video games ruined my life

DüM

Your arguments are so fucking broken its ridiculous. Videogames, like any other vice if overused, can be counterproductive. Who's to say people cannot learn about culture, fantasy, grow their imagination, learn, or create based off of playing video games?  There's diminishing returns for people who play video games everyday, but same can be said for those who compulsively watch TV, workout, party, etc etc. It's about finding a balance- life is too short and nobody is truly a workhorse 24/7. TV also has created industry, defined culture, provoked conversation, driven innovation technologically- I don't understand how you are missing that completely. 

Some game systems take nearly as much power unused as when powered on. Now take the total power used in the USA for example and think about how much coal is burned for you to play. How many Virginia mountain tops have been leveled? How much mining slurry has hit the watershed as a result? Domestic gamers could power San Diego for an entire year as of 2008. Probably closer to LA now. 

Like I said before I understand your angle but it can be applied to almost anything. Want coffee? Probably cultivated by underpaid workers. Want meat? Enjoy the side effects it creates. Unfortunately as humans this is the impact we have on our environment, while we can improve it providing for billions of people it is inevitable that resources will be drained, etc

Hey there's a gaming thread.

Finally got The Talos Principle yesterday since it was on massive sale on Steam, along with Dying Light, Dishonored, Portal 2 and Shadowrun:Dragonfall (Really enjoyed returns), so I should be set for a while in most categories.

If anyone else has Dying Light and wants to do some co-op feel free to add me on Steam, same username there as here

i'm getting an old PS3 from my girlfriend's brother - please tell me that i don't need an internet connection to play SF4?! i haven't owned a console since the PS2 (and sold it within 2yrs of the release date), so will need to track down a copy of MGS3 as well.

Edited by conqueror

Hey there's a gaming thread.

Finally got The Talos Principle yesterday since it was on massive sale on Steam, along with Dying Light, Dishonored, Portal 2 and Shadowrun:Dragonfall (Really enjoyed returns), so I should be set for a while in most categories.

If anyone else has Dying Light and wants to do some co-op feel free to add me on Steam, same username there as here

I hope you got the DLCs as well. Really completes the entire experience of playing the game.

• 2 weeks later...

played an hour of the Witness this morning - can't recommend it enough if any of you are on the fence

Is it worth the price tag? Comes out to be pretty pricey in aus dollars so I was a bit hesitant when i saw it. looks beautiful from the pics tho.. how's the music?

Is it worth the price tag? Comes out to be pretty pricey in aus dollars so I was a bit hesitant when i saw it. looks beautiful from the pics tho.. how's the music?

I think it's worth the price but like all games this won't be the price forever. I'm assuming you're joking about the music but in case you're not there's no music in the game at all.

I must've done about 75 of the puzzles so far and last night I found myself in several areas I couldn't seem to solve. However, when you leave to a new area and solve a really clever puzzle it is incredibly gratifying.

Yo for real tho. What if every minute you spent playing video games was used making the world a better place? I got a nintendo for Christmas in 88 and a nintendo power subscription. Was invited to test new products by the company like Super Scope 6. Before that I had a commodore 64 in my bedroom entering code to boot floppies.

Not no mo monte. 

There's a big world out there. It needs you. If you want to mess with electronics buy a synth and bring people together at a warehouse party before they all fill up with people dressed like star wars or hook ups skateboards characters. Create an app that generates environmental clean ups as needed. Not only are you wasting moments playing games but you type about them online. Connecting with people just to kill their effigy digitally. This isn't living. It isn't culture. It isn't art. And all of those things are dying. Get real. 

Also I started posting on here 10+ years ago under youwish.. I pulled the plug on the computer as well. 

Shut up you fucking commie

Have you played witcher 3? I found that was a much more interesting open world game than fallout 4 (put maybe 20 hours into and found it shallow)

no i haven't.  i'll prolly kop.  many have praised it.  plus i hear that u can sex alota bzs

I bought The Witcher 3 in hopes of really getting into it and somehow it just hasn't really done anything for me.

Not sure if it's because I'm not invested into the series (didn't play the original or 2) or what.

But I agree, Fallout 4 isn't nearly as interesting to me as 3 or New Vegas were.

Maybe I'm just getting older.