Buzz Rickson vs. Real McCoys Navy Pea Coat

chkamb

I have this coat. Not sure if anyone else realized one GIANT difference. The BR coat is 36 oz. melton wool. There own blend. The Real McCoy one is only 30 oz. AND it cost a lot more. I say this as well as Kiya, you will not find another peacoat both this heavy and soft. Ain't gonna happen. +1 for the BR Peacoat.

Sizing. I'm 5'7" 160 lbs. I wear a sz. 40 in flathead shirts, medium in Sugar Cane and small in Iron Heart and size 38 in BR shirts. I got a sz. 38 in the peacoat. If your shoulders are not that broad, you can easily squeeze into a 36. Hell, if I didn't feel the need to move my arms that high and was going to just wear T's and light weight shirts underneath, I could squeeze into a 36.

--Markmont.

I have this coat. Not sure if anyone else realized one GIANT difference. The BR coat is 36 oz. melton wool. There own blend. The Real McCoy one is only 30 oz. AND it cost a lot more. I say this as well as Kiya, you will not find another peacoat both this heavy and soft. Ain't gonna happen. +1 for the BR Peacoat.

Sizing. I'm 5'7" 160 lbs. I wear a sz. 40 in flathead shirts, medium in Sugar Cane and small in Iron Heart and size 38 in BR shirts. I got a sz. 38 in the peacoat. If your shoulders are not that broad, you can easily squeeze into a 36. Hell, if I didn't feel the need to move my arms that high and was going to just wear T's and light weight shirts underneath, I could squeeze into a 36.

--Markmont.

thanks, any fit pics available?

Can't knock the Real McCoy's, their craftsmanship is always a step above everything else. Granted the pricing can get ridiculous. I will say this though about Buzz Rickson and Sugar Cane in general. Lately I've been very dissappointed with their QC. Some of the shit I've seen I can't believe made it to the store. I've never seen this with RMC and I've been to a lot of their stores over the years.

Still, both jackets are very nice and BR version is a better bang for the yen at 51450円. The RMC version is pricier at 68150円 but I've never been dissappointed with any of their products. You win with either.

Honestly - the BR pea coat is perfect..top notch and no screwed up sewing - I just tried it on again and decided to keep it since a 36 would be just too tight around the shoulders..wore it walking to work - it's about -5 C today - and I was warmer than when I wear a down jacket. In other words - also top notch for material. I highly recommend it....and yes, fit pics soon

i'm a little worried about losing a button. thinking of having them reinforced at a tailor's shop, cause i imagine getting a replacement button might be sort of difficult.

other than that, i love everything about mine.

i'm a little worried about losing a button. thinking of having them reinforced at a tailor's shop, cause i imagine getting a replacement button might be sort of difficult.

other than that, i love everything about mine.

Good idea - but if you lost a button - you could probably acquire one very very close being that its a replica. OR if you were to replace with a completely different and contrasting button - the jacket would just look that much more unique and lived in. Win win situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Is anyone making pea-coats in the newer six button style? I recieved the standard issue in basic training, and the liner and sleeve stitching is all coming out after very minimal wear. A replacement of the same type is nearly 300 dollars at the uniform exchange. I was hoping to spend a bit more and get something that might actually last, but the 40's pattern or the schott slim-fit is definitley unacceptable in uniform, any leads?

Not sure if its sterlingwear or not, the website does say they're the official supplier. All our deck jackets and other outerwear was being made by Spiewak at the time of my initial issue. The only tags in the thing are Naval Clothing with a national stock number and size, and the blank tag for name and serial number. Whoever made it, they did a rush job. The wool itself is nice, its just the construction is sorely lacking, and no where I've tried yet will touch it for repairs.

The sterlingwear looks the same, im just afraid that at an even lower price than the uniform shop if I'll have the same quality issues. Thanks for the response.