What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

Here comes a photo dump!

Festival of Lights/First Friday's of downtown Greensboro 

Also, the Wrangler Pop-Up Shop is also today through the weekend.

Yes.  That is a cafe/spa dedicated to cats called the Crooked Tail.  No, I didn't go in (allergic).  I'm a dog lover though!

The Wrangler pop up was nice.  Mix between Cone Denim, vintage, and unique.

First Fridays are the first Friday of every month when all the shops on Elm St. And Eugene open later to the public.

Hopefully, this won't be my last First Friday in Greensboro as I will be moving shortly to Charlotte, NC.

IMG_1938.JPG

IMG_1940.JPG

IMG_1941.JPG

IMG_1942.JPG

IMG_1943.JPG

IMG_1944.JPG

IMG_1945.JPG

IMG_1946.JPG

IMG_1947.JPG

IMG_1948.JPG

IMG_1949.JPG

IMG_1950.JPG

IMG_1951.JPG

IMG_1952.JPG

IMG_1953.JPG

IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1963.JPG

IMG_1964.JPG

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1966.JPG

IMG_1967.JPG

IMG_1968.JPG

IMG_1969.JPG

Edited by mlwdp

Thanks for sharing mlwdp, that looks like a good evening.

Is that your bulldog? Also, what did you think of the Wrangler pop-up? I think the new White Oak Cone denim ones (the expensive ones!) all looked a bit slim online.

Not my bulldog but apparently he was a "celeb" of the festival due to the attention he was getting from everybody there!

Wrangler Pop-Up was nice but too crowded as it was running during the street festival.  Very hard to have good convos with the staff due to the crowd coming in.  I probably should have went in on Saturday since it was open for two days.  I'm sure Wrangler made a lot of money though due to the crowds coming in from the festivities.  Marketing geniuses!

The White Oak Denim they had on display was really nice.  The staff there were wearing most of it.  A Hemming station and changing rooms were in the back too.  The vintage Made in USA collection there was a goldmine so kudos to anybody who was lucky enough to buy from it.  The prices overall in the store were reasonable such as the White Oak jacket I posted was $275.

Funny thing about this was that I had no idea Wrangler was doing this pop-up until I saw Antlers and Antiques posting it on their instagram on the same day.  I'm hoping my shop will carry their line.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Flying solo today as the wife's watching the darts on the sofa! 

So the obvious choice for me is to head to the local find a cosy corner and try a few drams, read the papers and surf the net.20180106_141620.thumb.jpg.e26254df98e3e1eceda067bca3a99fe6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sequel to Wrangler/Hudson's Hill 

So today I drove from Charlotte to Greensboro (don't judge me, visiting friends) for the hemming of my Trophy 1605BK and met Evan, owner of Hudson Hill.  His singer is still at Wrangler so I had my denim chain stitched hemmed there.  Got a chance to talk the owner of Hudson's about the projects he has going on with Wrangler, some exciting new projects regarding Wrangler and White Oak Denim, which unfortunately I swore I wouldn't spill on here out of respect.  However, expect some interesting items from Wrangler this summer and next year.  We also talked about White Oak Plant closing and Huston Denim.  

Anyway, the denim turned out great!  The detail is amazing and I'll post some tidbits that we found out while hemming the denim in the Unknown Denim Thread.  Felt pretty cool to get my denim chain stitched here instead of Hudson's.  The Wrangler store is still in Greensboro, open so drop by!

posting more in a min 

IMG_2398.JPG

IMG_2399.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

IMG_2410.JPG

IMG_2411.JPG

IMG_2412.JPG

IMG_2413.JPG

IMG_2415.JPG

IMG_2416.JPG

Edited by mlwdp

Sequel to Wrangler/Hudson's Hill 

FYI Proxmity Mills has some awesome projects coming up that the owner of Hudson's Hill informed he's been working!

The two White Oak Wrangler Denim you see are

Left side- Left Hand Twill-11oz

Right Side-Right Hand Twill-11oz skinny

the bad news that the Left Hand twill is only 70 pairs produced, which unfortunately there are 4 pairs left remaining, currently at the Wrangle store.  One pair is size 30, the other three pairs are size 38.  Not online so you'll have to shoot a email or call.

IMG_2407.JPG

IMG_2392.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

IMG_2394.JPG

IMG_2395.JPG

IMG_2392.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

IMG_2394.JPG

IMG_2395.JPG

IMG_2396.JPG

IMG_2411.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2400.JPG

Edited by mlwdp

• 2 weeks later...

How to keep two kids and one big kid amused in nothern England in winter when it's close to freezing outside??

Inspired by a book on old British steam railways, last week's answer was a trip to the Bolton Abbey to Embasy steam railway. Open commercially from 1888 to 1965, it was part of the steam train revolution that changed Britain in many ways, not least in opening up the country to the masses and prompting the rise of seaside resorts in the last century (many now sadly in decline). Nowadays, the line is run by steam train enthusiasts and a decent heritage day out.

Even a bit of (erm) 1st class blue velvet clad carriages with the private sliding doors, obligatory condensation and that warning sign that always makes me think of Vivienne in The Young Ones (UK comedy gold from the 80s)... found here... https://youtu.be/tQslnmcHOeM...

Shame about the poor quality photos but hopefully you get the picture...

+ Outstanding Co / RMC / Roy / 1sr Pat RN / Roy / RW...

