video games ruined my life

DüM

Wife wants a Wii :rolleyes:

I have a couple of questions for anyone who can help.

1. Does that thing upscale GC games to high-def and widescreen, or will I need to leave my GC set up? If it upscales, that's awesome because I can sell my HD cable alone and cover most of the cost.

2. What is the best of those "workout" games? The genre is a total mess. I'm assuming Zumba but idk. I wouldn't be surprised if Dance Dance Revolution will give a better workout and be 100x the fun. The EA stuff and Training Camp look pretty good too. I think she'd get into Training Camp even though it isn't "girly."

...TF2!! .... WoW.. that's it? I once heard 75% of AO games are mac only though lol.

jyoni, Wii and HD are not capable of coexistence - you can definitely pop in any GC and use your old controllers, but it's still capped at 480 so you probably will hit some snags on your widescreen tv. Haven't actually tried personally, though..

Other than that I would def go with the cheapest workout stuff first as it's probably easy to pay for a lot of expensive peripherals if you're not careful - pretty sure the wii fit is still more than a new next gen game still, and that shit is guaranteed to be left in a corner eventually.

Jyoni, in regards to the Wii, I'd go with the basic Wii Fit package, preferably if you can get it bundled with Wii Fit Plus. There's a nice mix of cardio, balance, and strength exercises in there, although the strength stuff really can't match a real workout with weights.

Also, I once tried a GameCube disc on it and found I got better picture quality with the actual Cube. Your mileage may vary depending on your TV, I tried it on a 24" Sony CRT from the mid-2000s. I was using standard RCA plugs. I seem to remember the picture was sharper in some areas of the screen than others with the GC game. You're best keeping the GC hooked up even if it means you have to get a switcher box or run it through a VCR. The GC controller, however, works great on the Wii, and saves some money over buying the "classic controller".

Finally, if you're into the old stuff, I found the Wii's Virtual Console to work pretty well. They have most of Nintendo's stuff and a lot of Sega games on there too.

Wiis are cheap now and I'm sure you could score an even better deal on one if you wait until Black Friday. You won't have to fight a line for them like you did a few years ago.

Appreciate it guys. Yeah, I've got to put some restraint on the video-fitness purchasing immediately. It's not my spending I'm worried about...lol. So, I'll ask her to be happy with Wii Fit for now. If it sticks as an interest she can start feeling out more elaborate stuff.

Guess I'll leave the GC hooked up. 480p is the highest it runs through the digital port anyway. ED is more appropriate to say than HD, sorry for the time-stamped description. It's bug-free and looks great thru the GC.

Pennsylvania, if that CRT of yours will run component video, you should try one of these cables. I've seen it on a WEGA and it's super clean.

Wanted: Original Xbox repair. Won't load software. I think it's a version 1.1. It has the OG dashboard; "kernel" and "dashboard" are both 1.00.4034.01

Just bought this an hour ago.

I'll pay shipping both ways, and pay for your time and parts. I NEED that dashboard to play Panzer Dragoon and JSRF in 480p widescreen. Later ones created bugs that disable it. These early dashboards are all but extinct and it took me forever to score one. No updates, no mods, keep your Live titles away from it. If you update it accidentally, I'll send you a coil of dog shit in the mail.

pm me, I'm serious about this!

^^^ Found a nos Thomson drive for that xbox. I'll try it myself. The thing does load a couple games, so hopefully that is the problem.

Just got this in the mail. I've been after one for a while. Ikaruga in style!

003-4.jpg