video games ruined my life

DüM

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Added fallout 4 on my steam account a couple hours ago, excited to play as I never really got into 3. Casual gaming thoughts, no man's sky is going to be spore 2. Lots of potential but essentially an empty shell. Firewatch will be decent but nothing more than a vanishing of ethan carter type game. 

You were pretty dead on lol

I'm only on my 4th system and haven't touched it in a few weeks. I could write a book on my thoughts about it and may do so next time I'm on desktop.

Lately: Battlefield 1 beta, Overwatch, lots of desire to finally finish Dark Souls II, Bloodborne and Doom. Battlefield is making me want Battlefront now that the price has dropped.

Don't need to work for the next two weeks, so I'm playing Symphony of the Night and Thief 1/2. Current gen and the tail end of last gen were mostly crap to be honest and I didn't enjoy any of the AAA releases in the last ~5 years. But these games are reminding me of how great games can be.

I feel like current gen games are either super casual cinematic experience type trash or Hardcore Gamer Dark Souls type stuff and I don't really get along with either of those extremes. I just like a good single player game with a normal difficulty curve, interesting gameplay mechanics, and good narrative/art/world building.

A few games I've played and enjoyed, that I'd say is closer to what you want than either of the two kinds you dislike:

- Dying Light. Had a blast playing this tbh and got a good +40 hours out of it

- Tomb Raider & Rise of the Tomb Raider. Obviously similar to Uncharted, which might fall into that first description of games you don't like, but I feel like they're slightly less on the cinematic side and more about gameplay.

- Styx. Haven't gotten very far, but if you like sneaking around you'll probably enjoy this.

- Obduction. Definitely casual and cinematic, but done by the same guys who did Myst so if you're into that you'll like this as well.

• 1 month later...

Is it worth getting a controller to play dark souls on my pc? I've heard using keyboard+mouse leaves a lot to be desired

Got about 700 hours in souls games on PC and controller is the only way to play, to be honest. Keyboard controls are just weird and I think I remember there being some input lag too. Lots of other cool games to use the controller with too. Rocket League, Binding of Isaac series, Salt and Sanctuary, Mark of the Ninja just to name some that I have.

Make sure to get the Xbox One controller. Much improved over the 360 version.

Playing nothing but ranked Rocket League lately. Still can't climb out of prospect elite. feelsbadman.

Edited by Rob060

• 2 weeks later...

I been playin some Civ 6 but my computer is a junker and I prolly will upgrade on Black Friday

Civ is the type of game I'll play once on easy mode just so I can steam roll the AI players with like tanks vs their horses or some shit

Also new Dark Souls 3 DLC but it looks lackluster and seems like it draws heavily from previous games ...

Make sure to get the Xbox One controller. Much improved over the 360 version.

Thanks for the advice, picked up one of the new Xbox One controllers and it feels great. Enjoying the movement and controls so far for DS1

Thanks for the advice, picked up one of the new Xbox One controllers and it feels great. Enjoying the movement and controls so far for DS1

yea, everything feels higher quality with the one controller. especially the d-pad, which was pretty terrible on the 360.

I still haven't finished DS1. Think I got to sen's castle, then jumped into DS2, since I got them at the same time. The port job for DS2 is so much better and I was tired of lagging so unnecessarily bad from the hack job they did with DS1 that I never went back.

Edited by Rob060

• 2 weeks later...

tbh i bought titanfall 2 to support the devs since the battlefield launch kinda smothered it. That being said I feel like titanfall 2 is just another generic shooter- the only redeemable quality is the multiplayer is fast and frantic, however battlefield just seems more epic. No doubt both are worth full price, the amount of entertainment you get is more than worth the cost of admission. 

Enjoying the new Final Fantasy game quite a bit, not very reminiscent of other games in the series but still has some of the same charm.

Story is a little slow in development, played about 9 hours so far and still just scratching the tip of the iceberg.

The exploration mechanics in FFXV are really nice, the pacing that they introduce with having to refill the gas on your car really makes sense.

When I read about it before buying the game I thought it sounded tedious, but it really helps you pace things out and decide on what quests you're going to tackle next.

I can see myself already losing so many hours / days to this game...it's dangerous.

The exploration mechanics in FFXV are really nice, the pacing that they introduce with having to refill the gas on your car really makes sense.

When I read about it before buying the game I thought it sounded tedious, but it really helps you pace things out and decide on what quests you're going to tackle next.

I can see myself already losing so many hours / days to this game...it's dangerous.

Protagonist character looks like visual k fairy pufter

Enjoying the new Final Fantasy game quite a bit, not very reminiscent of other games in the series but still has some of the same charm.

Story is a little slow in development, played about 9 hours so far and still just scratching the tip of the iceberg.

Pro- chara look ghey

I built a gaming PC in July and it's pretty much just an Overwatch machine. I love the PC, but I've only put in like 60 hours into Overwatch so I guess I don't play video games nearly as much as I thought I did. Picked up FFXV though, pretty excited to get into a JRPG since that was basically my entire childhood.