video games ruined my life

DüM

well, dont take it personally.

but i cant say that is not the impression i get when i see grown ass dudes playing handheld games. it just looks silly. for the japanese, i would imagine that their general attitude towards gaming is a bit different than that of the US, given that sony/nintendo are their national products and that they (the japanese) just have a different world view than westerners like myself. so i guess i should have added that my opinion is culturally specific, not some generalization concerning all cultures.

I wasn't taking it personally, just sayin. I've never taken a DS/PSP out of the house, except for on a flight once.

Gotta admit, seeing Tokyo trains packed with grown business men playing Super Kawaii Fighter IV: Prepubescent Up-skirt Panty Shot Alpha on their PSPs was a trip. Definitely a hella different culture to the West.

with the addition of a right thumbstick and 3G connection on premium models, you can now play the next Call of Duty multiplayer on the go. think about it. Apple pretty much proved that the masses would play games on a handheld given the success of the app store and smaller devs being successful with inexpensive indie games on the iPhone. regardless of the higher price point, it makes sense on Sony's part to cash in the western FPS craze with this move in addition to defending their grip on the handheld market in Japan. whether they can make this work is another story though

well, your comment about Apple doesn't really hold much water. first, people don't buy iPhones specifically to play handheld games. it is first a phone before anything. people buy games, movies and music solely as additions to the gadget's primary functionality as a phone. i highly doubt anyone buys an iPhone for the gaming experience it offers. in other words, the iPhone's success with its apps is only marginally relevant, if that, in gauging PSP2's prospects.

second, it is precisely because Sony decides to add things like thumbsticks and 3G connection that PSP fails in comparison to Nintendo handhelds. those changes improve the machine from a technical standpoint, but do they really change (improve) the user's gaming experience? that is to say, do they offer something different that the user would not find in a console or a PC? why the hell would i want to play CoD/Uncharted on a fucking handheld when i could play it on a 52 inch hdtv with surround sound? the thing with PSP is that it constantly tries to emulate consoles. thats why it's stuck with ports most of the time. what it should be doing is appealing to the casual user with a gaming experience that is unique while not taking itself so seriously.

think about it. okay, so PSP2 is this new multimedia gadget that you can use to watch movies, play games and listen to music. i can already listen to music and watch movies on my iPhone (or any other smartphone). so why the hell would i pay $300+ to play a fucking port version of a game that i can play on a console?

on the other hand, 3-D gaming on the go, as offered by the Nintendo 3DS, is something that i cannot experience with my console or PC. i personally think it's because Nintendo creates an innovative handheld gaming experience that it has dominated PSP in the US.

but whatever. honestly, i dont really care much for handhelds in general. thanks for the videos though.

why the hell would i want to play CoD/Uncharted on a fucking handheld when i could play it on a 52 inch hdtv with surround sound? ... what it should be doing is appealing to the casual user with a gaming experience that is unique while not taking itself so seriously.

This is exactly why the DS is so successful, in my opinion.

hahaha. not much knowledge here bro - just a casual gamer. with that said, i will be adding you on PSN later tonight. i havent copped Dead Space 2 yet, but it seems like the reviews are very favorable. although im disappointed that the online multiplayer is a team-based death match rather than a coop campaign.

ever since some fuckers deleted all my stats and unlocks on MW2, ive been thinking about getting Black ops instead of DS2. im really into coop and the zombie mode appeals to me. i will probably get both though.

^ yessss, lod, sc and cs 1.5 for me, then the last 2 years of high school was all dota haha.. i remember i was so sad and shit in grade 9 when my lod account was banned ): left pindlebot on by accident

the only reason i got a ds was for gta chinatown wars, i really dislike the ps2/ps3 versions.. birds eye view ftw

first, people don't buy iPhones specifically to play handheld games. it is first a phone before anything. people buy games, movies and music solely as additions to the gadget's primary functionality as a phone.
they don't, but at the same time people don't buy it just because it's a cellphone. my point is that Apple's success with games from the app store means that the handheld gaming market (and portable media for that matter) is growing larger and getting more varied/segmented, which is why Sony is beefing up the PSP with this device. They know it can't win over the casual gamers, but no one else is putting out a gaming device with current-gen console graphics and a load of other features (like being able to use Skype). They won't move as many units as the iPhone or 3DS but they don't have to.
on the other hand, 3-D gaming on the go, as offered by the Nintendo 3DS, is something that i cannot experience with my console or PC. i personally think it's because Nintendo creates an innovative handheld gaming experience that it has dominated PSP in the US.
the success of the DS really comes from the shit ton of support it gets from first party and third party devs, and its price. not because of the features of the device. the 3D feature of the 3DS is really just a way for Nintendo to get people's attention early and to justify charging more for PS2-level graphics (making their install base appealing to get a big number of developers on board). people will keep buying it because of the number and variety of games it will eventually have, 3D or not.

