What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

11 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Just use public transport instead, it’s much greener B)

If we had better public transportation systems here I totally would.
When we lived in Singapore we never owned a car. I never missed having a car because they public transportation is so good.
Texas just doesn't care about people without cars.

1 hour ago, Broark said:

Not sure if the connotation carries over as strongly in the US, I'd say more people associate BMW drivers as wankers but I could be wrong. ^_^

Them’s fightin words, Tex, especially from a Porsche owner! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Drove over to Montana this past summer and spent a while hiking

Generally only wore jeans around camp but we did one summit pretty early in the morning when I figure I was probably still in my Cane's, so it's relevant?

That's me at the top

1Xz_u8C-osPRBtGslkxT2o-Am-M5rVBM6UINeu8_

I've skirting the edges of Glacier a couple of times, but never hiked into it (my previous life had a dog involved, and dogs aren't allowed in the park). It truly is special and stunning. The world should be grateful that places like this are protected. @julian-wolf Did you get to the Polebridge Mercantile and Bakery? (Thought I had some pics, but it seems they're gone into the aether...) 

On 2/5/2020 at 7:24 AM, mpukas said:

I've skirting the edges of Glacier a couple of times, but never hiked into it (my previous life had a dog involved, and dogs aren't allowed in the park). It truly is special and stunning. The world should be grateful that places like this are protected. @julian-wolf Did you get to the Polebridge Mercantile and Bakery? (Thought I had some pics, but it seems they're gone into the aether...) 

When I read this I figured I'd be responding with something like "I don't think we got to much of anywhere that would've had a website", but actually yeah! Didn't stop in—I don't think any of us had ever heard of it—but we drove by there on our ways in and out just around a half hour out from the trailhead. Crazy that you should bring up that place in particular—in an area with so many mercantile-type places I'd think the chance of any overlap would be real small. Honestly broke out laughing when I saw the photos on the website and actually recognized it.

No guarantee that I'll be back by that part of the park any time soon, but is it worth a stop? What've they got going for them?

@julian-wolf

I've spent a fair amount of time out there.

It's just a mercantile and bakery.  Basically feeds visitors and park employees who are headed to Bowman or Kintla lake.  So stop in if you are headed into those spots.  I did probably my favorite backpacking going from "The loop" off the going-to-the-sun road and hiking out of Kintla.  Some totally spectacular campsites and hiking.  Particularly around the "Hole-in-the-wall" campsite/area.

Some of the employees live right there in polebridge or next to the mercantile...i think the owners live there or something.  I went to the "Polebridge Formal" with some of the park employees at the end of the season.  Drank a lot and camped, good times.  

+1 to this ^

Was in Whitefish for a few days. Did a driving loop and stopped to check it out. Not worth going too far out of your way for, but if you're close by def worth it. Very good baked goods for being so far out in now where. Has some tourist crap that gives me hives, but not like the other gift shops at the other entrances to the park. Been there for a long time, under different ownership over the years, has some real history. 

There was also a guy a few miles south that had set up a BBQ joint in a small lodge. It was pretty good, again for being so isolated. 

Was visiting Manchester this week so dropped into The Refuge to see the British Culture Archives photographic exhibition.

The Refuge is a grand old spacious building - bar, hotel and restaurant all rolled into one. A decent bite to eat if you’re ever in the city. 

Only took a few pics that took my fancy but thought I’d share.

Our party on clubbing and raving convo last week relates - cue big smiley :D

Is that you @Maynard Friedman at the Haçienda far right??

Tomahawk, Grifter or Chopper anyone?

Anyone make it to Spike Island to see the Stone Roses in May 1990? 

A little trip back in time... worth a visit...

342B7BE8-7B96-4DFB-A041-52A429CB2B4A.jpeg

704EAE33-49D4-49BF-815F-0B459B913F5F.jpeg

5CAAE8A4-0F48-474B-A706-F263503A20A9.jpeg

4D8CFC75-866E-4FC0-BE76-E0E9BDB7FEDC.jpeg

37E31233-82FE-40AA-9333-5ED610B44418.jpeg

1B0E68D6-325D-4196-83E1-A3E522249D1C.jpeg

I think they are all me, even the one on the Chopper. Don’t forget the Chipper, Striker and Boxer though, gotta complete that Raleigh collection!

The Refuge is truly a handsome building - a tribute to red brick Victoriana on the grandest scale. 

7 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I think they are all me, even the one on the Chopper. Don’t forget the Chipper, Striker and Boxer though, gotta complete that Raleigh collection!

..or the Budgie, i had a baby-blue one (my first bike) the crank was so low you couldn't turn a right hand bend with right foot down or the pedal hit the floor, que spectacular crash!

I never made it to Spike Island but i was never really into Stone Roses, Mondays, Inspiral Carpets (moo) and such, my local record stores were FON/ Warp and i used to get the cheap train over to Manchester on a Saturday afternoon (£6.40 return) to buy vinyl from Eastern Bloc (to all of those who've emailed me over the years, you will notice my email address homage)

My teenage years were bleepier :) there's an article here on RA which discusses the vibe in the city at the time.. https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/2349

...also my sis 'in law was 'dating' (another awful Americanism) Winnie so via my then girlfriend (now wife) had tapes into next week B)