edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

I second the ukpk, great knife. I've got the leaf version with cf scales. Definitely one of my faves.

The sage line is the nearly the same thing with a tiny bit larger blade and locking mechanisms.

I'd just personally pass on the Leafstorm unless you could find it for a good price. It's a bit too overbuilt and the ergonomics aren't so great. But like everything ymmv

lookin for a small to mid sized rectangular canvas bag or case for a 1st aid kit for work. Something that can be portable but fit in a backpack, I've been lookin for the past few weeks. Seen some red cross ones that look decent except for they are bright red, lookin for more discrete black or brown or neutral shade colors. For the life of me i scoured many websites but havnt come up with a decent find.

Any EMT's, nurses, docs or anyone that has one let me know. Of if u come across one that'd be nice & appreciated, thanks.

something like this...

ItemImage_181_4911Z.jpg

I use http://www.conterra-inc.com/ for all my stuff, I'm a paramedic, SAR trained, and Wilderness first responder. If you want olive drab/black/coyote brown, look on military sites like US cavalry, LAPolicegear, 511, countycomm, Maxpedition, or http://www.narescue.com/.

I have more links, but I'm about to leave for a 3 day camping trip. I'll write up a post when I get back. What exactly are you wanting out of your kit? Basic FA stuff for everyday use? Or something more advanced?

No idea. I know they say you're not supposed to use it to climb or descend and its not going to hold your weight, but in an emergency survival situation I'm sure I'd try it.

I just really thought it was a cool thing to own and the fact the military is using it makes it even more appealing. If it comes in handy even once I'll be happy.

What about this one used by the US Army: http://www.baledefence.com/grappling_hook.htm

Looks pretty cool. They also sell it here: http://webrevolutionary.com/price/TRGear-Military-Grabber-Grappling-Hook-Collapsible-USMC_270691054431.html

Here's another that says it supports up to 1600lbs: http://www.botachtactical.com/cagrho.html

what the fuck is going on here? grappling hooks for EDC?

you got a nato strap so now your james bond?

can you even lift your own body weight over a ledge?

i think there are much more appropriate forums or threads for this kind of shit than an everyday carry thread on sufu.

maybe zombiesarecoming.net, or iwatchtoomanymovies.org, or maybe you could get CERT certified and do some actual good.

until then carry well and if you happen to get the grappling hook heres hoping the world ends the next day so you are fully justified while you climb to new heights to be gunned down by the masses.

^ LOL

Well I'm pretty sure the conversation started (at least for me) with the Mini which is slightly larger than a peanut lighter. Def worthy of EDC since it's so compact. Plus its just cool to fuck with... Let's be honest.

None of these are for actual climbing (Except whatnicholas1987 posted). Snagging items, lowering, pulling up/around items? Sure I could see that.

Plus its been mentioned prior in this thread so I don't see why it can't be discussed here.

Also, I work in a 10 story building on the 6th floor. God forbid the floor below me catch on fire and for some reason I can't use the stairs I could at least have one of these in my bag, break a window, and lower myself down from the building. If I just broke the window and tried to jump, I really doubt I'd survive it's completely concrete below...

dont get me wrong. i understand the uses of the items. i just doubt very highly, that it is EDC worthy. maybe BOB worthy or car worthy but not on your person. thats just silly as hell. also you did list the mini but those others that were listed seem a bit more like military or leo applications rather than something you would put in your pocket in the morning like your wallet or knife.

just sayin.

Also, I work in a 10 story building on the 6th floor. God forbid the floor below me catch on fire and for some reason I can't use the stairs I could at least have one of these in my bag, break a window, and lower myself down from the building. If I just broke the window and tried to jump, I really doubt I'd survive it's completely concrete below...

well in that case are you trained to belay yourself? dont you think it would be just as practical to keep something at your office desk for such an improbable emergency situation? like actual climbing rope and harnesses? yes this can support your weight, yes paracord can support your weight but not if that shit is cutting your leg off.

lets just file this whole idea under, justifying ridiculous items then posting them for trolling glory.

well in that case are you trained to belay yourself? dont you think it would be just as practical to keep something at your office desk for such an improbable emergency situation? like actual climbing rope and harnesses? yes this can support your weight, yes paracord can support your weight but not if that shit is cutting your leg off.

lets just file this whole idea under, justifying ridiculous items then posting them for trolling glory.

Wait what? You think I'm trolling? I linked those because they're relevant, people were discussing grappling hooks. Those grappling hooks collapse and would easily fit into a messenger bag or backpack.

My point is, having one on hand if you work a high rise would actually be fairly useful in the event that something happened. Even if you fucked up your hands and even fell the last 3-4 stories, at least you'd survive. They would definitely increase your chances of survival.

But yeah... fine let's move on.

Anyone notice that Peter Atwood's stuff really seems to have gone downhill lately? I know earlier in the thread people were mentioning what a ripoff the lame beads and shot glasses were, but if you look through his archives in 2007-2008 he was making way more complex and useful things priced only moderately more than the stuff he sells now.

Is it because he got so popular so now he can just take advantage of collectors who buy anything labeled Atwood or is the dude just burnt out? Even still why doesn't he make some of the old designs anymore? Do they get retired permanently?

I was considering the leafstorm because I'm trying to rack up amazon credit and the leafstorm would only be ~$45 out of pocket if I get as much credit as I think i will have.

Although buying a cheaper knife or no knife at all would mean more money/credit for other shit like some cheap IEM's, new watch, whatever else I can think of.

About to go see 127 hours, wanted to look up what he used to amputate his arm, came up with this:

"After five days of trying to lift and break the boulder, the dehydrated and delirious Ralston prepared to amputate his trapped right arm below the elbow in order to escape. Although he never named the manufacturer of the tool other than to say it was not Leatherman, he did describe it as "what you'd get if you bought a $15 flashlight and got a free multi-use tool""

yikes.

Some youtube knife reviewers are just...bad..

EDIT: (lol this is totally random from ^^^)

Nutnfancy duracoated 25 Rat 1's and signed them + numbered them and sold them as limited edition for $85..

He's touting them as rare and limited and he said to check the value of them in a couple of years.

SHAKE MY FUCKING HEAD.

Nutnfancy is a total lunatic. Who does he think he is?

and in his paracord shit video he said people were "stealing" his official nutnfancy colorway.

</rant>

I know there are already a lot of people that hate him, so I'll just leave it at that.

Report back on the bag. I kinda want it as well.

got it earlier today. from 2 minutes of fondling it, it feels pretty solid for 40 bucks. it's also a lot bigger than i thought it was when it's not held back by the side straps.

also, there are no pen pockets in the smaller pockets =[

i'll post a full review in a few days.

Ed Schempp said stainless version of the Spyderco Balance should be coming out within the next 6th months and will be about half the thickness of the carbon fiber version and will be priced around the same as the cricket since it's the same factory. So probably ~$60.

Would anyone cop? Balance is a pretty cool design and if the SS version will really be half as thin as the CF version it should be a pretty nice mini edc.