IMG-20180204-WA0004-1.jpg

2018-02-11 18.42.17.jpg

IMG-20180204-WA0025-1.jpg

IMG-20180204-WA0050.jpg

IMG-20180204-WA0056.jpg

IMG-20180204-WA0030.jpg

2018-02-11 19.29.56.jpg

Weekend trip down near Houston to visit my girlfriend's brother for his birthday.
Went to a brewery and had some good beer.
LLlY9J0.jpg
Made friends with the brewery cat named Grady.
uKj3AtD.jpg
Our dog Oliver asserting her dominance over her friend Bella.
tYyWl9V.jpg
Watched some cardinals in the backyard.
tGnWioC.jpg
M0TKKMc.jpg
Stopped at a rest stop on the way back to Austin. Tried my hardest not to fall in the water and succeeded.
Ux6zmxM.jpg
5DhYNpF.jpg
9iKbCvp.jpg
NqjS8A5.jpg
cUMLGAg.jpg
XnbDTbD.jpg
8RNR2x9.jpg
Nap time.
oTSURtx.jpg

• 1 month later...

2 RMC jackets a shirt and a jumper. A popover shirt and jeans from Fullcount. Some tops from loopwheeler, warehouse,  Japan blue and SDA.

Been unlucky with my sizes being in stock so couldn't get a few things that were top of my list. 

Hardly a charming photo, but my girlfriend kindly arranged my jeans into this nice little leaning tower yesterday. From top to bottom: Roy Big Bro 2, Warehouse 900, Samurai S511NBK, Flat Head 2001, Samurai S710XX, Strike Gold 1109, Oni x Naked & Famous Weird Guy, APC Petit Standard. All that's missing are my Stevenson's, which are currently with me as I continue to procrastinate on my schoolwork...

IMG_20180408_151318JEAN STACK.jpg

Last weekend, as I now live in Charlotte and no longer in Greensboro, I went to the annual Congregation Motorcycle and roadster show.  Took a couple pics of some bikes and roadsters.  All of wore was pretty much a white Hanes tshirt, my Trophy 1605bk, and my Whites nothing really special.  Came out to support a shop owner from Winston Salem who had a booth.  Saw a few 1%ers, some local and out of state shops, a few MCs, and some helmet brands like Biltwell, and clothing brands like Iron and Resin.  Too many booths and people to count other than catching up with a few! A lot of motorcycles and roadsters were at the show.

I saw a Japanese writer for one of the Japanese motorcycle magazines taking photos and interviews while I was there.  As what is popular in their motorcycle culture, he was wearing those "striped old timey prisoner pants" that you normally see them wearing while on their cycles.  Didn't take a pic of that though.

photo dump!

IMG_2732.JPG

IMG_2731.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2726.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2733.JPG

IMG_2734.JPG

IMG_2735.JPG

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG

IMG_2738.JPG

IMG_2739.JPG

IMG_2740.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

IMG_2742.JPG

IMG_2743.JPG

IMG_2744.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

IMG_2747.JPG

IMG_2749.JPG

IMG_2750.JPG

Edited by mlwdp

so, less where did jeans go today

more where did my jeans go to get more jeans

in boncoura thread, some time back @Maynard Friedman and @Niro speculate on peckham's [in london, uk] & gentrification

going to peckham (situated in my own backyard) to get hands on my recently purchased goods thought I would answer some...

peckham as new shoreditch? yes. no. maybe. perhaps more hackney / dalston junction... [but certainly bussey building has truman brewery potential]

the area is a funny place w. extremes in close proximity: before peckham rye is the first attempt in gentrification in mid 90s: bellenden road - be-decked by anthony gormley designed street architecture: the dildonic design helping the local slang renaming of it as 'bell-end road'...

o6czpKhl.jpg

0SYl3Pfl.jpg

on the road leading to peckham rye (ending in busy building) one end has vintage cars down driveways, a porsche, audi and jaguar parked all in a line on road; yet other end of same road is all meat market and nail bars moving onto the main road which is populated pretty keenly w. the modern ruins of municipal disinvestment...

ugnyph9l.jpg

FgwE99Al.jpg

QT2U8f0l.jpg

xklKO0Nl.jpg

looking at street iconography: lurking lumbersexual iconography is found next to a local nursery and its crazed window collage - but most of the 'rye' [main street] remains local trading and the odd chain looking glaringly out of place...

PVyiuJGl.jpg

PTSrnZyl.jpg

7LGa9TIl.jpg

XNRa9dCl.jpg

the visible signs of the contrasting conditions is in a row of four properties all next to each other: a local legal service with immigration services as a speciality next to foxton's estate agents [famed for their raising of realty prices] next to an art gallery next to an empty shop haunted by dis-used sewing machines...

eCYU6HFl.jpg

2UX4kSel.jpg

ckYul62l.jpg

NM7LGt5l.jpg

then a survey of street stickers as street portrait...

sGETRVql.jpg

7ev10K5l.jpg

E8SzFfwl.jpg

PK0vGmYl.jpg

8fGp0ril.jpg

but this all pales in comparison to southwark council's [peckham is within the borough of southwark...] compulsory purchase orders and relocation of residents of social housing in now demolished and to be demolished social housing nearer into the centre of the city [elephant and castle and the walworth road]

a useful link to current practice and wider reading on the topic posted by those in the midst of that situation...

https://southwarknotes.wordpress.com

https://southwarknotes.wordpress.com/art-and-regeneration/writing-on-art-and-gentrification/

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

I was in Peckham couple weeks back, and like you I found the extremes amusing. Walking down the high street of Rye Lane is what I knew/expect of inner city london, and then turning into Blenheim Grove (road with Peckham Rye station I think) is like stepping into another world almost. Going from chicken shops, betting shops, grocers, fishmongers, and small afro carribean shops to craft beer brewery, sour dough bakery, upmarket burger place, and trendy bars from one road to the next was just unreal.

The first glimpse into the future of Peckham