What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

Chiming in on the coffee chat...

Bought myself a Khalita Wave to add to my collection of home coffee Kit (see what I did there)

What a fine looking piece of Japanese engineering... and makes a good cup too once you get the grind right

The brew is a natural Ugandan from Horsham Coffee who roast some pretty decent coffee

IMG-20200526-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20200526-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20200526-WA0004.jpg

Cheers Kit

Do you mean Bond Street coffee? I’ve sipped a few espressos sitting on that little bench outside. Great spot to watch the world go by.

There are a few good roasters down your way (ish) - Craft House is a favourite and Small Batch, though not sure if their growth rate has affected quality as haven’t bought from them in a while.

Yep, Bond Street Coffee – about as Brighton a spot as it gets.

Small Batch kind of led the charge with quality coffee down here, but I don't think it's managed to keep it all up with the big expansion it went through. In fact, I think it had to shut down a branch or two (pre-virus). Might be mistaken on that though.

Red Roaster in Kemptown also pretty good – and have in fact been going much longer than any of the competitors. Best café all round is Twin Pines, hands down - magical little hidden gem. One to bear in mind for that late British summer holiday that we're all being promised/threatened with.

5 hours ago, MJF9 said:

There are a few good roasters down your way (ish) - Craft House is a favourite and Small Batch, though not sure if their growth rate has affected quality as haven’t bought from them in a while.

I like coffee but I just can’t see the word roaster in that context :laugh2:

Anyway, I much prefer Central/South American coffee - I generally find African coffees too light and fruity

Ha ha... that got me thinking... important to distinguish it from 'roasting', the alleged popular passtime of top flight footballers in not so distant years 

Back to coffees... I like a variety so tend to do a bit of globe trotting - there is some awesome stuff out there these days

Edited by MJF9

We spent the weekend at our summer cottage. 

Started the day with breakfast down by the lake

hMq9dsN.jpg

Then we scraped the old paint from the window frames and did the first coat of fresh paint

79x5jCD.jpg

ncn8dnA.jpg

After work and sauna relaxing with a well deserved beer.

oQKWGo0.jpg

Thanks @lance, we try to make the best of it in the summer as we have no electricity nor running water at the cottage so not really convenient in the winter. Nowadays I live 3 hour drive from the cottage so it is getting harder and harder to make time for it.

just picked this massive cedar lemon from the tree, the last one for this year. the zest makes for a fantastic garnish for gin and tonics, much better than lemon or lime

102048966_20200602lemon.thumb.jpg.d52ce8d08cc82cb45006ad4189250c52.jpg

Scored some good guanciale from a long-time customer at the market, yesterday, and tried my hand at carbonara

No photos of the final product but I'd say it went pretty well for a first go

64479634_2020-06-0220_39_08.thumb.jpg.988e99a406f9d670581f691651748481.jpg

29 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Scored some good guanciale from a long-time customer at the market, yesterday, and tried my hand at carbonara

No photos of the final product but I'd say it went pretty well for a first go

64479634_2020-06-0220_39_08.thumb.jpg.988e99a406f9d670581f691651748481.jpg

I cooked down some guanciale to add even more flavour to my Fregula e salsiccia - lovely stuff

24CABF6E-D623-46D7-A31D-A141BA7AB43D.jpeg

^ That looks great

I have about 300g left, and I'm still deciding how I'll use it—I'm thinking some will go into collard greens, but would be happy to see any and all suggestions

Really don't have much experience with cured meats, beyond just eating them plain…I'm pretty good at that bit

You can use it in a number of different ways, it's amazing with many pasta recipes. Guancialethebest should be my new handle. Try to look out for gricia and amatriciana. It's amazing with asparagus and pecorino as well. Too sleepy to actually write recipes here now sorry but it's one of the greatest ingredients for pasta. :D

U could use the dried up endpieces and so on for cooking beans/beanstew or cook 'em in sauces and stew, gives a lot of taste. Also rendering it out after cutting in pieces, toasting sourdough bread in the fat and crumbling some spring onions, salt, pepper and the crumbly meat residue on top (it's called “grieben“ in germany, basically the meat left after all the fat is rendered out.