What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

9 hours ago, fre-co said:

Are you taking the frames back to the timber? I wasn’t all that fastidious about that - especially in the moulding and I hate working up ladders, so I was shitting myself all the way through. I’m sure your prep will be much better. I rubbed down and scraped all the flaky shit out then primed, undercoat and 2 coats of f&b.
But I feel like the modern eggshell is not as tough as oil based. 

I know how you feel, at one point last week i was stood on rickety old wooden step ladders perched on the top of my bay window in the pissing down rain trying to scrape the stone lintel above our bedroom window, above my head with nothing to hold onto, i used to be good with heights but i think i'm getting worse with the older i get.. I'm sure your average F&B shopper doesn't do their own prep....good god no!.
I went to B&Q to get some Nitromors, expecting just to paint it on and scrape it off but since the last time i used it the EU have forced them to take the active ingredients (dichloromethane) out of it ..alright we might live longer and heather lives as a consequence  but at what cost? is life really worth living with flaky windows? bring on Bregsit when we can go back to inhaling all the harmful chemicals we like ;)
I called in at our local F&B supplier (The Fine Paint Company) last week @fre-co and you've done exactly what they suggest.. he says that his shop front was painted with F&B 12 years ago with no issues with peel?

fullsizeoutput_2794

...i was going to do the same although my windows do need quite a few bits of the woodwork replacing where it's gone rotten and past idiots have bodged it with filler.. i was considering something called 'Peelaway' to strip the paint from the decorative woodwork but you need to neutralise it then paint with an acid resistant primer afterwards to stop the residue affecting your top coat...and it still looks pretty messy so i might just bag it off.

I used peelaway last year - below is a pic (with Mrs U Just cropped out, pretending to apply it for Instagram posing purposes :rolleyes:). Honestly, it didn’t work, whether I applied it incorrectly I don’t know - but I followed the instructions. Anyway, the paint only peeled away in parts but I was so racked off I just smoothed it over with a sander and painted. Bad move - when inspected up close the new paint job is bumpy and not smooth at all. Looks ok when viewed from the pavement (second photo) and I wasn’t up for removing primer and 2 x gloss, so I’ve left it. The best part of the whole job is the left hand side where I took it back to the timber completely. If I had my time again I’d persevere, put more time into sanding and save money on the chemical shit.

661D10B4-265A-4CB1-9617-36462BFE2CE2.jpeg.921701dc131e7fc72ab9487316d4ebfb.jpeg

A6D3F733-6E62-45FA-A219-5280068F5D56.jpeg.1b7d33cfc56ecef6ec9f734bfca7b386.jpeg

13 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

It's a shame the colours are so damn lovely, because Farrow & Ball makes me fucking cringe!

It's like the Waitrose of the paint world.. the food is lovely but the folks who shop there are just awful..:D

This is way I love going into waitrose, aside from the waitrose basics organic kale and samphire :biggrin:, it's the people! Rich posh old age dears in massive cars they can't drive bouncing of everything in the car park, mixed with rich kids trying to look like poor art students, mixed with young Asians dressed head to toe in  off white or balanciaga! Fascinating.  

@unders @Double 0 Soul lovely glimpses of weathered red brick... given your fancy tastes in paints, begs the question... why not invest in one of them there professional painters to do the job for you... whilst you, of course, maintain oversight of the job whilst sipping a kale-infused smoothie on the patio?  Winner winner free-range-corn-fed-chicken dinner... :D

15 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

@unders @Double 0 Soul lovely glimpses of weathered red brick... given your fancy tastes in paints, begs the question... why not invest in one of them there professional painters to do the job for you... whilst you, of course, maintain oversight of the job whilst sipping a kale-infused smoothie on the patio?  Winner winner free-range-corn-fed-chicken dinner... :D

Where’s the sense of accomplishment in that!?

Don’t lump me in with the Waitrose crowd. I’m more of an M&S ponce :D

15 minutes ago, Geeman said:

This is way I love going into waitrose, aside from the waitrose basics organic kale and samphire :biggrin:, it's the people! Rich posh old age dears in massive cars they can't drive bouncing of everything in the car park, mixed with rich kids trying to look like poor art students, mixed with young Asians dressed head to toe in  off white or balanciaga! Fascinating.  

The one nr us is fucking awful.. it's far too white and it's far too middle-class, atributes i don't mind too much in a white middle-class neighbourhood but the one in Sheff is nestled between the tower blocks at Hanover Tower and Leverton Gardens, residents non of whom can afford to flippin shop there, just as you say Range Rover driving twats from out of town going the wrong way around the carpark...