not trying to convince you to jump on the NGP/PSP2 hypetrain, just trying 2 explain why Sony are doing what they're doing

what you said about Nintendo is absolutely true. Nintendo does get a lot of support from developers, but i wonder if that is the case precisely because the gaming device itself appeals to the developers themselves, not just because they have some bizarre fetish for Nintendo. it just seems to me that handheld gaming by its nature is such that it demands a very casual gaming experience, as seen in Nintendos and iPhones. i mean, the whole point of "on the go" gaming is that you can engage with a game at a minimal level while still being entertained at the same time. in other words, the point is to provide a detached, casual experience. but once the device tries to emulate console-type gaming, as the PSP is doing, then it negates its own handheld-ness, as it were. and as a result, the user is always forced to confront the following question: why the hell am i playing a console game on a fucking 4 inch screen?

Apple's success with games from the app store means that the handheld gaming market (and portable media for that matter) is growing larger and getting more varied/segmented, which is why Sony is beefing up the PSP with this device.

you are certainly right. the handheld gaming market is for sure expanding. but you have to consider the possibility that maybe Apple's app store games are successful precisely because they are casual games. look through any of the top games in the app store, and you will immediately recognize that the most salient feature of these games is that they are very casual and one-dimensional, certainly not a console-type experience.

They know it can't win over the casual gamers, but no one else is putting out a gaming device with current-gen console graphics and a load of other features (like being able to use Skype).

again, this is precisely my point. why would you want to play a current-gen console game on a handheld? it defeats the point of handheld gaming. the PSP is not providing an alternate gaming experience; rather, it offers the user a much smaller, less refined handheld version of his console games. it just seems to me that we have a different idea of what handheld gaming should be. who knows maybe PSP2 will be a massive success. i doubt it, but we shall see!

but i wonder if that is the case precisely because the gaming device itself appeals to the developers themselves, not just because they have some bizarre fetish for Nintendo.
and the device itself appeals to a wider range of developers mainly because they can make games at a lower cost, since the DS is not very graphics-intensive, and can sell to a bigger install base than if they make games for the PSP. the dual screens and bottom touch-screen features, which make the hardware distinct from older Nintendo handhelds, are a plus for them.
it just seems to me that handheld gaming by its nature is such that it demands a very casual gaming experience, as seen in Nintendos and iPhones. i mean, the whole point of "on the go" gaming is that you can engage with a game at a minimal level while still being entertained at the same time. in other words, the point is to provide a detached, casual experience. but once the device tries to emulate console-type gaming, as the PSP is doing, then it negates its own handheld-ness, as it were. and as a result, the user is always forced to confront the following question: why the hell am i playing a console game on a fucking 4 inch screen?
and this is obviously why the DS/3DS appeals to you more: your own preferences and views on portable gaming. however, i did mention that the handheld market is getting more varied. for a long time, Nintendo OWNED portable gaming. and then the PSP came out, and then games on smartphones. attitudes about portable gaming changed. some people want to play games simpler than what Nintendo handhelds provide (like on the iPhone) and others want an experience closer to modern consoles (like PSP games).
again, this is precisely my point. why would you want to play a current-gen console game on a handheld?
i would answer that question with another question: why would you want to play a game that looks AND plays like it came out eight years ago when you could be playing a game that's truly current-gen (see the touchpad on the rear of PSP2/NGP), on the go? this obviously doesn't apply to all gamers but as i mentioned, some people with these preferences are willing to shell out money to play current-gen games on a small screen, like everyone who chose to buy a PSP over a DS.

Nintendo themselves are showing that they perceive the PSP to be a threat by fully backing games you would normally play on consoles (which is Sony's territory) for the 3DS like Street Fighter 4 3D, MGS Snake Eater, Resident Evil Revelations, among other big 3rd party titles. this proves that there IS a lucrative market for these games on handhelds.

i would answer that question with another question: why would you want to play a game that looks AND plays like it came out eight years ago when you could be playing a game that's truly current-gen (see the touchpad on the rear of PSP2/NGP), on the go?[/Quote]

well let me begin by saying that i dont own a PSP or a DS; and i certainly dont plan on getting their respective future models. with that said, im not sure if you are understanding my question, i.e., my central point. your answer (as presented above in the form of a question) is irrelevant to the question i posed beforehand. your "answer" would only make sense if the following was true: current-gen graphics = good game. that's just ridiculous. i mean, to be sure, that's a convenient metric, but a really lazy one for that same reason.

