personally object to harvesting animals. 

My father and I are processing and packaging the quarters of a doe deer today. We are already far into the total process; I only want to share the more familiar images one might expect out of respect. 

Few things are as rewarding, in my opinion, as sourcing, harvesting, and processing your own meat. From the day you drop the animal to the final packaging and storing of the cuts, 

the entire process instills a great deal of gratitude and interconnectivity.

Here is a back quarter waiting to be processed

1694760787_waitingtobeprocessed.thumb.jpg.749928396a487c845962bd0050f578db.jpg

Grind waiting to be processed (will become burger)

1668360645_unprocessedgrind.thumb.jpg.642030a8dbc7abb13d87badf25261a38.jpg

Grind fully processed, waiting to be ground.

1484595284_Processedgrind.thumb.jpg.695d7cd007e7c6e05fdc743438f03117.jpg

Smaller, processed roast ready to be wrapped. 

1087263843_processedfrontroast.thumb.jpg.28218aee3d8014209ce85c7527d59fcb.jpg

Last year's buck after a trip to the local beetle farm.

1073557276_lastyearsbuck.thumb.jpg.321b36cd52df22b074ce99c1f81f40f8.jpg

^That’s amazing!! I attempted to butcher and roast a whole goat last december for some friends who were coming into town - needless to say, it was exhausting, both because it was gruesome and extremely difficult. gave me a lot of respect for the study and care that knowledgeable butchers devote to their craft… and got me to invest in a good whetstone for my knives, lol. Thank you for sharing and enjoy your meals!

Thank you, we had a tenderloin tonight to celebrate, better than any grass-fed/finished beef you can find. Venison is a wonderful protein source, we hope to winter deer on a future property in Eastern Washington soon. 

You roasted the goat whole? How did you cook it? 

That sounds amazing. I’m in western Washington now but have some friends in the cascades who have a similar hope this winter. The goat became several meals because I didn’t realize I’d end up with about 35 pounds of edible meat… I learned from cooking alongside some achuar chefs in the Ecuadorean Amazon to make really rich broths with the blood, organs and ribs, so made a sort of improvised ground nut stew with potatoes and chard, then later made an osso bucco with the shanks, the front legs I roasted and most of the rest ended up getting frozen and then given to my neighbour a few months later… don’t remember what he made but he fed a dozen people with it! I’d love to see what you end up making with the rest of your venison whenever you get around to it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2022 at 1:59 AM, julian-wolf said:

This week, my jeans have been on strike for a fair contract

Well it’s been three weeks. One of the three groups that are bargaining together (postdocs + academics researchers, with the other two groups being student researchers and student instructors) has reached a tentative agreement, which is looking pretty hopeful. As of Thursday of this past week, UC hadn’t budged on negotiations with either of the other two groups. Across the state, disruptive actions were planned to get things moving.

In Berkeley, around 150 of us occupied the building where the chancellors of the university have their offices. It’s the most guarded building on campus, and even managing to get people inside was a feat. As it became clear that we weren’t going to be arrested and taken away, further feats were required to smuggle in food, and, eventually, sleeping bags.

Many of us (myself included) left after close of business, but around 55 stayed through the night, and successfully kept the building shut down for two full business days before leaving mid-day on Friday.

Spirits were high, and the efforts to coordinate keeping everyone comfortable and to get food, toiletries, medications, and other necessities into the building throughout the night were impressive, and really heartwarming.

On Friday night, UC finally showed willingness to negotiate in good faith, making offers to both the researchers and the instructors which include significant concessions. It’s less than many were hoping for, but it’s a lot better than nothing, and, for the first time, there’s a real possibility that the union may accept and that we’ll have reached a conclusion. I’d really, really like to get back to work. More to come.

42366039-67B8-4A4D-A9FA-7F63B9FE597D.thumb.jpeg.38a0222250f4cf9c3a4349c39c425e1e.jpeg

192EA67E-BAFA-4916-8DE8-F1D13247B80E.thumb.jpeg.45ed7cfe64061a8820c5632b3064772b.jpeg

(feat. Tilley, Joe McCoy, Hollows, Cane’s, Lofgren)

Edited by julian-wolf
Typo fix

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap Ooms! that's a shock.. at least you were looking cool af when it happened!

My uncle Russ had the same thing.. he's dead now but the good news is.. this happened in his 50s and he died in his mid 80s from an unrelated condition having never suffered any further consequences, so i'm sure you'll make a full and speedy recovery.. thankfully they didn't rip your shirt open to defib.. that precious sleeve puckering!

All the love old friend!! you know where we are if you need a chat.