edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

Got my leatherman tools back today after sending them in for some warranty repairs. Sent 1 busted up squirt s4, 1 good condition juice s2 with broken tension bar, and 1 discontinued Pro model that I just wanted a pair of tweezers for.

Got back 3 brand new (refurbished) tools. Kind of sad they replaced my Juice Pro with an XE6 instead though. All i wanted was a pair of tweezers. It was cool having a retired model in mint condition. And I completely forgot to send in my other squirt s4 which is also extremely busted up. Oh well.

But yeah, Leatherman's warranty is awesome. 25 years, dont have to show proof of purchase or anything. I think I've purchased all my leathermans used off of ebay. Just ship off your tools to Oregon and they'll fix you up or send you some brand new tools back.

Oh and they threw a "I have a Leatherman. I can help." bumper sticker in the package too.

Edited by f50fan

That's a great price, almost unbelievable as it is lower than table price. Just double check to make sure it's not a counterfeit, as there are some pretty good ones out there.

That's the actual cost on them, the ones that go for more are resellers.

he obtained the xm18 and a few other knives (gold class osbourne something, microtech autos, etc) from a friend who passed away a few months ago, so i doubt it's a fake. he's not even that big on knives, but we share an obsession for titanium.

how can you distinguish real from fake xm18 ?

Table prices at a show, directly from R. Hinderer (if you get picked in his lottery are 385$ for production xm-18s, $550 for hand-grounds)

I'd think you're fine if you know where the knife came from, and how they got it. There are knock-offs of different quality, some of the better ones, like some of the Strider rip-offs, look pretty close.

I'm much more familiar with IDing fake Emerson knive, as that is the maker I collect and use. I always see a red flag when a price seems to good to be true. I've seen XM-18s in good shape going from 6-800$ lately.

I just received my Sebenza in the mail and she is a beauty! Never spent so much on a knife before, and now I know why people do it! Perfect blade centering, solid lockup, no blade play in any direction and built like a mofo tank! This thing is awesome! Should've bought one sooner!

I wish the blade could be opened quicker, but flicking is against the Chris Reeve handbook :/. I don't even know how you would flick this thing open. Lockup when closed is so tight it requires me to exert a bit of force before it opens (one-handed, this will probably be a lot easier once its broken in).

*better* Pics to come

Heres a quick shot with my iphone

6985272793_63379f3473_z.jpg

Edited by neonecko

it really does get easier once broken in. my sebenzas might be too easy now...

i need to send them back and have them go through that crk treatment (spa? i don't know).

also, i was never a real fan of the thumb lugs. have you checked out that one guy who modified his with the studs off his bm osbourne? looks way more comfortable deploying.

Thinking of putting together a nice EDC set up for my buddy's 21st. He went beyond all out for mine so I'm looking at getting him some nice stuff. Recommendations?

Flashlight - Would like copper or Ti.

Knife - Got him a more ornamental pocket knife a few years ago. Would like something along the lines of a gentleman's folder, but we definitely look at some more heavy duty stuff (but nothing too imposing. I'm in Australia and knives just aren't as common)

Keychain - Will probably just get a leather loop + ring. Though what's the newest iteration of the coolhook?

and maybe a multi of some sort?

Thinking a might also try track down an Atwood or something too. He loves that kind of shit.

All up budget including shipping down under? $4-500.

Any help is appreciated guys!!!

^^^ be warned - you can have some issues with australian customs trying to import knives nowadays - anything that can be opened with one hand or "gravity flicked" is liable to be seized. the criteria for knives which are restricted are pretty loose and interpretation is almost entirely up to the customs officer going through your shit. had a spydero manix 2 seized as a "flick knife". supposedly officers can be pretty salty about it - they'll open the blade partway/loosen and oil up the opening mechanism and then try opening it one handed/with a flicking motion, classify it as a restricted item and confiscate it. semi convinced some dude just seized my spydey and walked off with it.

that being said, any smallish spyderco or benchmade folder would be a pretty safe bet. not sure about gentleman's folders but maybe laguiole? you can legally buy stuff domestically (shops are allowed to sell out of their current stock but not order any more), or risk shipping it - ask the shipper if they can tighten up the bolt the blade pivots on to make it harder to open, then just loosen it up when it arrives. if you can spring for it, chris reeves' sebenzas are bomber pieces of gear but float upwards of $400.

