video games ruined my life

DüM

i'm glad i stayed up to watch a console reveal that has no console

make.believe

It was a smart move on their part not to release a console or even a price, and just give an overview of what they plan on doing with it. This way they have the opportunity to listen to the feedback they receive from fans and have a console by E3. Also it gives them a good chance to get developing kits out to various developers to start working on projects that they'll be able to showcase at this years E3.

Let's just hope that the PS4 is

1 ) Moderately priced for consumers

2 ) Lives up to their promises in this press conference (hardware wise)

3 ) Has games on launch that are worth picking up.

4 ) Allows players to use physical copies of games, and doesn't stop players from playing used copies

Apart from that it was a meh conference, no point on commenting on the hardware Sony always tries their best to get the fastest machine with the best graphics out (compared to other consoles of course). The sensor bar with the new controller reminded me of the Kinect and I had a good laugh at that.

The streaming idea is good, and should be added to all consoles really. The sad part is that the most watched streams are usually PC exclusive games (LOL, Dota 2, SC 2, WOW according to Twitch TV). The fact that you also have the ability to help out people in a stream is also really dumb and shows that they're aiming for a more casual audience.

Facebook integrated UI is interesting, hopefully you don't HAVE to have a facebook account to go online which would make it a real pain in the ass. Like I said earlier they're looking to make it a more social console aimed towards people who don't really play games often and it shows with the UI.

Can't say much about the games, and don't want to. Some of them looked pre-rendered and considering the travesty that was Gearbox's Aliens game I don't trust trailers or demos anymore. That being said Watch Dog looks cool and hopefully will live up to the praise that it's been getting.

Good to see them pushing the Vita some more with the remote play feature, but I also hate the cloud gaming streaming while you play bullshit. I like owning physical copies of games and the fact that I may not be able to get physical copies of games in the next generation is kind of upsetting.

Finally, and probably my biggest gripe of all is the "catering to your likes" bullshit. I'm fairly certain that with ESPN, Netflix, NHL, Facebook and others on board for the new console we can expect A LOT more ads and the like on the home screen etc. It's not a problem now with the 360, but the way things are going I can see it becoming an annoyance for people to have ads intrude their gaming experience.

/rant

Edited by canadafaf

I'm sure the DualShock 4 will grow on me but all previous iterations of the DualShock have been perfection (symmetry, size, intuitive button placement).

It's unlikely that I'll cop the PS4 at launch. FIFA is pretty much the only game I play these days. To be honest, the only games really get hyped on these days are Naughty Dog productions. Wouldn't mind getting into another Red Dead type game either.

http://www.rockstargames.com/agent/

This title has been in development hell for years now. Awesome concept. Perhaps there's hope of it coming out on the PS4.

i gotta say, if the focus of this generation of consoles is socially oriented gaming, it might be the first time that i don't make the upgrade. i mean obviously at some point i probably will in order to, well, play video games, but if there's going to be a lot of crossover between current/next gen in the games that come out in the first couple years, i have absolutely no interest whatsoever in a share button or watching my friends play anything. i'm surprised that that, instead of the games, is what's being talked about most

I've always preferred the analog placement on the xbox.

That being said, I too am feeling like there's very little drawing me to a new console. Other than Bioshock, whatever the new Metal Gear is, and Cyberpunk 2077 there aren't any games I am really looking forward to in the future. GTA V will probably be tight, but that seems more like something that I'll pick up out of routine instead of legitimate excitement.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really mixed on the PS4 and for that matter the upcoming generation of consoles.

I've got at least one console from the last three generations plus a MacBook with both OS X and Windows. All three consoles I have were upgrades over the previous generation but I'm not sure if this one will be worth it if, as others have said, the main focus is social gaming.

Don't get me wrong, I like online play and had some killer tournaments back in my youth with my pals (Tecmo Bowl on NES, GoldenEye and MarioKart 64 anyone?) but if it's Facebook-type gaming, count me out. I sort of predicted Zynga would fail anyway even when everyone was playing Farmville. (Heck, it's really just a knockoff of the old Sim Farm game put out by Maxis, which was basically original Sim City on a farm).

Sadly, it seems to be the trend. Apple is going this way with their iOS devices. I've got an iPad and found they make the old Number Munchers game (remember that from school on those awesome old Apple IIs?) and sure enough, they want me to connect to "Game Center" so I can put up high scores. Yeah, I do kick ass at math (and not just the fifth grade stuff they have on the game) but do I really care if the world sees that I kick ass at math and get nostalgia rushes every now and then?

I think I'll have to wait to see the PS4 on display. I've been to launch night for a console once, but probably won't be doing it this time since:

A) I want to see what games come out over the first few months

B) I don't have as much time for games as I used to (barely played last year)

C) My gf hates video games and would probably have some choice words for me if I dumped money on a so-so console. She likes old-school MarioKart (only reason I have a GameCube laying around) but that's pretty much it.

That being said, I do plan on getting the new Sim City.

ive never been into trading card type RPG.. but just started this marvel world of heroes shit.

fugggghhhhh.

edit: once you register your device you cant start over. so if you need help at the beginning with ?'s holla so you dont waste your shit.

referral code: bxx218974 if you want.

Edited by TPR950H

ive never been into trading card type RPG.. but just started this marvel world of heroes shit.

fugggghhhhh.

edit: once you register your device you cant start over. so if you need help at the beginning with ?'s holla so you dont waste your shit.

referral code: bxx218974 if you want.

MWH is pretty sick but i spent too much money already (a 1$ here and there is already too much)

And Jean Gray Suxxx!!!!!!! Use it for trade fodder

you should join my alliance: Injustice and I can hook u up with some free cards

get at me, my username is tylord666

Been on a lot of those Mobage "freemium" games

Stopped playing ROB and Blood Brothers. All I play now is MWH and Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade

Edited by tylortakahisa

• 2 weeks later...