you have to realize that there are qualitative and quantitative distinctions. PSP is a quantitatively better machine than a Nintendo DS, no questions there. but when i said that NDS was better for its alternate gaming experience, i was referring to its qualitative difference. it's purely a casual gaming device, nothing more. what a handheld should be. but the PSP on other hand is, as you put it, a device for console gaming on the go, i.e., not exactly a handheld (casual) gaming machine. maybe i phrased it poorly before, so let me reiterate my point:

i just dont understand why the hell anyone would pay $300+ for the exact same game you can play on a console, that is, on a much larger screen and better sound. it's like you prefer fucking a fleshlight over the real deal. am i missing something here? now this analogy doesn't hold for NDS because its games are qualitatively different than what i play on my console or PC; whereas the games on PSP are just quantitatively smaller, mini-sized versions of the exact same console titles. honestly, i dont know how much clearer i can be.

Nintendo themselves are showing that they perceive the PSP to be a threat by fully backing games you would normally play on consoles (which is Sony's territory) for the 3DS like Street Fighter 4 3D, MGS Snake Eater, Resident Evil Revelations, among other big 3rd party titles. this proves that there IS a lucrative market for these games on handhelds.

it doesnt prove anything. those are entirely different games, offering entirely different gaming experiences than their console counterparts. in other words, they are not just ports or handheld versions of console games. those are 3D games, entirely unique in their own right.

but since you brought it up, let us look at some of the launch titles for the PSP 2:

Killzone

Uncharted

Call of Duty

Resistance

Little Big Planet

ALL GAMES you can/should play on a console for a much better experience. these are all just quantitatively mini-sized versions of the exact same console games. there is no qualitative distinction here at all. is it 3D? no. is it somehow different from the console games, other than the fact that you play on a much smaller device? no. if one can argue for any qualitative distinction here, it would only be inferiority. i mean, if you got the dough then by all means go ahead; but i will be spending my time and money on a much more worthwhile endeavor (no, not Nintendo 3DS either - fuck handhelds).

i just dont understand why the hell anyone would pay $300+ for the exact same game you can play on a console, that is, on a much larger screen and better sound. it's like you prefer fucking a fleshlight over the real deal. am i missing something here?

I think you're missing the part that this is a portable machine. of course consoles are better for the actual game play, but its like wondering why people buy laptops when they can buy a more powerful desktop machine for cheaper, maybe they need or want to take it somewhere else than their desk (or in this case, living room).

you are looking at this from your own perspective, which is ok, but its not the only one. I personally am not into portable consoles either, but quite a big amount of people seem to be and some are willing to pay what these devices cost. this is a completely pointless argument imo, it entirely depends on what each individual wants, needs and is willing to pay for.

I think you're missing the part that this is a portable machine. of course consoles are better for the actual game play, but its like wondering why people buy laptops when they can buy a more powerful desktop machine for cheaper, maybe they need or want to take it somewhere else than their desk (or in this case, living room).

you are looking at this from your own perspective, which is ok, but its not the only one. I personally am not into portable consoles either, but quite a big amount of people seem to be and some are willing to pay what these devices cost. this is a completely pointless argument imo, it entirely depends on what each individual wants, needs and is willing to pay for.

to be fair, desktop/laptop is to console/handheld analogy doesnt really make sense. in the former you are still playing games on essentially the same machine and having the same game experience, except that one has portability. laptop is also just a PC, after all. but as for the latter, however, the difference is a bit more drastic. i wont go through it again, but im sure you know what i mean.

and as for your second comment, well, it should be obvious that in any sort of debate people present and argue for their different opinions. but if we were to just say oh your opinion is cool too just as mine is, then nothing would be done. admittedly, there can be better, more socially relevant things to debate about; but if people cant debate about video games in a video game thread, then i dont know where. the guy asked for my opinion and i gave him one. just like yourself, i dont really care for handhelds either, but i will answer when asked.

and lastly, im picking up Dead Space 2 and Black Ops today. anyone up for zombie mode let me know!

