edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

wow does everyone here carry wilderness survival gear to work like it's y2k?

what more do you need besides:

wallet/clip

phone

keys

smks

sunglasses

???

your list doesn't even have a lighter in it to light those smks.

A good knife and flashlight to start...

Any phone with a back light can work in a pinch. I do keep a flashlight in my car but can't remember the last time I used it.

What are you gonna do with a knife on a regular basis that you can't do with common utensils in the kitchen or at work? I recognize the utility of a good tool when backpacking/camping but I don't see the urban applications. How does one even carry multiple flashflights, knives, etc on their person day to day?

Maybe I'm being overly critical but to me it just doesn't seem practical...

I use my knife at work everyday, from cutting down boxes to opening deliveries. A phones backlight is also substandard for trying to find things in the dark.

I would recommend reading through the thread before asking why we carry all these tools. If it wasn't practical I wouldn't carry it.

I just lurk, and I can answer this.

Any phone with a back light can work in a pinch. I do keep a flashlight in my car but can't remember the last time I used it.

yes a phone light can work, but it's no where near as effective as a good quality flashlight. Plus it drains the battery pretty quickly.

What are you gonna do with a knife on a regular basis that you can't do with common utensils in the kitchen or at work?

I don't carry a knife but I can see the application. What about when you aren't at home? What about when you are at work but don't want to find a knife or some scissors?

How does one even carry multiple flashflights, knives, etc on their person day to day?

This can easily be answered just by looking in the thread. Jeans usually have 5 pockets, plus you have keychains, jacket/shirt pockets and a bag (if you carry one every day)

The whole idea behind EDC is to be prepared for whatever might happen. Read the thread.

Edit: Beaten to it.

I use my knife at work everyday, from cutting down boxes to opening deliveries. A phones backlight is also substandard for trying to find things in the dark.

I would recommend reading through the thread before asking why we carry all these tools. If it wasn't practical I wouldn't carry it.

Don't you have a boxcutter at work if you open deliveries regularly? I just can't imagine you needing to break down boxes while on the subway, or at the coffee shop.

Sorry I guess I really am missing the point :(((

The funny part is gonna be when they report back to this thread saying they wish they had this and that, and what are some good lights and knives.

Don't worry, none of your friends are into this obviously, because you don't see the logic in any of it. So they probably share the same opinion that you do. So when you guys wish you were prepared, and aren't think of this thread. But at least get the Tweezerman nail cutter! No body likes random hangnails!

why not just read through the thread instead of looking at a few pix, then jumping to the last page to make assumptions/ask questions that you think have never been asked/answered before?

not really motivated to read 600 pages, but I was interested so I skimmed a few pages and the only action shot I saw was of some dude chopping herbs with a leatherman in the kitchen.

anyway, kudos to those of you who have found novel uses for your blades, and for the minority of you that have actually used them in emergency situations.

i realize i'm just pissing into the wind here.

It's k bro. Everyone asks the same questions when they stumble into this thread. It's the ones that are intrigued enough that stay in it.

Truth is that not everyone needs the same things that people do in this thread, but thats great for them. If people here feel like they need something, they carry it with them; simple as that.

As I said previously in this thread, people wear bracelets, hats, etc which don't serve a great ultimate purpose, but they have them anyway. Same can be said for things like knives and flashlights. Some people just like having them.

A lot of people in this thread understand where you're coming from, but when you ask too many questions it seems like you're questioning their logic and reasoning, which is why they get defensive. Just lurk the thread for a while if you want to, or if you're not interested, just let it go and move on.

Nice. You into climbing/ice climbing? Got a few trips planned this year

Mmmm. Pics? :D

Been a while, so here's a pocket dump:

834848cd.jpg

The usual stuff, and added a Filson/Levis card case. I also got this little guy as a present:

1defe062.jpg

Haven't really incorporated it into my EDC yet tho...

On a different note, it seems I "misplaced" my 4sevens mini :(

Checked out their site, and was thinking of getting the Mini123 S2. Yay/nay?

What is the name of the type of knife at the bottom? I use to use one when I worked at this place cutting ginger. I loved it.. but I dunno the name.

What is the name of the type of knife at the bottom? I use to use one when I worked at this place cutting ginger. I loved it.. but I dunno the name.

i dont think you did use that knife. its only been out a short time and you wouldnt forget the name if you had used one. on that note i have actually used this to cut ginger root.

also if anyone is thinking about buying the gnome i wouldnt buy it again. i think its useless. cool looking. but rather useless.

anyone have any idea what a secure way to carry my quark mini cr2 since the split ring it came with broke (and i almost lost it)?

=/ also i wish there was a way to attach my fisher bullet to my key hook like those sharpie mini's i dont like to pocket carry anything really

anyone have any idea what a secure way to carry my quark mini cr2 since the split ring it came with broke (and i almost lost it)?

=/ also i wish there was a way to attach my fisher bullet to my key hook like those sharpie mini's i dont like to pocket carry anything really

You can get new split rings for Berkeley point, but they have a $30 minimum order which makes it hard to put an order in http://www.berkeleypoint.com/

Other than that.. I guess you could try Home Depot, they sometimes carry small split rings.

depends on what you want. h51 is like a full reflectored flashlight, it is basically a typical flashlight beam but at a 90 degree angle. if you want a balance between flood and throw, get that.. it's really efficient on nimh, 1xaa for around 190 lumens right? that's really impressive

the h501 has an optic for pure flood, which would be closer to literally having a lamp on your head. its better for up close tasks. it's not as bright but if you're in a poorly lit area working up close, 80 lumens should be good.. the h501w has a nice tint to it too, i hear.

if they made the h501 or an h30w using XP-G's or better, i would consider…

Look on ebay or local hardware stores, they have a bunch of stuff in stock for cheap.

i carry my CR2 & a minichamp in my coin pocket. i've lost things before off my keychain and have recently switched to pocket carrying as much as possible. i lost my keyless entry at a bar after sitting on a bench where my fob slipped through a cracks and caught so when i stood up it popped off without me even noticing. then i lost a SAK manager & mutikey after a valet caught the split ring on one of their hooks and bent it open.