What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

That seems lovely, thanks for the idea. I'm used to using the rinds of parmesan to cook, e.g., garbanzo beans; I think by the same token it would be nice to throw in the skin & ends of the guanciale—after all, the cheese and the meat certainly work well together on their own.

I really like the asparagus idea, too, but the season's just ending here. Maybe next year!

On 6/3/2020 at 10:01 PM, julian-wolf said:

I'm still deciding how I'll use it

Look for Bobby Flay's Brussels sprout, potato, shallot, and pancetta dish. It's on the Food Network site. As I'm in Europe the site defaults to the UK version, which doesn't have the recipe, but if you enter those search terms into Google you'll find it on the US site. Just replace the pancetta with giancale. It's one of my favorite dishes...

Edited by JDelage

Here you go Martin.. ive drawn you a diagram :D

fullsizeoutput_274a

..the radius of the wheel comes from the center of the hub but if you follow the angle at the center of the headtube where i dropped the spacer the imagined intersection point would be on a different center so the mudguard wouldn't be possitioned over the wheel.. Doh!

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Those guards are beauts, and the tan sidewalls on the new tyres are really icing on the cake. I've thought about sourcing out a pair like that for my old Univega, but in the end I think it'd mean paying an extra $10 / tube for reduced traction & resilience, all in the name of aesthetics, which is a hard sell. I think Velo Orange is the company I'd be most likely to go with—any experience with them, by any chance? edit: Actually, looking back at their site now, I'm not even sure if they make the sizes I'd need…so much for that

Why not just grind your spacer down at an angle & put in a little wedge between the washer and the bolt head?

Edited by julian-wolf

Thanks Mike

6 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Those guards are beauts, and the tan sidewalls on the new tyres are really icing on the cake. I've thought about sourcing out a pair like that for my old Univega, but in the end I think it'd mean paying an extra $10 / tube for reduced traction & resilience, all in the name of aesthetics, which is a hard sell. I think Velo Orange is the company I'd be most likely to go with—any experience with them, by any chance? edit: Actually, looking back at their site now, I'm not even sure if they make the sizes I'd need…so much for that

Why not just grind your spacer down at an angle & put in a little wedge between the washer and the bolt head?

Ive got a little VO stem cap, it's a lovely little thing... i think Velo-Orange would be a great choice you have a bit more scope if you go for aluminum, i wanted black so my choice was narrowed down to the VO Zeppelin's or the Honjo Turtle, i went for the Honjo because they were deeper so pulling out the rim out would have a greater effect on the outside radius.

P1020827

I like your thinking @julian-wolf, i had the same idea.. the spacer was long enough to cut 5mm off the end and make it into a wedge shaped washer

P1020823
...sadly i had already parted it off down to length but i tried putting an angle on the end to compensate (nowt to lose) put the mudguard back on, nipped it up put the wheel on..still not quite right...this went on for quite some time, trial and error, the angle, being on the end of an 11mm surface.. even micro adjustments of 0.1° were having significant effects on the mudguard position...eventually i got it close enough so before i spent time making an angled washer i trialed it with a rubber washer which i trimmed down with a craft knife but when i nipped it up tight it kept pulling the mudguard to one side (imagine looking down at the wheel from your bars) it was anticlockwise to the wheel so with nothing to lock the spacer in position i ended up tapping a thread into it and securing with a bolt through the brake mounts, which when nipped up tight started to angle the mudguard again...at which point i just fucked it off, i want mudguards which i can easily bolt on/off/adjust without all this fanying around. Oh well!

• 2 weeks later...

In other news...

Part 2 of my North Yorkshire day out escaping the house for a bit of fresh country air

A gem of a little waterfall called Scaleber Force hidden away in the woods - could have sat there all day listening to the relaxing sounds of water on rock

Completely staged triple denim pic staring into the falls

Then on to Skipton because it had the nearest chippy on the map.. though very nice setting for dinner by the canal 

# Scaleber Force 1.jpg

# Scaleber Force 2.jpg

# Scaleber Force 3.jpg

# Skipton 1.jpg

# Skipton 2.jpg

# Skipton 3.jpg

Edited by MJF9

Back in the museum today to reacquaint myself with the photographs I have been writing about for the past six months... I'll be organizing a show around them set to open in January, although it seems that the exhibition will have to live online (so maybe you all can experience it). These platinum and carbon prints were made by a resident of Jersey City at the turn of the twentieth century. Most of them are toned with a pigment and mounted on decorative boards. In these works, atmosphere and painterliness are the predominate aesthetic concerns, and my phone photographs do not do them justice. Truly one of a kind objects in the pictorialist tradition.

20200702_10073020200702_10041520200702_09434320200702_100526

20200702_095458

Edited by Suitedupmon

Visited Piece Hall today... quite an impressive building, built in 1779 as a fully enclosed trading venue for 'pieces' of cloth (phone pic doesn't do it any justice).  Has been restored for shopping, food events, concerts and whatnot (when allowed)

Piece Hall 2.jpg

Edited by MJF9

Not on a par with Arthur’s cabin build and 00’s souped up shed, but the father-in-law and I stretched our flat pack skills to the limit putting up this bad boy. 

Timed to perfection just as outdoor play areas opened in England this week :blink:

B7CDC801-AC30-4111-A593-6F4E544C9867.thumb.jpeg.0850d5867d4768093b939253b07a4bf0.jpeg

15F25203-315C-4982-8833-C6D8D392896E.thumb.jpeg.54301196e4e09879c902267002bd082b.jpeg

Super rep point to the first of you that spotted the hidden octopus!

Edited by unders

2 hours ago, unders said:

Not on a par with Arthur’s cabin build and 00’s souped up shed

Speaking of which.. ckeck out how much that clematis has grown in the last few weeks

fullsizeoutput_2793

This week my Junky 46's have been removing 100's of years worth of paint from my stonework before i start restoring my sash windows

fullsizeoutput_2792

Tune in..in a few weeks time for some middle-class cosplay when my Farrow & Ball order arrives :blush2:

9 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Loved my Farrow & Ball paint - it made me a better man

It's a shame the colours are so damn lovely, because Farrow & Ball makes me fucking cringe!

It's like the Waitrose of the paint world.. the food is lovely but the folks who shop there are just awful..:D

Are you taking the frames back to the timber? I wasn’t all that fastidious about that - especially in the moulding and I hate working up ladders, so I was shitting myself all the way through. I’m sure your prep will be much better. I rubbed down and scraped all the flaky shit out then primed, undercoat and 2 coats of f&b.
But I feel like the modern eggshell is not as tough as oil based.