4 hours into DeadSpace 2 (360), in Chapter 6. I like how this game forces you to explore every foot of the map for power nodes, money, etc., not a campaign you can just run through..this is in my top 3 along with bioshock and half life 2.

your "answer" would only make sense if the following was true: current-gen graphics = good game.
i agree, that's not necessarily the case. but if you have a more powerful machine like the PS3 and 360 over the Wii, you can deliver a more immersive gaming experience and cram more content into a game. only this time, you can carry it with you.
what a handheld should be.
i understand that it's a casual gaming device but you don't seem to be aware that, like what mike lowrey mentioned, your viewpoint on portable gaming is not the only one. the modest success of the PSP is a proof that other folks want something more from their portable gaming experience.
i just dont understand why the hell anyone would pay $300+ for the exact same game you can play on a console, that is, on a much larger screen and better sound...
that's just it, some people DON'T want to play more casual games on the go because they have the choice of playing games that offer an experience closer to current-gen consoles! to this group, that experience (along with other multimedia functionality) justifies the higher price tag. you don't have to agree with this opinion. at the same time, it wouldn't be fair to be dismissive about it either.
it doesnt prove anything. those are entirely different games, offering entirely different gaming experiences than their console counterparts. in other words, they are not just ports or handheld versions of console games. those are 3D games, entirely unique in their own right.
you lost me there. maybe i'm missing something here but how exactly does the 3D feature alter the core gameplay elements, thereby changing the experience (or offer something different from the console versions and not just "simplified") of the games i mentioned?

x_RenH5EXcw

it's the same game as the one in consoles, but simplified for the hardware. i know about the 3D view as well. this changes the viewpoint of the player, but not how the game is played. if SF4 came out on the PSP2, a fan of the game with both of these handhelds would pick the PSP2 version, because it's closer to the console experience.

O8BWvgtqDUw

this is a 3DS exclusive but the gameplay is the same as the console Resident Evils. again, in this situation, how does the 3D feature add a different way to play it? the only game i can think of that uses the 3DS' distinct features is Ocarina of Time, which is still essentially a port of the console version! the simple fact is that since the technical specs of the 3DS are improved Nintendo can and will offer console-like gaming experience, along the lines of the Wii, on their handheld.

ALL GAMES you can/should play on a console for a much better experience. these are all just quantitatively mini-sized versions of the exact same console games. there is no qualitative distinction here at all. is it 3D? no. is it somehow different from the console games, other than the fact that you play on a much smaller device? no. if one can argue for any qualitative distinction here, it would only be inferiority.
remember that it is more expensive for devs to develop games on current-gen consoles, which explains the lack of variety of game genres this gen compared to the PS1 and PS2 era. publishers mainly want to push games that they think will sell well. in the PSP's case, there are a lot more games in different genres to choose from (that were common in the PS2's heyday) than for the PS3 because development costs are lower. games like Monster Hunter Portable, Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core, GTA: Liberty City Stories wouldn't sell to the publisher's expectations if they came out on current-gen consoles. but since they are less costly to make, PSP owners get the benefit of a greater amount of content than what you find in a lot of current-gen games, without them looking like they came from 1999.

take for instance MGS: Peace Walker:

eSrf7ErahoQ

even if you haven't played the game, maybe you've heard that it's essentially a full and original MGS game on a handheld. sure, it's not as easy to play with only one thumbstick, but i can say that the content and quality of the game is head and shoulders above any game in the same genre for the DS. Kojima didn't release this game on the PS3 because it would cost way more and take longer to finish. since the PSP's technical specs are better than the DS', he didn't have to compromise the elements which make a Metal Gear Solid game on consoles, and this is why this game appeals to me and other people who chose to buy a PSP over a DS.

in the same way, the specs of the 3DS also make it possible for him to deliver a console-like experience to a handheld. this is why Nintendo is fully supportive of MGS: Snake Eater 3D, a console game in its core.

i personally don't play video games while commuting, but the PSP exclusives and the variety of its library make that handheld worth it for me. gonna wait for a price drop and a solid lineup before getting the PSP2.

/gamertalk

what time is it?

YPo054iNQK4

IT'S KICKING ALIENS IN THE FACE TIME

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

super late reaction, but i'm fucking stoked for this. haven't been playing FPSs on the regular since 1.6 and Quake 3 LAN parties were all the rage. that trailer is pure nostalgia.

Rated M for MANLY

and as for your second comment, well, it should be obvious that in any sort of debate people present and argue for their different opinions. but if we were to just say oh your opinion is cool too just as mine is, then nothing would be done. admittedly, there can be better, more socially relevant things to debate about; but if people cant debate about video games in a video game thread, then i dont know where. the guy asked for my opinion and i gave him one. just like yourself, i dont really care for handhelds either, but i will answer when asked.

I only brought up the point of view because you literally said you don't understand why someone would buy a PSP. It's as simple as needing or wanting something different, there is not much more to 'get'.

4 hours into DeadSpace 2 (360), in Chapter 6. I like how this game forces you to explore every foot of the map for power nodes, money, etc., not a campaign you can just run through..this is in my top 3 along with bioshock and half life 2.

I was playing a little of this in a movie theatre the other day and between not knowing what I was really doing and the sound being creepy and loud as hell, this game might be my first non-cod fps.