Just around the corner from Waitrose is a mini-market, Ozmen's International, who's customers reflect the local community perfectly and the food is equally as good :rolleyes:

26 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

If i paid for a professional, i would only be able to afford paint from Wickes :sad:

1 hour ago, unders said:

Where’s the sense of accomplishment in that!?

Don’t lump me in with the Waitrose crowd. I’m more of an M&S ponce :D

Ha ha... but surely every mission critical one-person job needs competent supervision... a kind of director of painting role, imagine the esteem from that

I heard Brum Mums wear them big sunglasses so no one can see them scanning the high street... scanning for a clear run at Greggs.  Their Q8s have blacked out windows so no one discovers their dirty cheese and onion pasty secret :P

14 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I know how you feel, at one point last week i was stood on rickety old wooden step ladders perched on the top of my bay window in the pissing down rain trying to scrape the stone lintel above our bedroom window, above my head with nothing to hold onto, i used to be good with heights but i think i'm getting worse with the older i get.. I'm sure your average F&B shopper doesn't do their own prep....good god no!.
I went to B&Q to get some Nitromors, expecting just to paint it on and scrape it off but since the last time i used it the EU have forced them to take the active ingredients (dichloromethane) out of it ..alright we might live longer and heather lives as a consequence  but at what cost? is life really worth living with flaky windows? bring on Bregsit when we can go back to inhaling all the harmful chemicals we like ;)
I called in at our local F&B supplier (The Fine Paint Company) last week @fre-co and you've done exactly what they suggest.. he says that his shop front was painted with F&B 12 years ago with no issues with peel?

fullsizeoutput_2794

...i was going to do the same although my windows do need quite a few bits of the woodwork replacing where it's gone rotten and past idiots have bodged it with filler.. i was considering something called 'Peelaway' to strip the paint from the decorative woodwork but you need to neutralise it then paint with an acid resistant primer afterwards to stop the residue affecting your top coat...and it still looks pretty messy so i might just bag it off.

When you are done with yours, feel free to come down here and do mine again!

12 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Have you still got that lovely old Kuwahara Hirame road bike @fre-co i remember following your build on LFGSS years ago..

Man I loved that bike.... the dura-ace groupset was beautiful. My hand stitched elk skin bar grips... oh what joy. 

but then it tried to kill me.

I came off on a gravel patch on a dodgy bend at the bottom of a big hill, scraped my knee and bashed myself about a bit and smashed my Rolex. Then a week later the pain in my knee escalated and got so bad I passed out and was admitted to hospital with borderline septicaemia. 17 days on IV antibiotics and being told they might have to amputate if I don’t get better. 

I sold it to a collector because I was too scared to ride it again. I’ll dig out the pictures and upload here if you like. 

now I ride a pretty much original early 90s Rocky Mountain cirrus because my kids are better off-road. 

23DAB8C0-10DB-4ACE-9132-21C90B39A59B.jpeg

687C520B-11FA-4799-9014-205CFD0228B9.jpeg

3629F7B0-4529-47B9-9B95-E7D2E52A1419.jpeg

DDCC10B1-2F70-45BC-9216-EE06EE47CFD6.jpeg

Edited by fre-co

Beauty! don't forget the head badge, it's the best bit.

Holy crap! one leg would certainly curtail your shoe buying, glad you made a full recovery.

I would have taken it off your hands for sure! how much did you get for it? i was watching one for sale (same colour) on ebay last year in Wales for £350 but it was a shadow of your bike, i would probably have spent twice that again bringing it up to your kind of spec.

22 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Weather was nice and since the borders are open again, we decided to go to Switzerland for a small walk. This lovely little town, directly on the Rhine

I think I’ve been there - just north of Winterthur? Lake Constance?

42 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Thanks folks! A lovely area indeed.

Yes it's not too far away from Winterthur. This town is called Stein am Rhein. Lake Constance is where I live and it is not far away from this town.

I couldn’t remember the name :blush2: - I was at the Science Centre in Winterthur and the group were taken as an excursion because the town was so beautiful 

The whole area is fantastic ... and for me just travelling a couple of hours north and/or west takes me into the best wines in the world, although the Swiss make some lovely stuff as well

Edited by Duke Mantee

52 minutes ago, Thanks_M8 said:

U mean freiburg, the ortenau, kraichgau and the alsace @Duke Mantee

I mean the Riesling grape but yes all of those areas produce different styles - I guess another hour would get me all the way to Saarbrücken?

It’s a real treat for me to drink good wines from the Mosel, Pfalz, Nahe etc as well as the Alsace (for something quite different) ... better than denim