What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

Just got home from a 4hr night hike with the boy in the Peaks

fullsizeoutput_2c72

Water hazard :)

fullsizeoutput_2c71

Beware the moon lads...

fullsizeoutput_2c70

-4°C so layered up to the max, RMC Watchcap, Merino Base, Vintage Dale of Norway, PHD Down, Junky 46's, Woolpower leggins & Mitts, Dunlop

fullsizeoutput_2c76

Time for a hot chocolate..

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Because its fun you miserible old fucker! what was you doing last night night? watching re-runs of Cruising with Jane McDonald.

We also ride the mountain bikes through the Peaks at night but thats trickier to photograph, key to both is mega-beam lights.

It's not unusual y'know, while we was out last night, all the good bouldering spots were lit up with floodlights, folks will climb till the halogens run out even in sub-zero temps.

58 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Because its fun you miserible old fucker! what was you doing last night night? watching re-runs of Cruising with Jane McDonald....

Sorry bud l wasn't aware there was so much activity at night in the peaks. I just thought it odd that's all.

Me? I was resting my fucked feet after a day of planting trees (sorry re-planting trees) and then got an early night (9pm) so l could go to work this morning.

Will have to broogle Cruising with Jane McDonald although it sounds ominous..

There is next to no activity at night in 90% of the Peak District but there is always some around Burbage/Stanage which borders the west of Sheff (where we went last night) those outcrops are where all the best rocks are so you can always find folks bivvying in Robin Hoods Cave so they can stake their claim/ropes at first light, some obsessive climbers literally live at the bottom of their favourite rock face getting by on a diet of instant noodles and water from the stream.

First time i took my kid night hiking, i said to him "don't forget to bring a decent torch" when we got there...

fullsizeoutput_189

fullsizeoutput_757

...we have search and rescue lights nowadays :)

This was the first article i read in Wired around a year ago

https://www.wired.com/story/nameless-hiker-mostly-harmless-internet-mystery/

...and mystery solved last week

https://www.wired.com/story/unsettling-truth-mostly-harmless-hiker/

further reading and comments

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2020/12/the-mystery-of-deceased-hiker-mostly-harmless-is-at-long-last-solved/

Edited by Double 0 Soul

On 1/25/2021 at 11:53 AM, Double 0 Soul said:

Well... That was fascinating reading. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Went for a hike this weekend in Mokelumne Wilderness, just across the 88 from Kirkwood. They can't be seen below my rain pants, but my trusty TFH S2004 were there for the whole ride. Photos courtesy of my hiking partner.

The first half mile took us down into a great valley with a small river that was still running strong. It drains from a dammed lake just a few miles up the road, so we figured it probably runs year-round. We also figured that there would be a bridge across it, somewhere or other.

ACtC-3ecQJBd2c05g49klcK-Sake2qwND_5h0s2G

ACtC-3dlzAdrp2ypoT8H9lbIgSRjLg-DV5YEil5A

There wasn't a bridge, but not too far upstream we were able to find a safe enough crossing. Over the next ridge, we got our first view into the bowl where we'd be pitching camp.

ACtC-3dnWJ2GnGaNa2IBXvTecCmPz_bLE3wFj65j

ACtC-3f1Z9HAtKkhH9CVv2juS2wwq6klOXTPpLng

ACtC-3eXBLFm_mzBRQRUBMyWh9OpYiv8Yh0GdD5A

Dropped our packs, dug out a platform for the tent and a bench for the view.

ACtC-3dISpLkAWH4tzEzEmGCl1fzh_AIFPqghEEl

ACtC-3eokMCFC7-7aqT9WB8JiApYJbFQT_KfzaKb

ACtC-3fj9DkdBL7MJ5zjHYRZ2AM7Z3aAF49HZOsG

ACtC-3eE8A-qaSsAW6ukgkJHb7Op6gFOtyHe29NL

It snowed all night, then it warmed up in the morning and rained and hailed for a while. We struck camp early and hiked out wet, cold, & happy.

ACtC-3dEporOnwFSzj8BteBGbqqr0lfL5_9Gq8Zh

ACtC-3e2KoU7NKYj4EqqLdbqJYKyqybXTookhgIF

ACtC-3f0-inbi_njctjTEwVsgGFOg65j5Jxn2-3k

ACtC-3d3LgOOv4D_SmgQv7b6lOesW4sNIZLKp-I4

It's a great tent you have there JW! i nearly bought one myself around 10yrs ago when the £ was stil relatively high against the $ but they were still mad expensive in the UK, i ended up buying a similar tent from Easton having always been more than happy with their mtb gear but they'd trimmed every g to their detriment.

Thanks Neal

This was actually its first use—picked it up just this month as a replacement for the 13-year-old Sierra Designs number that got half melted when my car caught on fire on vacation—and so far I'm very happy with it. Besides being a bit narrow for a nominal 2P floor plan, it's got plenty of interior space, with all four walls cutting up pretty much vertically. Having doors on both sides is also really great, even if using the tent solo, since it gives easy access to either vestibule of the fly—and the vestibules are plenty big enough to make up for the narrower width of the main body. Really looking forward to putting it through its paces.

Junior MJF9 and I were doing 50m sprints on the local tennis courts (the council have removed the nets)

This denim kit really is multi-purpose... lockdown lounging, working, training... is there anything it's not fit for?

CSF, Canes, garish Saucony with go-faster stripes and cheap white socks :wink:

20210218 CSF Sprints 1.jpg

Nuts init! I had the exact same conversation with two students last weekend.

Within a short walk of our house there's Rustlings Lawn Tennis club, St Andrews Clay Courts, Bingham Park, & Hallam.. all closed due to Covid and they've taken the nets down so even if you live in the same household you still can't get a game :wacko:

I went on google earth and found these courts belonging to the university which are free to use and they've still got the nets up they're just a little bit too far to walk when you're not guaranteed a game when you get there so the boy and i just ride up there on our bikes with the rackets on our backs

fullsizeoutput_2d96.jpeg

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Obviously, there's a range of situations but a blanket closure does not make sense. There are plenty of less absurd measures to take to reduce risk without going full nuclear.

(Even in this picture, families are standing several feet apart and the place is both aerated and bathed in UV. As far as I know there's not a single documented case of beach infection. Granted, the absence of proof is not the proof of an absence, etc.)