of course, if your mate gets caught with a knife on him without reasonable excuse, he'll be up for some pretty heavy punishment.

flashlights wise, mac's customs are unbelievable but will kill your budget ($299 for Cu or Ti flashlights, $209 for brass) (http://macscustoms.com). otherwise 4sevens does some Ti stuff - their gear is generally pretty solid. sunwayman is meant to be pretty sweet also but i have no experience with any of their stuff...

titanium flashlights suggestions: http://goinggear.com...=245&q=titanium

cool little folder: http://www.knivesshi...roducts_id=7964

edit: nothing like an edc expert but just my two cents.

sorry for the tl;dr

Edited by philosophiliac

I'd look at an Emerson cqc-14 for a folder. It has a full size grip, and a sub 3" blade. It won't scare people, but it is very sturdy and quite capable. There is also the small Sebenzas, but they are a bit pricier, and seem more of a dress knife to me. (I have a large Sebbie, but don't carry it to much any more)

Here is a dealer for Emerson in AUS, so you won't have to worry about customs.

cutting edge knives

+61 733511804

21 babinda st. keperra qld

4054 brisbane, australia

http://www.cuttingedgeknives.com.au/

I've been looking at picking up a lenslight mini in Ti.

http://lens-light.com/store/

Any Ti or Cu lights + quality knife are going to eat up your budget pretty quick FYI.

Good luck!

What is that awesomeness on your screen?

Suzy wallpaper I jacked from branespload w/ geektool scripts on osx

it really does get easier once broken in. my sebenzas might be too easy now...

i need to send them back and have them go through that crk treatment (spa? i don't know).

also, i was never a real fan of the thumb lugs. have you checked out that one guy who modified his with the studs off his bm osbourne? looks way more comfortable deploying.

Thats good to know. I'd have no problem sending my sebenza back to Chris Reeve for spa treatment. Really happy with their service so far. Ordered a lanyard bead directly from them and it arrived in 2 days. Great communication also.

Not a huge fan of the thumb lugs myself. A bit too pointy, but I can live with it. I'll definitely try to check out the BM Osborne conversion though, that sounds cool!

Sorry but that looks gaudy as fuck dude.

Shiny skulls does look a bit ed hardy. But then again, I like things to be less shiny in general.

It's actually not that shiny, it's a hand-made sterling silver Emerson skull, from Steel Flame. It is a gunmetal finish, looks a lot more subdued in person.

@35percent....don't be sorry, I don't buy/use custom knives to satisfy your ideas of what is or isn't aesthetically pleasing.

selling a few knives if anyone is interested:

zt0551 $230 shipped conus:

480575_10100935557242613_3217831_59740876_756889780_n.jpg

486465_10100935557018063_3217831_59740873_1508781581_n.jpg

benchmade 943 $150 shipped conus:

482507_10100935557407283_3217831_59740880_214546674_n.jpg

also selling a spyderco szabofly $180:

spy-bali-sxabo.jpg

not my photo, but this is how it looks. brand new. never carried.

Edited by kenthenoob

Nice gear Highvoltage! Thanks for sharing those great photos! I can see you really like Emerson. Really considered one before the Sebenza eventually won me over. Hopefully I can get a chance to handle them the next time a local gunshow happens. Never really any knife selection there though(duh!!) lol

Thanks, the Sebenza is a great knife, a bit more refined than the Emerson production knives. To me they are good tools, and I use one daily at work. If you find Emerson's at a show they are usually overpriced, and the seller is trying to hype them to be something they aren't. I've been acquiring and using them for probably 6 or 7 years now. They are definitely my favorite. I probably won't be buying any more production pieces, and just focus on his customs.

What 1911 is that? How many rounds down the pipe and how reliable is it?

It's a Sig P238 .380, I probably have close to 1,500 through it. It is utterly reliable. I had a few recoil spring/mag issues when I first bought it (when it was introduced) Sig made some changes, and it is all set. I'm not big on tiny guns, but it is very accurate, soft shooting, and has good sights. It goes in my pocket when I can't manage a larger pistol.

ah, speaking of dumps, i haven't posted one in soooo long.

this dump is a few days old, but nothing's changed since:

citizen Ti nighthawk

bb something

gary scott Ti wallet (thanks sonny)

strider sng

I knew I've seen a Ti Wallet like that before! Very nice!

One day I'll get my chance at owning an SNG. It will be my use and abuse knife ;)