What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

There's a bank holiday here today so the extended weekend is being spent building a small extension to our beach house. I'm neither a framer or a carpenter so don't tease :D

This trees is lovely

IMG_20200508_210016.jpg

Lots of wood

IMG_20200508_205012.thumb.jpg.2c0fc80617483d82f966d8a0f9e284c1.jpg

IMG_20200508_204959.jpg

Lots of wood... again

IMG_20200508_204947.jpg

Playing laser games.

IMG_20200508_204934.thumb.jpg.2b51616a52c5c423caa53aaff2268f90.jpg

IMG_20200508_205012.jpg

Edited by Ar_thor

Oh well... been building for 5 months (and years before that) without any injuries - today my finger made friends with the table saw so won't be doing much for the next couple of weeks. My Fullcounts will have to make do with some sofa fades.

Good thing is, it could have been MUCH worse.

IMG_20200510_163447.jpg

My sympathies @Ar_thor i did something equally as stoopid a few years ago resulting in a partial amputation of my right index finger because the bone was shattered and exposed.. luckily Sheffield has some of the best orthopedic surgeons in the country due to it's history of finger injuries from climbing in the nearby Peak District and it's industrial past so they managed to do a fantastic job of rebuilding my finger..albeit half an inch shorter than it was before.

IMG_9410

I had my left ring finger tip ripped almost clean off playing (American) football over ten years ago, luckily they were able to reattach it.
Best of luck recovering, it's a pain in the ass. Especially when you're left handed!

Made it up into the mountains this week for the season's first real hike—still snowy, but plenty warm during the days!

ACtC-3eZvTOBTlHqHc4ieR6fZAxkQI66I7Rvm58x

No trails to be seen, yet, but we did run into a few sign posts confirming we were about where we expected to be…

ACtC-3eR9BAaOvRepshBBkpN7pPMNzi_Hwl-TNt0

Ended up at Emigrant Lake by the end of the second day—or what will be Emigrant Lake in another few weeks

ACtC-3cZCD1LZqza_kwSNAjlAdoprxBEMGeDHs-n

Managed to find a patch of dry ground big enough to pitch camp, and grilled some fresh green onions 'til sweet to have for dessert

ACtC-3fAMCmT9lxnw_u-5FtSGYp1SwMpMWYh9lO7

ACtC-3dANKpEz9rPih1ASXvUwSDIyoQwLqZxgmQO

Hiked out on Friday through the back side of a ski resort, taking advantage of the packed groomed trails left over from ski season to make it up to a ridge running parallel to our path in, which afforded us some much lusted-after dry ground to walk on for the last few miles

ACtC-3cWZckqt0D8oa-AqrmiCMIogi8ZM3n6uWES

ACtC-3cPsbIF1BuHrL1s_JSifvvxVE6RBmVZE71E

ACtC-3cWkehBbJ3dos5gSJTNp7IxzXxfSrGG9MUV

feat. Bronson hat, Tori Richards & Gustin shirts, Sassafras shorts, Roy jeans, La Sportiva boots, & evening Birkenstocks

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

My sympathies @Ar_thor i did something equally as stoopid a few years ago resulting in a partial amputation of my right index finger because the bone was shattered and exposed.. luckily Sheffield has some of the best orthopedic surgeons in the country due to it's history of finger injuries from climbing in the nearby Peak District and it's industrial past so they managed to do a fantastic job of rebuilding my finger..albeit half an inch shorter than it was before.

IMG_9410

Yeah, it's incredibly stupid - especially since I'd taken the blade guard off. Keep the blade guard on when sawing kids!

Luckily it was just flesh wound in my case. Took a good chunk off but didn't touch the bone and the nerves seem alright. The finger will probably get a strange shape but I can live with that. As mentioned earlier I got incredibly lucky all things considered. I got a pretty good scare though and probably learned my lesson. The good thing is that experiences like this gives food for thought and acts as a reminder of all the good things in life.

Very impressive rebuild of the finger, if you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have noticed the difference in length. Might as well be a case of slightly different hand shapes

1 hour ago, Broark said:

I had my left ring finger tip ripped almost clean off playing (American) football over ten years ago, luckily they were able to reattach it.
Best of luck recovering, it's a pain in the ass. Especially when you're left handed!

Again, it's extremely impressive what medical science can achieve these days. Luckily I'm right handed so I'll be able to cope just fine but it's still a hassle to do ordinary things that requires two hands like tie your shoe laces or button your jeans.

Neat—I've never spent time in the back country over there, but from what I've seen on day trips it seems like it must be beautiful. When you make it out, you should take some photos to share! Would be interested to get a view of what it's like.

• 2 weeks later...

Only thing ive done today is make some trellis for my shed out of a couple of bits o' 1/4ply... nailed 2 strips together, drilled some holes through them and shaped the top.

IMG_9476

Im training this clematis to climb up the handrail and over the shed

IMG_9476

..bent a couple of coppice branches while they were still green to span the gap

IMG_9476

..meanwhile the cat brought me a nest followed by 3 recently hatched chicks

IMG_9476

IMG_9476

^ The main thing I'm taking away from that post is how nice the oxidation is around the nails on your shed door—it's great to see how far it bleeds down through the grain below each one, especially compared to how little it bleeds on the rest of the shed where the grain's horizontal

Down with paint, down with shingles: raw wood's just as special as raw denim

I like it too, when we first moved in, the front of the shed was really sun bleached, it gets the sun from dawn till 4pm, i didn't want to alter the way it looks but i did want to protect it from the elements somewhat so i painted it with this oil...

IMG_9477

.. the sides of the shed which are in the shade still look brand new so i thought i would leave them be.

Social distancing in a different place today... through the pine trees to the beach on the north west coast with the crew

One of our favourite places for a simple day out - jumping off the sand dunes, football on the beach, strolls in the fresh sea air, picnics and what not... 

Formby 1.jpg

Formby 2.jpg

Formby 3.jpg

Formby 4.jpg

Formby 5.jpg

Formby 7.jpg

Formby 9.jpg

Formby 10.jpg

Edited by MJF9